1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age of Empires 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Robert, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does anyone else play this? I play it almost every other day :slight_smile:

Just curious :slight_smile:

2. emkorora

emkorora Guest

I used to. :grin: My brother played Age of Empires I, II, and III a lot. We really loved creating maps on AoE II.

My favorite faction was the Mongols, his was also the Huns (so very over-powered cavalry...).

I also played a few other similar games. Empire Earth, Age of Mythology (same concept as AoE, done by same company), and the Total War series. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 16th Dec 2013 at 11:31 PM ----------

If you're looking for a very similar game to AoE, try Age of Mythology. It's pretty fun-- different tactics but the same basic game. :slight_smile:

3. AlamoCity

I used to play AoE II, but I changed to AoE III. I was always the British and built naval forces to control the waters and the game (if there was water).

For AoE II (and III) my strategy was always to have an economic boom as soon as possible to level up as quickly as I could while also creating defensive walls and towers ASAP all over my kingdom. That way, if I was attacked by an early rush, I could divert resources to create military forces (which took some time) to respond without having my village and villagers destroyed/killed. I usually won the game using technologically advanced military forces and sheer strength supported by my strong economy. It's actually been 2 years since I last played because I bought a Mac and didn't want to buy the games again haha.

4. LiquidSwords

Not sure I ever played that but when I was younger I loved playing stuff like Command and Conquer, Empires Dawn of the Modern World and all the Total War games.

Fun times but I spent far too much time on them.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I lost a whole summer break once to AoEII back when it came out...I don't even remember doing anything else, I spent the whole time making one campaign and it was GLORIOUS.

I made full use of all the triggers and stuff, it was a real good story. Shame it's gone now.

6. ryanalexander61

I love simulation games. I played every Age of Empires, Age of Kings, Sim City. Rise of Nations was also great because it was more modern and you could arm ships and subs with cruise missiles and nukes.

There was also a Star Wars game built of the AofE core. You could design your own cities with star wars buildings and characters, it was sweet.

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds :grin: I recreated the entire set of films on that once ;D

8. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Best part of Galactic Battlegrounds for me was using the Empire to mow down the Jar Jar Binks and his ilk.

9. hazza

Oh yes! I have far too much love for this game. I'm just getting back into it again after half a year away from it as I was playing too much of it. I started back again on single player to get the hang of my tactics again and tonight just started multiplayer again - a few games of CBA and I watched a LN game as well. Its great to on Voobly that there are still hundreds of people at any time online to play the game.

Speaking of maps, LN would have to be my favourite RM followed by FN, while Rambit CB would be my favourite CS (sadly it's incredibly tricky to find a game of that, as pretty much every CB these days is CBA). I do enjoy CBA and have played many games of it, though it does suck if when you would get Persians and be cornered next to Saracens, or if you are Mayans up against Goths...

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    AOE III is the game I've played the longest, and I love it! I've also played AOE II or some older game with a friend, which I also liked. I was quite addicted to it, sometimes playing for hours on end. The multiple strategies and learning how to counter different civilizations/factions is very satisfying for me. My favorite civilizations were French, Russian, and German.

I play on my Mac, and I'm sad that the Gameranger service for online multiplayer was broken with the current OS 10.9; playing alone against the computer (even on expert level) is boring. :frowning2:

11. Nikky DoUrden

I used to play it a lot !
    I really liked the fact that it is real cultures and the ages progression .. that's also what I like about civilization games, plus in AoE they also tell historical battles which I though its cool (Saladin, Khan, John-of-Arc ..)

12. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I might have to reinstall AOE3 at some point. I never really got into it despite loving that entire time period (I blame Dawn of War) so I'd like to give it more of a chance.

Might pick up AOE2HD when it pops up in a Steam sale.

13. huehue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've played AOEI , II ,Mythology and its expansions...

Bought AOEIII and it didn't work on my laptop,now it works on my new one but I don't live home anymore haha.

AOEII was legendary tho.

I used to play against the computer and literally have 3 day long games haha.

But then online in AOM ...changed my life until it got taken down two years ago (or so I believe!)

I saw the AOEII remake in Steam sale for £4 or something two weeks ago too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Aare

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I still think AOE2 is the best RTS ever made. xD