1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who hates gay stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Andstillimhere7, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I hate how in some media there are gay characters and it irks me so much. I know there are few gay characters in media that are stereotypical, but sometimes though

2. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    LGBT stereotypes are gay- and not just because they're stereotypes applied to homosexual people.
    (Ba-dum, tssh)
    That pun was horrible. Anyways, the stereotype that annoys me the most is the flamboyant gay stereotype.

3. musicgirl18

I agree. I mean, just because there are a few flamboyants, doesn't mean we all are. It's kinda frustrating sometimes, because the fact that completely normal people could be gay never crosses most people's minds.

4. Ticklish Fish

or a hetero guy who is good looking and nice, stereotypes on media in general ruins life for everyone?

5. DesertTortoise

You mean, how straight people use and assume the stereotypes? Or is this about how some queers like and feel comfortable presenting themselves? I get being disturbed by their use in the media and TV, but for those who don't like to see genderfuck drag and swishy pretty boys, I got a problem with you. Or rather, you got a problem with yourself and your assimilated homophobia.

Get over it!

6. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't match any of the gay stereotypes. I dress like a boy, I act like a boy, I don't do girly things. I simply like the same sex. I can't say all stereotypes for homosexuals are bad, but I don't want anyone to tell me what I'm like if they don't know a thing about me.

7. Harve

What's wrong with the flamboyant gay stereotype?

8. william123

Right. I mean I myself held the stereotype about flamboyance for a long time within me when I was too scared to "become" gay for fear that it might somehow transform me. These ridiculous stereotypes have go to end! It's just making it more difficult for people who are trying to come out.

9. Harve

Not really. I really don't see anyone saying 'oh every gay guy acts like this'. If you know you're not flamboyant, then don't act flamboyant? I don't think anyone's requesting otherwise.

The stereotype exists because many gay guys are flamboyant. It doesn't make being flamboyant a bad thing, we just simply need to recognise that not every gay guy acts like that (which I think we do recognise). The stereotype doesn't have to 'end', and it won't when there are people who feel naturally inclined to fulfil the stereotype.

And suggesting that 'completely normal' is the opposite of flamboyance is pretty offensive. And this is coming from someone who's so-called 'completely normal' in terms of gender expression.

#9 Harve, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  10. Kreiger

Most people do recognize that we're not all like the entire cast of Glee, but the media likes to simplify things. Stereotype them, shock people with the stark contrast to the norm. Its a lot of annoying sensationalism to think we all act flamboyant, but I don't think its gonna do too much damage in the long term. Being gay has been getting less and less shocking as the years go by.

11. edgy

edgy Guest

"....Anyways, the stereotype that annoys me the most is the flamboyant gay stereotype...."
    ^^^ this

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like them. I think they confine who you could be, try to make you conform.

Bob Dylan had a line:

"And forces who hype you and type you to be just like them"

I don't want to be among the limited gay stereotypes available; the macho man, some stray member of The Village people, overtly effeminate, or otherwise defined by some outline from Television, from that limited variety of gay 'types' portrayed in the media.

It is all fine, who you are, but I'd rather just be me.

13. LiquidSwords

I think there's quite a lot wrong with it actually, the assumption that all gay guys act in a certain way, which is what the stereotype does. There are definitely a lot of people out there who think like this, like my dad who refused to believe my brother that a teacher of his was gay because he didn't "seem gay" when he met him at parents evening, it's ridiculous obviously but actually pretty common, I hear this sort of thing all the time.

What's also ridiculous is someone struggling to accept themselves as gay because they don't associate with the stereotype but this was a large part of why I hated being gay when I was growing up, and again I think not uncommon, william123 seems to have felt similarly. Or like at my rugby club, which is a very heterosexual and masculine environment, people's preconceptions about what it means to be gay, in terms of behaviour, make it that much harder for me to come out.

So yeah, I think the stereotype makes it quite a bit harder for gay guys who don't fit the stereotype, especially those who are opposite to the stereotype, to accept and then come out as gay, and I wish media wouldn't perpetuate it.

Should stick in a disclaimer here that I of course have no problem with any guy, gay or not, who acts effeminate or flamboyant, it's just not me.

14. VioletXena

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ugh. The way that the media represents the queer community is just not accurate. The flamboyant gay stereotype, the ridiculously hot lesbians, etc., etc… I think that media representation is a good thing, but only if it's pretty much free from stereotypes. I also feel that media representation of different "flavours" of queerness is out of proportion. From what I've seen, the trans* community and asexual people are seriously underrepresented.

15. Saint Otaku

I think stereotypes are great fun! :grin:

I'll let be how something wishes to be and I'll just be me! I try neither to conform to nor resist stereotypes, so if I come across as stereotypical, then "oh well..." ^.^

That said, I've surprised quite a few people whom I've come out to, so I suppose I'm not too stereotypical.

16. DesertTortoise

I repeat: I get being disturbed by their use in the media and TV, but for those (I mean other queers) who don't like to see genderfuck drag and swishy pretty boys, I got a problem with you.

Or rather, you got a problem with yourself and your assimilated homophobia.

Get over it!

Cause you ain't 'normal." The normal world is totally fucked up, a killing raping torturing machine gone mad. You want to look normal? You got something wrong with you... namely, same thing's wrong with the normal world, most of which wants us dead.

Much of this is being unaware of history, or of political power and how it works in this world. We need to develop queer class consciousness.

Harry Hay said that 50 years ago. Long before Stonewall. Everyone does know what stonewall was, right?

#16 DesertTortoise, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  17. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't like the flamboyant stereotype, I don't mind flamboyant people but it seems that there arent any gay guys on tv who act like everyone else. It seems like the tv producers don't understand that being gay only affects who you love and are attracted to and nothing else

Also the fact that the only openly gay guy in my grade has red hair and knits in class doesn't help the people in my grades perspective of gay people at all. It seems like everyone here believes we all are extremely feminine

18. Hiems

Your point reminded me of some of my peers from high school. Many girls thought that straight guys were jerks who liked to tease people. Niceness from guys, for the lack of a better term, fired people's gay-dars, especially if the guy looked attractive. They didn't realize that there are straight guys who are nice and gay guys who are assholes >_> Demeanor isn't correlated to sexuality.

19. Oxelotl

I hate it. Not necessarily the fact that there are homosexuals who are, as an example, flamboyant. Which there are and I have no problems with that, it's the fact that people assume that all homosexuals follow that stereotype (again as an example). Sterotypes shouldn't really exist. Every person is just as they are, and some are flamboyant, some are the opposite and that can apply to heterosexuals as well. Everyone is unique and I hate that people are subjected to this belief that all people are either black or white. If that made any sense.

20. DesertTortoise

For the one worried about classmates thinking gays are way feminine... well, shit. That's not something to apologize for! Being more balanced, fem masc is, being more of whole human person! We are NOT just one thing--all male, all female.

Google for hairy bears photos and show them those! That'll shoe 'em the other side of 'gay!' Ha!

You want He-Man, man, we got it in Queer Spades! ... butt, I mean, but, um.. these are he men who can maybe even knit while making love!