1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

paul waters the philosopher prince

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Reddy, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Reddy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I wonder if anyone has read this book by Paul Waters. If not, it is highly recommended for anyone interested in historical fiction. It covers some of the events of the Roman general, then emporer Julian.

It features two gay protagonists, Drusus and Marcellus, who are lovers and soldiers in Julian's army. The book is actually number two in a set, Cast not the Day is book one. I however, read the second first and will be starting on the first as soon as it arrives on my doorstep.

Julian has come down through history with the title "the apostate" appended to his name. julian was raised Christian but later turned to paganism and was the last pagan emporer to preside over the Roman empire. In this book, you definately get the sense that Waters views Christianity negatively. There is only one Christian character, the bishop of Paris, who is portrayed somewhat sympathetically. While it is a view that I sympathize with, Christians I am sure will disagree....

Anyway, good book, well worth checking out...