1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any major main characters who are gay?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Seanathan, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Seanathan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe society is not ready for it, but I would really like to see a main character of maybe a fantasy book or science fiction movie come out as either gay or maybe as a better "compromise" as bisexual, as having the main love interest be the opposite sex but they've had lovers in the past who were same sex. I know we have Ellen who came out on her show, and we have tons of movies where gay people are the main characters, and there are tons of gay supporting characters. But i think there needs to be a franchise were it's not about being gay or romance, and the main character is on a quest or something they just happen to bo bisexual or gay. Like on star trek (I know this isn't what I'm looking for) but the actor who plays spock in the reboot movies, Zachary Quinto, is gay, so why not cast him as gay spock?

2. Etak

J.K. Rowling outed Dumbledore as gay, but it was never really mentioned in the books or the movies. Grey's Anatomy has a character that is sexually fluid, and she is currently married to another woman on the show. It will happen more and more as society accepts it, and it becomes less taboo.

3. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This can't be that hard. Most movies force in a token romance, so you can fit it in there. I think it's something we might see sooner then latter. You kind of want a balance between a character who is defined by their gayness and a character who's gayness is so minor that is doesn't even deserve a mention.

4. AwkwardTalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Try Queer As Folk. There are two versions. The UK (original) and the US. Most of the main cast of the US version are gay. I haven't watched so I don't know how they act but Game of Thrones I'm told has a gay couple.

5. An Unknown User

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm fairly sure Grantaire from Les Miserables was gay and Enjolras was either gay or asexual (I personally like to think he was asexual)

Though there were only hits about their sexuality in the book, when put together it makes sense for them to have those sexualities.

6. AwkwardTalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Queer As Folk is 18+.

7. Porphyrogenitus

Queer as Folk is not what the OP is looking for, cause it's pretty much exactly about being gay.

There are some fantasy books out there with gay protagonists, though none are particularly well-known. The 'A Land Fit for Heroes' series by Richard K Morgan has a gay main character who does go on quests and whatnot, but a lot of his character development is about being gay. I didn't overly enjoy it, though it seems to get good reviews.

ASoIaF has a few gay characters (Renly, Loras, Connington), and Connington even has a couple of vp chapters. But none of them are particularly important so far and quite possibly won't ever become important...
    what with one being dead, another being critically wounded and the third dying of an incurable disease
    Nonetheless, each of their storylines is about something other than their sexuality.

EDIT: Oh, and gay Spock doesn't really work since Spock existed before Quinto. If it were a new character, though, it'd be pretty good. I wonder how pon farr works with gay Vulcans... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. 2112

Jack Harkness (Doctor Who and Torchwood). Actually, he's probably pansexual. And if there's a word sexuality that includes aliens, he's that too.

9. Praetor

Recently I was watching the first season of House of Cards for the second time. The main protagonist played by Kevin Spacey is at the very least bisexual, as they reveal in one episode.

Admittedly, these characters are few and far between. But it's better than it used to be.

10. thediaryofjake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    To be quite honest, I can't think of a work featuring a gay main character for mainstream audiences. The majority of gay characters we see are supporting characters. One of the big ones mentioned above was Jack Harkness of Doctor Who, which featured a lot of gay characters in it's first couple of seasons. Right now, I'd say that the big gay characters we're seeing are in the comic book world. Right now we're seeing big gay characters like Green Lantern and the power couple in Young Avengers.

I hope we can reach one day where a person's sexuality isn't an issue. I still don't see why it is, though. In any case, I hope someday we can see a strong gay character whose sexuality isn't an issue.

11. naomx

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Skins had Maxxie in season 1/2 but I guess he could be called a supporting character.
    I wish it wasn't such a huge deal, it shouldn't be.

12. Black Swan

Yes, I was thinking Jack from Doctor Who also. Recently, there's also been a married alien-and-human lesbian couple which are recurring characters on the show. I guess they are supporting though.

Sherlock has Irene Adler. Also a supporting character I guess, but I have a feeling she'll be making a come back. She claims to be gay in a conversation with John, but in my opinion she's just sexual. :wink:

13. ThinWhiteDuke

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Orphan Black is a sci-fi show about a group of clones (It's riveting check it out) one of the clones is lesbian and one of the shows leads is gay. Both aspects were done well I thought. Well worth a watch.

14. man dolen

Main character from Orange is new black is bisexual/lesbian.
    Lafayette from True Blood is gay, too.

15. Seanathan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if no ones going to make a gay character for mainstream audiences, maybe
    I should give it a shot with the book im writing?

16. 2112

Vastra and Jenny have only been in 4 episodes, so they're not even close to being main characters. But they're coming back in season 8 :slight_smile:

17. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

To be fair the new Star Trek movies are a continuation of the originals just with an altered timeline, so Spock would not be gay. But, I agree with what you are saying about more diverse heroes.

18. ember

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nico DiAngelo, proven in the House of Hades.

19. caughtbywitness

Awesome plot development from my PoV, was so surprised!

20. biggayguy

Mercedes Lackey has several main characters in her books that are gay and teenage. I've wanted to see Magic's Pawn made into a movie for years.

#20 biggayguy, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014