1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doctor Who Christmas Special

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 2112, Dec 25, 2013.

1. 2112

What did you think of it? Honestly, I was a bit disappointed, but at least it explained everything that didn't make sense from the last 3 years. Can't wait for Capaldi. :slight_smile:

2. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually had no idea what was going on in it. I've never watched Doctor Who before, but I just wanted to see Peter Capaldi's debut. Love the guy. :grin:

3. Oxelotl

I thought it was pretty good. I thought Matt's send off was good, and I liked Capaldi's introduction (The casual offhand comment of "We're probably Crashing" is brilliant). I honestly thought they tried to put waaaay too much stuff in the episode so it felt rushed, or the solution to series long problems was just casually wrapped up in a line or so. But I enjoyed it and can't wait for season 8.

4. kem

kem

NOOOOO please no spoilers! It doesn't air until the 29th in Finland ;___;
    I love Capaldi, I loved Malcolm Tucker in In The Loop, too bad the series it's based on wasn't in Netflix, can't wait for his Doctor. Ahh is it weird that i think he's hotter than Tennant and Smith combined (not that I think sex appeal has anything to do with being a good Doctor)?

5. 2112

It wouldn't make sense to anyone who hadn't seen series 5-7, and even my mom who had seen a lot of it (but not all) didn't understand what was happening. Since series 5, they've made it so you can't miss one episode or you'll be confused. Capaldi's great, he was in one episode a few years ago (not as the Doctor obviously) and series 3 of Torchwood (Doctor Who spinoff), which was brilliant.

6. Mrtambourineman

It was appalling. Poor plot, poor acting and I did not understand most of it. His assistant mumbled throughout and I had to put subtitles on so I could understand what she was saying. If you havent seen it yet, dont bother. An hour of my life ill never get back.

7. AtticusJohn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was the worst Christmas Special I've ever watched, it was brutal and an appalling send off for Matt Smith; Steven Moffat's writing is getting worse and worse, I don't know why they keep him. It felt like a montage of Steven Moffat's Greatest Hits, it was just so disappointing ugh.

Oh I don't know why Jenna bothers showing up, they could just have a cardboard cut out of Clara and have her occasionally spit out "sassy" lines; it would have the same amount of character development.

8. Silenthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with those who say that it was a bad and disappointing Christmas special. The worst by far, because all the other Christmas specials were excellent. They tried so hard to finish plot lines that there was no plot to speak of. I did not know what was going on and had to go to Wikipedia to figure out the plot. Even then, I thought-- Meh.

But Matt Smith's good-bye was poignant. I will miss him.

9. HavocKat

HavocKat Guest

I liked the acknowledgment of how much time could pass before he would die of old age, I think Clara is interesting I just hope they haven't already gone too far by explaining how she is the "impossible girl" already so I hope that they will really focus on character development for her in the new series (but lets face it, character development for the companions has never seemed to be a priority regardless of the writer/showrunner). I liked the send off but wish we had more Capaldi in the last few minutes, overall I'm at a 5/10, I've seen better but didn't hate it.

10. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I didn't think much of it. Since series 5 I've just got more disillusioned with it, they've been buggering about too much with plot arcs that are far too long and convoluted and series finales that are too ridiculous (they all seem to follow the same formula... the universe vs. the doctor). With this one I thought Clara was pretty redundant and the episode pretty weak in terms of acting etc. The plot held together at least. It's not the worst I've seen but it's a far cry from the best for certain.

I'm not as opposed to it as I am to the ending they did for the 50th anniversary though.

11. kem

kem

Just watched it again after it aired earlier today. I liked this episode although it seemed like it was a bit too lengthy considering how much actually happened in the episode. I'm happy that it cleared some of the mysteries revolving around the past three seasons, but doing that, I think they neglected the story arc of the episode.
    oh my god, as far as sex appeal goes: Peter Capaldi > every other doctor
    I really like his Malcom Tucker and considering the splendour with which he said his first couple of lines I'm sure he'll be brilliant.
    Wow that regeneration though. The explosion at the start of the new cycle were beautifully violent, and the swift faceswap: WOW. trying not too hard too read into it, but the way he said "I've got new kidneys – don't like the colour" was absolutely brilliant, it was so casual but dismayed at the same time; sort of like when you unwrap a chocolate you haven't tasted before and it doesn't taste as great as you'd expected

12. franc

I think it was a bit too short for me considering the things they needed to tie up. That regeneration was too quick for me though, I know his regeneration started when he aged down, but the transformation to Capaldi was meh. Too bad there was no Rory.

13. musicgirl18

While I'm not a huge fan of Moffat's writing, I did think the episode was rather clever, if a bit short. I was slightly disappointed by the abrupt ending though. It was kinda like, well, he's Capaldi now, the end. I feel like Moffat tends to depend on a few specific villains, while never bringing anything new in. It gets a bit dull after a while. Throughout the whole episode I was just, "yup, oh look, he brought the daleks in... and the cybermen... and, everything, else." *sigh* I honestly hope that BBC finds a new writer soon, I've been very disappointed by Moffat for the last few seasons. I have enjoyed Clara though, I think she's funny, and cute. :slight_smile:

14. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looking at the comments here, I can definitely recognize another reason why Homestuck isn't for everyone: Writing style.

Stephen Moffat and Andrew Hussie have very similar writing styles that seem to me like the two must have met at Comic Con and exchanged contact info or something. It's scary. What both of these guys like to do (and it's something I love in writing) is that they'll show you the oddest pieces of a puzzle that look like they don't fit at all, and they look like there might never be a way for them to be pieced together. But then when it comes time for wrapping up a spot, they string everything together seamlessly. It's fantastic. Moffat did this in more ways than I think there are Doctors in this. But as someone said before, it was really long and it finished a LONG going plotline that had been aching to be finished. While I personally like that kind of writing, obviously not everyone does.

The regeneration was actually my personal favorite. Everyone seems to be thinking of a regeneration as just the face changing, but it's EVERYTHING. Once the glowy part starts, the regeneration doesn't finish until there's no more glowy things (and I think a bit afterwards). So the regeneration was actually much longer than most of the Doctors, and it's really one of the biggest, and coolest regenerations I've seen.

The thing is, I do count the clock tower scene as part of the regeneration, and I saw someone on Youtube say that if the Doctor had done that in the TARDIS, we would have also seen the end of Clara, a brand new companion who, to me, looks like she may need some character development with Capaldi. I think there's a big potential with those two.

Also, loving Capaldi.

15. WeAreYoung

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wonder if the kids that watched it had a clue what was going on cause I didn't haha!