1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay-themed TV Shows/Movies?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by benjy497, Dec 30, 2013.

1. benjy497

benjy497 Guest

Can you guys give me some ideas of gay-themed (preferably involving boys) TV Shows or Movies that came out in the last five years or so? I only know about Skins and Shameless...
    btw I've also heard about an upcoming HBO series involving gay characters, it's called ''Looking'' and it will start by Jan. 19. Don't really know what to expect.

2. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
  3. AwkwardTalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Queer As Folk (18+),there are two versions, UK (original) and US. Nurse Jackie had two gay characters in the first season but only one remains. I hear Game of Thrones has a gay couple, I think two men.

4. Night Rain

For movies, there's Monster Pies. It's actually quite good despite the ratings, albeit very cliche. And the ending isn't a happy one.

5. AwkwardTalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Curiosity of Chance, You Should Meet My Son, A Touch Of Pink and Juste Une Question d'Amour are all very good films. The last one is in french but there is a link with english subtitles. The shows and movies I've given you have come out in the past fifteen years or so but do portray gay people nicely (for lack of better words) if that's why you want shows and movies that came out in the past five years.

6. benjy497

benjy497 Guest

Thanks y'all! :slight_smile:

7. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here are some gay movies that should be on your "short list" to see. These are among the "best of the best" of what I've seen:

Shelter - My personal favorite. A romantic drama, set in California, in which a young gay man comes to terms with his sexuality and takes charge of his life.

Big Eden - romantic drama in which a gay man moves to Montana to take care of his aging grandfather, and finds unexpected acceptance and love.

Brokeback Mountain - the most famous gay-themed drama. From a cinematic perspective the best there is, but be forewarned: it's a tragic story.

Latter Days - Romantic comedy about a California pick-up artist who develops an unexpected romance with a Mormon missionary.

I Do - Romantic drama about a gay Englishman who, facing deportation, marries a woman to stay in the USA. Things get complicated when he falls in love with a Spanish architect.

Maurice - Merchant-Ivory adaptation of the E.M. Forster novel. A classy period/costume drama with high-powered acting talent.

You Should Meet My Son! - AwkwardTalker already mentioned this farcical comedy, in which a mother keeps trying to fix up her son with women, until finding out he's gay. Nearly unfazed, she sets off on a hilarious journey to get her son married off, to a man this time...

Queer Duck - A silly, animated comedy - the "Airplane!" of gay cinema. You won't catch your breath, you'll be laughing so much as jokes about pop culture come flying...

Summer Storm (Sommersturm) - a German coming-of-age tale, in which a crew team member has unrequited feelings for his best friend.

Weekend - a recent English romantic drama, with powerful and intimate acting. Two guys start out with a hook-up, and then discover they want a lasting relationship.

Undertow (Contracorriente) - A beautifully photographed ghost story from Colombia, with a gay romance as a major plot element.

Behind the Candelabra - A biopic about the flamboyant, yet closeted gay pianist, Liberace, told from the point-of-view of his ex-boyfriend, Scott Thorson.

Milk - Biographical drama about Harvey Milk, the gay activist and politician, who was brutally murdered in San Francisco.

Breakfast With Scot - A heartwarming family comedy, in which a gay male couple assumes parental duties for an orphaned, yet very flamboyant, boy.

Any Day Now - Set in the '70s, a gay couple must fight a homophobic legal system to adopt a boy with Down's Syndrome.

Km. 0 (Kilometer Zero) - A Spanish romantic comedy of mistaken identities.

--

I'm much more of a movie than a TV guy, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Will & Grace" or "Glee" yet...

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Mulligans" - the plot centers around a college guy and his best friend from college's dad. It is far from being a good movie, quality-wise, but it's generally easy to watch and not that long. Also, it doesn't make what is really a heavy issue seem heavy. On top of that, there is some seriously faulty character development. The setting and the quality of these people's lives are out of a storybook, so you wonder what was in the writer's head that they didn't add as much realism and depth as they could have. I'd still watch it, though, just to jog your brain and try to fill in all the gaps.

9. Red ribbon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    "Blue Is the Warmest Color", very sad but nice.

10. Harve

Blue Is The Warmest Colour, Les amours imaginaires, J'ai tué ma mère and Weekend are my favourites. I'll get around to Queer As Folk. One day.

Oh and I saw 'Geography Club' and it was even worse than I expected.

11. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Red Dirt is really good. The movie gets into things kind of slow though.

12. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What was wrong with "The Geography Club?" I just saw the trailer and thought it looked pretty good.

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't seen "Red Dirt" in its full length, but the trailer conveys that it's intense and sensual. Those Southerners aren't as clueless as people stereotypically think they are. Everyone sort of has things figured out. Of the two guys, I think the one that is the transient boarder is the more attractive of the two. He's got that blue collar, no time for BS, let's get down and dirty appeal. The trailer alone conveys a lot of tension.

14. Oxelotl

Will and Grace
    The L Word (more lesbian based but still)
    6 Feet under strongly features a gay main character/relationship
    So Does Modern Family, Glee.
    Queer as Folk (Both British and American)

I'm sure there is another one that has fairly prominent gay themes but I can't think of it. As for movies....No idea.

15. PurpleGrey

My personal favorite male gay-themed film is Priest (1994). It's a bit controversial in both plots, but that's part of why I like it.

Plot A involves Father Greg discovering that a girl is being sexually abused by her father, and his struggle with the sanctity of confession (which is crap, the filmmakers didn't do their homework).

Plot B involves Father Greg struggling with his lust for another man, not because he's gay, but because he's breaking the vow of celibacy. When he's outed in the trial of him not saying anything about the girl, the church and the parishioners turn on him.

16. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    It is a very emotionally intense film, almost depressing. There are a lot of symbolic elements too. You might cry at the end.

17. biggayguy

It's far from recent but I love Are You Being Served. Mr. Humphries is quite swishy and Mrs. Slocombe is always talking about her pussy (cat). Mrs Slocombe's Pussy - YouTube

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here's the YouTube trailer. EVERYBODY in it knows something is up.

Red Dirt Trailer - YouTube

19. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    OMG!!! Whoever made that trailer should be fired! Horrible! :eek:

Red Dirt is a beautifully sad movie but that trailer is a mess.

#19 KyleD, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The comments also indicate they find it bad, mostly the voice-over. However, if the cheesiness can be ignored or blotted out, the film looks pretty good.