1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Amazing Atheist a.k.a TJ

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Simple Thoughts, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Simple Thoughts

Tennessee Outlaws Gay - YouTube

^ is an older video, but it gives you an idea of what he's like plus it falls into the LGBT category I'm sure :slight_smile:

Anyways, I know that he gets rather mixed reviews because of his thoughts on 'feminism' in particular. I personally enjoy listening to his videos, and just found out he started a podcast :slight_smile:

Am I the only one? Or are there others around here who enjoy him?

2. Daydream Harp

I absolutely loathe the man.

3. Simple Thoughts

Why's that? If you don't mind my asking?

4. Daydream Harp

Well he obviously hates women to a insane degree and does whatever he can to promote how "evil feminism is and how much all the fellas should hate them dirty feminists" and whatever. I haven't dared watch much of his stuff, but from seeing how often the girl who does Feminist Frequency pops up in his thumbnails and gets attacked in some way or another in them I can only assume he is not being very classy about a woman simply wanting video games to be less sexist and ending up getting daily rape threats for it. (seriously YouTube, stop suggesting his videos to me)

#4 Daydream Harp, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  5. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The name alone makes one apprehensive.

6. Simple Thoughts

Well the fact that you think that sort of shows that you really don't understand his position. No offense meant. He's very much for 'gender equality' and doesn't think he's superior to women. He's an intellectual elitist though, and thinks stupid people are inferior, but as for men vs. women he believes we should be equal The problem he has is with extreme feminists. If you ever watch one of his videos where he's discussing the topic he'll point this out, and explain why he is against whatever particular issue he's against.

As for video games being sexist...Tomb Raider, Metroid, Silent Hill, and Portal are all games with female protagonists who are awesome. I even believe the newest version of Tomb Raider added some depth to her as a character.

---------- Post added 8th Jan 2014 at 05:38 PM ----------

Why? 0.0

Magicians put 'Amazing' in front of their name and no one seems to mind :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ya but they pull rabbits out of hats and do other cool stuff. He just seems to be a heavy set guy who talks into a web cam. I watched a few videos and eh. I didn't see anything I liked or really hated. Just kind of a general bla.

8. Simple Thoughts

Fair enough. :slight_smile:

I like his views on things I suppose, that and the way he speaks his mind.

I figured it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea

9. Daydream Harp

Then why is he attacking the woman who does the Tropes Vs. Women/Feminist Frequency series? If you had watched that show you would have known it was far from being extremist, and in every episode of Games Vs. Women she stresses several times that you shouldn't stop enjoying games because of sexist shit, but that the show is to open some eyes and hopefully make the game industry more inclusive, not "take over the whole thing and get all the dirty men out" or whatever.

Also no, just no. The video game industry is a sexist shithole and just because you can mention 4-5 games that have a female protagonist it doesn't change the big picture. If you don't believe me, watch this clever gentleman explain in great detail why the game industry is rotten: Jimquisition Video Gallery | The Escapist

Also just being "anti dumb people" is pretty repulsive too, elitism is the root to all evil after all.

10. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    One of his videos included a lot of the C word. No not cancer.

11. I watched video where he bashed vegetarians. I don't have time for assholes who insult the way I eat. Sorry I believe animals have rights too, as creatures with feelings.

#11 HermioneGaynger, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014
  12. Simple Thoughts

1.) I know you've never listened to his video about that woman. Do you even know what he said? He was upset that she 'Disabled comments' on her video. That's it. He didn't think it was effective to shut down the conversation while pretending that it was a conversation she wanted to have. It didn't make sense to him, and he was trying to point that one fact out. Thats it. -.-'

2.) He isn't as bad as he used to be. He's admitted he's an egotistical jerk many times, and he's actually been tempering himself lately. He's not as loud, and not as much of a dick as he used to be. Not to say that he's a nice guy, but he uses strong language as part of his gig. It's a tool more than anything else.

3.) I disagree. I don't think video games are really all that sexist. I've never played a game and thought to myself 'Thank you video game, you've taught me that I'm more valuable than a woman' that's never happened, and I can't think of anyone who's ever become a sexist after playing Super Mario. 0.o

Still...this will most likely be a agree to disagree sort of deal, and I'm cool with that :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 8th Jan 2014 at 08:36 PM ----------

He's anti-censorship and likes profanity...I'm hardly surprised.

---------- Post added 8th Jan 2014 at 08:38 PM ----------

Fair enough :slight_smile:

Guess I'm the odd man out today. Oh well...

13. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If he didn't dislike the right wing so much, I'd be one of his biggest fans.
    Hey, I'm also anti-feminist and anti-censorship, and I like swearing!
    It's not conservatism that's bad. It's ignorance and prejudice.
    And, about Anita Sarkeesian...
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/415/...ent-legitimate-criticism-of-anita-sarkeesian/
    Take a look at the points in this petition link.

Anti-intellectualism is a problem in the world. Some people actually think that smart people are all eggheads! What. The. Hell.

#13 An Gentleman, Jan 8, 2014
  14. Daydream Harp

Okay, the majority of games threat women as sexy objects for the male hero and presumably male player to either ogle at or fight to save. Women are constantly made to brainless boobie dispencers while the males are constantly upheld as the "big heroes you should want to be". Even in games where you have a playable female sexist shit is happening, for example Metroid Other M where they turned the former badass Samus into a crying little girl who had to rely on the help of a big manly man for every bloody thing, or Heavy Rain where nearly every scene with the one female of the 4 protagonist involves her getting sexually abused or kidnapped in some way or another.

Games developers who want to make games with women in the lead role are told they "can't do that" and games with female protagonists are getting less funding for advertising, even the good games with good female protagonists like the Portal games avoid this: you would never know you play as a girl from the box art or advertising that only shows the co-op robots or the stickman from the warning signs in the game, and Naughty Dog had to fight a long battle to be allowed to show the girl in The Last of Us on the boxart at all, while Bioshock Infinite removed Elizabeth and the developers had to offer alternate printable covers with her on on their website.

And don't even get me started on online gaming, fucking try to play a online game as a girl, someone will either say they are gonna rape you, call you a "worth less bitch, go make me a sandwich" or demand to see your boobs, it's ridiculous. I mean how do you not see the rampant sexism going on? Is it really that hard to see if it isn't directly damaging yourself?

Seriously, just watch these videos, please, they are like 8 minutes each including the ending and beginning gags that you can skip anyways:
    The Creepy Cull of Female Protagonists | Jimquisition Video Gallery | The Escapist
    Objectification And... Men? | Jimquisition Video Gallery | The Escapist
    Vertigo | Jimquisition Video Gallery | The Escapist
    Monster Boobs And Plastic Children | Jimquisition Video Gallery | The Escapist

15. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Swearing says something. Words have meaning and when one repeatedly used the C word it sends a message. When I hear someone use an offensive term like that my first thought isn't oh look how free the speech is. Though maybe the surprising thing was that I didn't care. He was using this offensive word over and over and I thought on a very mellow oh ya that is jerky. He made so little impact on me that I couldn't even get angry.

---------- Post added 8th Jan 2014 at 06:11 PM ----------

Jim dose some good videos if you cut out the opening parts where he monologs and makes bad jokes. Heck I say just watch all of them because most are rather good.

16. Simple Thoughts

I can't really argue you here. You seem to know your video games better than I do or something lol

I've never really considered video games sexist. I never really paid it that much attention. I had just assumed that video games were judged on merit, apparently the situation is they are judged by 'penis or no penis' which if is in fact the case I would consider that rather stupid and silly. Hmmm?

If it's honestly as bad as you say than go round up anyone you can and start a boycott of the games. It's about the only thing that's going to change that. Besides, when video games first happened it was a male dominated field both on the production and consumer side of things. So I'm not surprised it still has lingering remnants of that original culture. Though it's really been bridging the gap lately I've heard of quite a few female gamers so they'll probably have to start making games marketed with that in mind in the near future. 0.0

I don't really care as long as Halo's, Call of Duty's, and Final Fantasy style games stay in production :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 8th Jan 2014 at 10:20 PM ----------

Interesting...

I like how it has all those fancy links pointing to facts and such which can be checked for accuracy :slight_smile:

Now I'm on a fence.

I agree with the feminist stance on video games solely because I cannot think of that many female protagonists, however, that was a very thoughtful argument for why this is not the case 0.0

I'm betting I'm just having trouble naming some chick heroes lol

---------- Post added 8th Jan 2014 at 10:22 PM ----------

Meh, it doesn't really bother me. No word has ever bothered me. I think the intent matters more than anything else. How you use the words should be more important than which word you chose. Is fuck and frick really different words? Last I checked they are used to express the same thing. Is Damn and darn any different from one another? Is Shit and Crap any different from one another?

Intent, not definition. -.-'

17. Daydream Harp

Did you watch the videos I linked? Because one of them show very clearly that the game industry have no plans to change and become more inclusive. Yes we get the odd game here and there with a female protagonist, but the rest of the time all girls are nothing but sex objects in a disturbingly big amount of games.

Also no this is not judging games based on the protagonist gender by itself, it's judging the industry's and hardcore gamers refusal to allow diversity into a worldwide hobby that everyone of all genders and walks of life enjoy, I love a lot of games with male protagonists and most of my favorite games have that, but holy fuck would I have killed to get regular relateable protagonists of both genders where both are equally portrayed instead of this "sexualised females and idolised males" bullshit.

Just think about it, in modern FPS games in nearly all the games, all the soldiers are male, yet it's becoming more and more common with armed forces of both genders. Would it hurt to just let you choose what gender to be attached to ingame? No, it would take a little bit of effort from a few voice actors (maybe not even that if codenames are used in conversations) and one more model from the modeling team, it would cost them nothing in the bigger scheme of thing to add this, yet that is never the case even in FPS games with a nameless protagonist. Do you really think that would have been the case if the game industry was truly equal and without gender bias?

And yeah I know I brought up a protagonist example again, but honestly that would be the first step I think: to regularly stop caring about what gender our protagonists are and have a nice doze of all genders involved. It worked with Saint Row's character creator, a extremely raunchy game series based around shock humor, but because of it's inclusivity it came off as funny instead of pointlessly offensive. It can be done and it is the right way to go.

But fine, it's completely legit to not care and just enjoy the games, it's not your duty to actively fight the wrongs in your entertainment if all you wanna do is sit back and enjoy it, I understand. But please, oh please do not come and claim it's without fault and that the ones being discriminated against have nothing to complain about, because we do, and that is the only way we are gonna be heard and something is gonna change.

#17 Daydream Harp, Jan 8, 2014
  18. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Video games are judged on a lot of things. From gameplay to narrative to yes even the culture impact they have on gender roles. Video games being the cultural force they are, it's kind of important to look at what they are adding to the culture.... Games are kind of my thing too. I get kind of passionate about them. :icon_redf

19. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is a problem that is not just in video games though. This also happens in the media as well. Now, that does not make it right, but it's a far bigger problem that just being in video games. Many movies have male protagonists as well. Since many games are based off of movies, this needs to be taken into account as well.

20. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am more optimistic. I think things will change. The industry has presser on it to change and one way or another I think it will find a way to accommodate more diversity. If the big publishes don't want to step up, then we will get it from the indy setting. Everything else. I agree with.