1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to anime, suggestions, anyone?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by chercheur, Dec 14, 2013.

1. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always heard good things about it but have never been able to get into it, cuz it's nt really my thing, but I figured, hey might as well give it a shot!

I've recently watched a bit of East of Eden, Ouran Host Club, and Moonphase and so far East of Eden is my favorite. I lthink I'd prolly ike the adventure/journey themed animes more, and also am not into the darker, grittier ones so much (I prefer bubbly lol!). Like I said, I've watched almost none..I'm more of the Disney type looolol (can't count how many times I've seen The Little Mermaid).

Any suggestion? Cuz I knowww y'all loove your anime!

#1 chercheur, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. forbiddenlove12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I definitely recommend Bleach it is very good however the story is freakishly long but for the most part really enjoyable Naruto is also very good :slight_smile:

3. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Depends on what kind of stuff you like.
    Anime is a very wide medium.

4. Foxface

Angel Beats

It has action, humor and extreme feels

Foxface

5. Eevar

I quite enjoy(ed) the following (its quite a list, I have too much spare time, but I have barely scratched the surface).
    In no particular order; Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden, Bleach, One Piece, AKB0048 and AKB0048 Next Stage, Log Horizon, Magi and Magi: The Kingdom of Magic, Kingdom and Kingdom 2, Cowboy Bebop, Attack on Titan/Shingeki No Kyojin (its the same one, but can be found under either name), Fairy Tail (though it ends suddenly on episode 175), Cat Shit One (yes that is it's name), Karneval, Sword Art Online, Fruit Basket, Outbreak Company, Basilisk, Love Hina (...I've not watched that for years), Death Note, Fooly Cooly, Mushibugyou, Azumanga Daioh, Samurai Champloo, Berserk, Gantz, Kamisama Hajimemashita (though it ends abruptly), Blood+, 5 Centimeters Per Second, Afro Samurai, Amnesia, Last Exile and Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam, Avatar, Saint Seiya and Saint Seiya Omega, Trigun, and finally the obvious one, Pokemon.

As An Gentleman has said, Anime is a very wide medium, still I recommend trying every genre as you may be surprised.

6. BadCanadaJoke

start with death note(a bit dark but you can't say you watch anime without it, it's like saying you haven't seen mean girls, life just isn't worth much without it :/ )

buccano,fullmetal alchemist and gurren lagan are good starters too.(you will LOVE guren laggan, trust me :wink:)
    Of course bleach and naruto too, but they might be too long for you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    My personal all time favorite is code geass...

Don't take my word, look them up. Check the plots. See what interests you :wink:

7. Fate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Movies:
    Spirited away(perfect for a fan of disney who wants to discover anime...full of fantasy, beautiful landscapes, interesting characters, an alice in wonderland feel but more surreal and with tons of metaphors

Howl's moving castle (one of my favorites too), totoro, ponyo, paprika.

Series:
    Ranma(fuc*ng hilarious! Frantically comic!)
    Samurai champloo(light hearted and dramatic depending on the moment)
    Sword art online(beautiful landscapes, fantasy, misterious places, some comedy, some romance some drama)

All this are good for someone who loves disney and wants to explore anime

9. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

If you don't like darker, grittier series, I would avoid Attack on Titan and the '03 Fullmetal Alchemist. While the latter is adventure, it's definitely darker than its 2009 counterpart, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. (I prefer '03 personally.)

I would recommend Princess Jellyfish, Sora no Woto, and Wandering Son. They're not adventures, but they are varying degrees of light and happy. The last one is also about LBGTQ issues, especially gender identity.

You might like Kino's Journey. It's definitely a journey-themed anime, but it can get dark at times.

There's also Natsume's Book of Friends. It primarily explores themes of loneliness and friendship, and it's not really dark or light. I can see a Disney fan enjoying it.

Lastly, I would definitely recommend Little Witch Academia. It's only a one-episode OVA, but it's absolutely brilliant. Plus it has a very Disney-esque feel to it.

Edit: Those are just series I can think of off the top of my head. I might be able to come up with more to watch (or avoid).

One thing I should say because a lot of people seem to fall into this trap: Madoka Magica is much darker than the promotional material suggests. It's my all-time favorite, if you don't like dark, don't watch it.

#9 Tetraquark, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  10. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Woww, thank you guys all for your suggestions, awesome ssauuce :grin: I'ma try a few of these, thanks so much!

An,yeah, Fate, I saw a couple like that and it doesn't hold my interest either, like it's too involved to keep me watching for long. I prefer mini series type shows in general usually :/

11. Kreiger

Definetly go for either Fullmetal Alchemist series, they've both got something for everyone, but the remake is definitely the less dark, although its got its moments...

12. Oxelotl

You can't go pass Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist or Death Note. If you like really really long animes Naruto is great. If you can tolerate high levels of violence Hellsing is a great series to watch, and my favourite all time anime is Shingeki no Kyojin (attack on Titan, which is quite new so definitely get into that)

13. Lost taco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would suggest sword art online it's only 25 eps but has a good story line

14. Kyllani

Definitely check out Attack on Titan. I've been quite anti-anime for a long time, and a friend convinced me to give it a try just a few hours ago actually. I'm a few episodes in now, and I'm hooked!