1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue is the Warmest Color: NC-17?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by darlig ulv, Dec 24, 2013.

1. darlig ulv

I was curious to see the new film Blue is the Warmest Color, then I found out it was rated NC-17, so even accompanied by a parent I would not be admitted. I've heard the scenes are explicit, but not vulgar. I mean, I've seen rape references, pedophilia, and drug use under an R-rating (Kill Bill, you were great, but I'm talking to you). It won the Palme d'Or at Cannes, so it's supposed to be good, enough so that the IFC in Manhattan says it will even admit teenagers. Has anyone seen the film? Did you like it? Did you think it deserved an NC-17?

:***:

2. yeah see blood, gore and violence against womyn is nothing

but just let them show a womon enjoying sex BAM! that is forbidden, the scenes are probably nothing, this happens completely in every lesbian or any movie about females having sex and liking it

MPAA is famous for this

3. Scarlet Me

Ow, but the scenes are beautifull. I can see why they would rate it mature, but then again the film itself mostly appeals to a mature audience. It is an incredible movie though, and you should definetly watch it. The mature content only adds to the message and story, so they were right adding it.

4. Kreiger

That's annoying that they stuck it with NC-17 though, that's usually box office poison. Hopefully they won't have to trim too much to make it R for a general release.

5. Harve

In all fairness, it's quite explicit - in addition to the lesbian sex scenes, you see an erect penis. I think sexual content gives films a high restriction very easily, but having said that, I'd feel uneasy if my 14 year old sister watched it.

Great film though.

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The irony is that as I recall the reason NC-17 was created was because the old "X" rating was the kiss of death on a movie.

7. starfish

I want to see this. When is it coming out on DVD? A theater near me had it on a few weeks back, but I had a conflict and was unable to watch it.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not an erect penis! I hear you turn into stone, if you see one of those.

Seriously, I don't see why we're so hung up on the idea that nudity and Romance in a serious film is going to 'harm' teenagers. Not one iota, not one scintilla of evidence exists that this is the case, whereas instead, it's OK to show as much blood and violence as you please.

The MPAA are a bunch of conservative old fuddy-duddies, stuck back in time. The whole rating system needs to be abolished, and started afresh. As I recall, they also tried to give a documentary about gay students getting bullied an NC-17, just because it was about gay teens.

9. Huma

It's the one film that has been in my mind for some time now... I love 'Blue' and wanna watch it! :grin:

Btw, my avatar is from 'Blue'

10. yes,

an erect penis may barely get you an R , and not even a HARD R, rape scences don't even get R's

male nudity is fine for them it is the female that they can't stand

MPAA is entrenched in the Patriarchy & the 50's it has nothing to to with "harming children" and everything to do with controlling society's progress & minds.

11. Red ribbon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    oh i loved it! if u can't watch just download it off the internet, its way easier.

12. Allecto

It sounds interesting in theory, but I heard that the (male) director was really creepy towards the main actresses and I don't feel comfortable with that.

13. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This movie never would have been made if it was about gays instead of lesbians. Lesbians are mainstream today, nothing taboo or controversial at all with showing lesbian sex. Gay sex on the other hand.. yeah, people would react. Lesbian sex is a turn on for straight men and they're the men who rule this world. So lesbians are by default not a big deal. Straight men see gay men as threatening, and that's why there's so little representation of gay men on tv and in movies.