1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia in online gaming

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by otc877, Jun 24, 2008.

1. otc877

otc877 Guest

This topic has been touched upon before, but I just saw this video and I thought I'd share with the rest of EC's gamers...

The man brings up good points on how using homophobic/racist slurs are essentially a cop-out because the person slinging them can't think of anything more original to say. It's become the norm to call somebody a "faggot" when they don't meet their expectations. Hopefully more will see this video

(Sorry, I don't know how to embed it...)
    http://news.filefront.com/sesslers-soapbox-is-tired-of-the-bigots-on-xbox-live/

Here's a pretty good example of online homophobia (even though he was asking for it)
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6alOnuN-wCY[/YOUTUBE]

#1 otc877, Jun 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
  2. Grof142007

3. InaRut

Wow. Yea that's why they say Xbox live is mainly for the frat boys.
    Hahahaha I always hit on people on Xbox though. It's funny. But I play Team Fortress. And us Team Fortress-ian's are a little more civil because...we understand what team work means :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Malchik89

Wow...well those people's ignorance is pry derived from them playing halo 24/7 so they cant actually get out in the world to make friends of their own. So in order to maintain the limited amount of artifiicial self esteem they have built for themselves in this game, they feel the need to put down the guy in pink armor, just to feel good about themselves.

and seriously, pink is such a badass color anyway, i mean seriously, you wouldnt see those guys messing with the pink power ranger, hellz no xD

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's barely even homophobia any more. Just a complete ignorance of basic knowledge and the idea that we're still human. "Faggot" has become such a common insult that it's lost nearly all connection to its original form.

6. cc6log

Sounds exactly like my friends when they play or played Halo and the people they played with or against. I haven't played video games for a few years but it doesn't surprise me that it hasn't changed much in the few years I have been out of it.

7. sexyalex

:dry: Frat boys Phil?

what is frat? These guys sound like couch potatos who have nothing to do all day but sit down and play on their Xbox with a bag of bonbons on the side. Most of whom don't have a girlfriend and the ones that do, their girlfriends are busy trying to take their relationship to the next lvl...when they just intrested in getting to the next lvl on their X-Box :dry:

i mean come on:eusa_eh:

8. Defraction

They're only talking like that because everyone else is. They're offended and scared that someone in pink has the name "xxxGayBoyxxx" blatantly obvious, and anyone standing up for him or even merely talking with him will get accused of being gay, and probably with him, etc etc.

I used to play Guild Wars and I rarely seen this kind of thing, obviously because it wasn't a "frat boy's" game. :grin: There used to be the odd moment where you had some random idiot spouting really hurtful racial comments, but then all you had to do was screenshot what they said, and report it.

I like how the only insult they can think of is the "back door" thing though.

9. Tim

Tim

:astonished: There is a reason I don't own an Xbox/Xbox360.

This happens a lot in Final Fantasy 11 and World of Warcraft, because for some reason, people automatically assume no one cares if they call someone gay or faggot as an insult. However, people who know me in the game know if they do it when I'm there, I'll fight back. I once had someone at a loss of words from something I said, which was hilarious. But yea, my Linkshell in FFXI and guild in WoW know not to say things like that when I'm there, I would leave in a heartbeat, I like being with them, but if they're gonna do something like that, they can do without me :3

10. -Michael-

Apparently its just me who found the youtube video absolutley hilarious.

Most of them were just stupid name.
    Some of them were pretty inventive.
    "Gay boy has your back, your back door!" haha i lolled.

I love gay comments and slurs.
    Its what sets me apart from the lower guilds of society.
    They say what they want because they're communicating through a bunch of zeros and ones.

But in real life, they're nothing.
    Its like the time someone from my own town starting arguing because i picked up the sniper on halo 3 haha.
    He said he was going to "smash my face in with a hammer" haha.
    So i gladly gave him my address. and postcode in case he wanted to use google maps.
    Sent him a picture of myself in case i met him in the street.

Yet to have my face smashed in.

haha

11. Trumpetplyer23

Wow...........I think I lost a few brain cells on that one.

It's sad, those games are supposed to be for fun, not a total dumbass fest.

12. InaRut

Anyone know of Pure Pwange? That's an example of homophobia in online gaming. But there it's used as kind of a comedic reference? As there is this episode where he's writing to his fans and....Bahh it's funny I assure you. But it is kinda sad how "Gay" seems to be like the greatest insult for a gamer to call another gamer out there.

What's fun though is, is that telling a 14 year old kid (who was calling EVERYTHING gay) not to be such a bigot and that calling people "Ghey is 4 teh noobs." And I got everybody on the gaming server to chant that till the kid left. Hahahah. Told you us Team Fortress people are cool like that!

Anyways,

(a t-shirt from the Pure Pwange store)

[​IMG]

13. -Michael-

XBL: CrossbredLemon
    PSN: henson92

I assure you, no bigots here :slight_smile:

14. Hoppip

Oh god, I've never seen Adam Sessler so angry! I used to watch his show on G4 called "X-Play," and he was always so cheery. He was red in the face, he looked about ready to strangle someone.

I love Adam Sessler.

And the fact that he made that video made me so happy. Hopefully gamers will listen to him, seeing as he is a pretty popular game critic.

I'm disappointed at the behavior of people on the internet. If I was good at video games (which I'm not, I'm mediocre), I'd go pwn some n00bs in the name of all that is FABULOUS!

It's good I don't play Halo. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I feel sorry for GayBoy, though.

15. otc877

otc877 Guest

I agree with the Adam Sessler bit, I used to watch his show also, and it was a bit weird to see this side of him.

The halo bit was funny, pwning people in the name of Fabulous :slight_smile:

16. jazzrawr

Frat boys are jocks and "cool guys" *rolls eyes* In college (so pretty young) and are usually pretty stupid, lol. Theyre usually the kind of guys that would beat up a gay guy. (idiots.)

But that second vid is ridiculous!!!
    I HATE people like that, who just make fun of people for no reason other than they're gay.
    just shows how stupid they are. >.<

17. Trumpetplyer23

Wow. I was shocked by Adam Sessler, but I'm glad he finally said something like that. I'm glad he's out there saying "hey, not all of us gamers are like that, because it's stupid and ignorant".

He was pretty cool in my book, but that segment bumped him up to hero level.

18. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Thats disgusting....I'm sure they all are insecure about their own sexuality.

19. Andrew

thats is just plain crazy =/. While playing on halo, people always use the word " gay " or " faggot ". You can basically consider it a curse word in the halo dictionary.

Nothing shocking for me. People on those halo games are a bunch of pricks.

20. J Schuelke

I knew there was a reason that I don't play online. People can be so stupid and immature sometimes. If I were the gay guy, I would have left that game a long time ago. No one needs to hear that sh*t.