1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"The Prestige"

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by sexyalex, Jun 23, 2008.

1. sexyalex

This is a movie staring Huge Jackman, one of my favourite actors:grin: but for all who have seen this movie...can u explain it? Now seriosuly, i watched it twice and still havn't gotten 1/2 of what was going on. :dry:

I knew the machine made copies of him but that other guy?:eusa_eh:

for anyone who has not seen this movie, it would be a good movie to rent if your into Fantasy / Drama / Thriller etc.:lol:

see below for trailer....
    [YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=MgNVC6Hv4KE[/YOUTUBE]

2. TyraBanksIsFierce

Lol, neither did I.

I was just like o.o at the end

3. Davey

i loved the movie as well but i can't help you either. i'm still very confused on a lot of it.

4. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This hapens to be one of my favorite movies. . . but I did have to watch it twice to figure out most of what was going on. It's been a while since I actually saw it, so the names a pretty fuzzy, but I'll do the best I can. The movie is not shown chronologically, so I might have some of the sequences of events off.

WARNING: severe spoilers. do NOT read if you haven't watched the film

For most of the movie, you're watching Borden read Angier's journal, where Angier is reading Borden's journal. Angier thinks Borden caused his wife to die, so they start a pretty vicious rivalry. Borden comes up with a trick, and Angier obsesses over how to best it. But Borden keeps humiliating him. So Borden goes to America to see Tesla, and gets this machine that can make a copy of pretty much anything. Angier uses this to lure Borden into a trap and then he fakes his own death. Angier reveals himself to Borden in prison, and Angier (in the guise of a count or something like that) takes guardianship of Borden's daughter. Fallon follows Angier to where he stored all of his 'clones' and confronts him. He reveals that Borden was actually a set of twins living as a single individual, and that was how their trick worked. Angier then explains how each night one copy fell into the water tank and one copy went to the balcony. Borden kills Angier and the warehouse catches on fire. Borden, as Fallon, reunites with his daughter.

That's a pretty basic summary, but it's about the best I can do. It's a pretty convoluted story, but part of the fun is piecing together what exactly happened.

5. cc6log

The whole subplot with Edison vs. Tesla was great on top of the rest of the movie.
    And the part where Michael Caine changes his earlier statement about how peaceful death was kind of topped it off for me...
    I am usually pretty good at figuring out movies before they end, but this one was crazy enough that I had pretty much not a damn clue... Great flick

6. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw it and thought it was a pretty good movie.

7. otc877

otc877 Guest

I loved the birds in this movie and how they were symbolic of the magicians. Especially in the parts where the birds would be killed in order for the trick to work, and then the prestige bird would be pulled out.

(Terrible with names)
    There's two of the main characters. Tesla cloned the main character magician guy and they both lived the same life. When the wife would say things like "You really mean it this time" (when the guy would say I love you) because the two magicians had fallen for two seperate women. The original, his wife, and the clone the assistant. So, when one of the clones goes to jail for murder, the other main character exacts revenge and kills the man he went to prison for killing.

I'm sure that made 0 sense, it's close to 3 A.M.

8. kramer362

I think The Prestige is fantastic and Christopher Nolan is a brilliant director and screenwriter. I have all the confidence in the world The Dark Knight will be fantastic as well, as it better be since it's the movie I'm anticipating most this year!

9. sexyalex

wow....:eusa_clap tri bein. I couldn't have summarized this better, so Borden has a biological identical twin?! so when Angier's manager told him Borden had no tricks and did it the same way he did, he was actually telling the truth....but Angier was too obsessed to beleive and thought that if he could use science as substitue for magic then he would be a step ahead of Borden....

...did i get it right?:eusa_doh:

10. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, that's about it.