1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Frozen" and Growing up Gay

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by FishMan27, Jan 8, 2014.

1. FishMan27

Today, I finally had the chance to see the new Disney movie "Frozen," and it was amazing! A couple weeks ago, I'd read an article about how the theme of this film parallels growing up gay and struggling with accepting it and "letting it go" to quote Elsa.

To me it had such a profound effect. It evoked all kinds of emotions and brought me back to several years ago before I came out when I was so conflicted.

For those who've seen it, what kind of effect did it have on you?

2. MightNeedThis

I saw it and I loved it, I've been meaning to go and see it again. I didn't ever hear about the parallels, but not I'm even more excited to go see it again!

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw and yeah, I agree. The parallels with growing up gay and struggling to accept it are unreal. This was VERY evident when Elsa and Anna are conversating and Anna inquires why Elsa shuts the world out and wants to live alone. In her rage, she conjures up an icicle on her own friend probably symbolizing how she's forcing other people out of her life and doesn't want to interact with the outside world anymore. Another example, blatant also, is when Elsa says that she wants to live alone where she can't hurt anybody anymore. The third parallel, somewhat abstract, could be the eternal winter that happened. Probably the eternal winter could be the doom and gloom caused by the struggle and it affects everyone even though one may not realize it. And once the spring comes, that probably is the acceptance stage :slight_smile:

4. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I absolutely love it and feel like I was Elsa because I was litterally shutting people out. When the scene's where Elsa sang "Let it GO!" so much feels I almost cried, well I honestly bawling where her sister knocking on her door for the last time after their parents died that was intense. Hence it was really a good movie one of the best Disney's perhaps in today's generation. :slight_smile:

I never knew that there were parallels behind that movie and you interpret it very well Randy! :grin: Now I can truly say I love it even more.

5. Rainbow Girl

I agree with all of these. I also thought there were some parallels, I particularly noticed it in the song "Let It Go." The quote "conceal, don't feel, don't let them in" really struck a chord because I used to tell myself something similar in terms for hiding my feelings from people and not thinking about it.

6. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't seen the movie, but I know the story and have heard "Let it Go," and yeah, the parallels are blatantly obvious. I could definitely relate.

7. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    IT'S AMAZING.

Not only is "Let it Go" pretty much the Disney version of "Defying Gravity" complete with Idina Menzel, which, by the way, was an LGBT anthem a few years ago, but each and every single lyric is the process of coming out, and the lyrics to "Let it Go" describe it much better than "Defying Gravity" ever put it.

Honestly, I think it's Rakkaus's theme song.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rather than writing some long diatribe... I thought the exact same thing.

Actually, I did mention this in a "what should I watch" thread.