1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP to all the gay characters we lost this year

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by sokk, Dec 19, 2013.

1. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    In Memoriam: Honoring The Gay TV Characters We Lost This Year - thebacklot.com, Page 3

Wonderful list, isn't it? Are you guys going to continue to tell me we don't have a problem with gay characters on tv? I mean as in, there's hardly any gay characters left.

Just want to remind you that the lesbians have lesbian characters in 40 shows on American tv. That same number for the gays is 7. That's six times as many lesbian characters as gay characters! How exactly is this fair?!

2. lukeluvznicki13

I didn't even realise there were that many xD

3. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's because most of them are barely there gay characters without storylines. On top of that they're usually asexual too. Because showing gay men kissing or having sex is still taboo I guess (for an example, just check out Modern Family).

4. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    They're not asexual if they have attraction to people of the same sex. There's a difference between Asexuality and celibacy; being celibate is a choice, whereas Asexuality is an orientation and thus not a choice.

5. Harve

Quality not quantity.

The writings on the two Hollyoaks tombstones amused me.

6. kem

kem

To be fair, I recall seeing 4-5 kisses of any kind on Modern Family. No one's intimate on that show. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention though

7. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You're right. I apologize. I should rather say "gay characters that never have sex because gay sex is still too controversial for tv".

---------- Post added 21st Dec 2013 at 01:45 AM ----------

But it's not like the gay characters we have right now are of good quality anyway. Like I said.. they're barely there without story lines, and they hardly ever get to kiss or have sex. If the gay characters were treated the same as straight characters, or even lesbian characters then ok. But they're not. I'd accept 6 times fewer gay characters than lesbian characters if they were actually treated like living, breathing, sexual human beings. But they're not. It's not only the amount of characters I have a problem with, but how they are treated. The portrayal of gay characters is abysmal.