1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer trouble!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by crimsonarcher, Jun 23, 2008.

1. crimsonarcher

I don't have much time to type this, so i better hurry. Ok, my computer stops responding so often now that the computer won't go past the sartup screen. like, right now it could freeze. It's really annoying cause there are violent episodes of freezing, and periods of normal function(like now). what could it be that's causing this?

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When does it happen? All the time, or during specific periods (say, boot process, after login, while using a particular application or set of applications)...

Does the computer ever recover from the frozen state, or does it have to be rebooted?

Does it display any error messages, or reboot by itself without your intervention?

If it happens all the time and independently of what the computer is doing, there are chances of a faulty memory module, which might require replacement, or power supply issues.

3. crimsonarcher

it happens randomly, like before booting to surfing the web.
    it has to be rebooted.
    sometimes it reboots itself.

4. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then yeah, I'd say memory problems or a faulty power supply. You probably need to take it somewhere...

It would be useful if you had an Ubuntu Linux CD... they come with a memory test program which would be useful to identify memory problems.

5. crimsonarcher

hmm, i'll look into it- thanks!