1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New or not-so-mainstream bands?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Iodine, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Iodine

Out Status:
    All but family
    I just came across this band called Viv and the Revival and wanted to share their music, particularly I Want It.
    They have some great cover songs, too.

Another band that I'm hopelessly devoted to is dangerkids, which has my favorite drummer, Katie Cole. They're like a mix of Linkin Park and Sleeping With Sirens.

Do you know of any other bands that are just starting, or that people don't hear about?

2. AloneOutHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Framing Hanley is pretty good. They're a little bit darker but good music for sure.

3. biggayguy

There are some local bands I really like; Dulahan, Frozen Feet, Spittin' Image (twin brothers). They play in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana.

4. Sitri

I asked a similar question a few months ago, and one of the bands I instantly fell in love with. I must warn you, my question was more for music that is pretty out there, so it may not be your cup of tea, but may I introduce Steam Powered Giraffe. I think their song "Brass Goggles" does a pretty good job describing what they are all about. I could put a link but I'm a lazy barstad* so find it yourself. It's a shame, the guy who introduced me to them has disappeared with his last activity being a cryptic message on his own wall.

Also, "I Want It" reminds me of the Duck Tales theme song.
    *Not a typo, just a reference to an early 90's British comedy programme.

5. Munyal

Smallpools, I'm not sure about CHVRCHES, A Silent Film, Also unsure about Of Monsters and Men (I just love their music). That's all I can think of right now.

6. Iodine

Out Status:
    All but family
    I like Framing Hanley. I listen to them quite often. They're a good band :slight_smile:
    Those costumes, though! They have a unique sound, that's for sure, but I love those get-ups. Very steam-punk.
    All of these groups are great, particularly CHVRCHES and A Silent Film. I'll have to add these guys to my playlists :grin:

7. AlamoCity

If you like country music, you should try listening to Turnpike Troubadours.

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm really liking Icon for Hire. They aren't exactly an unknown band at this point, but they still have the humility and appreciation of a lesser-known band, and I love that about them. Their debut album was some pretty transparent Paramore worship, but they really expanded the scope of their sound on their sophomore album released this year, which I now count among my favorites, incorporating elements of electronic rock, alternative rock, and metalcore. Here's my favorite song from the first album:
    Icon For Hire Off With Her Head (NEW) w/lryics!! - YouTube
    And my favorite song from the new album:
    Icon For Hire - Rock and Roll Thugs (New 2013) - YouTube
    I'll link to this song too. It's from the same album, and gives a good sampling of most of the sounds they used on that album:
    Icon For Hire "Cynics & Critics" - YouTube

Way more out there is an experimental, industrial hip hop group called Death Grips. Their album The Money Store is very much a favorite of mine, but it took a lot of listens for it to grow on me. Ditto for Exmilitary and No Love Deep Web, but I quite enjoy both of them now. Here's a song that I think exemplifies their sound:
    Death Grips - The Fever (Aye Aye) (2012) - YouTube
    It's challenging music, but it's very rewarding.

9. musicgirl18

You guys have great taste! I love both Steam Powered Giraffe and Icon for Hire. My addition to this collection is actually a YouTube artist, her name is Rae Sterling. She does a lot of covers, but also writes her own songs. She's really talented. I also like Abney Park, which I don't think is really an unknown band, per say, but they are a fantastic steam punk band. :grin:

10. Iodine

Out Status:
    All but family
    Holy moley, I love Icon for Hire. I discovered them last summer, actually.

Another group I just remembered is Five Knives. This song is rather cool, but not many of my friends were fans of it. Their others are great as well.

11. kresukun

Chloe Howl - 'Paper Heart' is just amazing. I fell in love with her, and I can't say that too often about women :astonished:

12. Johneh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You stupid girl is a good song. :slight_smile:

13. FranklinK

Fenech Soler

[YOUTUBE]ndvxXnDe8CM[/YOUTUBE]

14. AwkwardTalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Fearless Vampire Killers is a band I love plus they dress a bit steampunkish. Try their song Bow Ties On Dead Guys.