1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Supernatural homophobic?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Cerith23, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Cerith23

So there have been threads started about Supernatural but I don't think there have been any specifically on this topic.

Most SPN fans out there probably know about the voracious shipping/slashing (of male characters) that happens amongst fans of the programme and of the possibly homophobic views expressed by lead actors such as Jensen Ackles, and by the producers - e.g. most of the gay characters get killed off early. These are all areas of hot contention and I haven't watched enough of the show/been up to date with the fandom to really understand all the issues.

I've only watched the first season and decided to google the main actors, specifically Jensen (because he's gorgeous) and one of the most popular searches to come up was 'is Jensen Ackles homophobic?' After doing a little more looking around I've read a number of blog posts/articles citing SPN for homophobic attitudes and queer-baiting etc.

I just wanted to ask any people out there who have watched the show what their opinion is on its attitude to LGBT/Queer people and whether it should deter me from watching the show. Is it actually homophobic? I feel as if due to the (again, as yet, I haven't seen them - only on 1st season) homophobic attitudes expressed within the show (and out of it) that as a matter of principle I shouldn't support the franchise.

TL;DR: So my basic question is, is Supernatural homophobic, and if so, should I avoid watching it?

2. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm currently on season 8 of spn, and I've never noticed anything especially homophobic about it. One of the reoccurring jokes is about Dean being is a gay relationship with another character. I may be incorrect, but I believe I even remember an episode where they expressed a positive opinion of homosexuality.

I googled the subject to see some of the arguments people had, and one I found was that characters were revealed to be gay "just for laughs". I think that those fighting this point misunderstood the reveal of their sexualities in the first place. Supernatural doesn't place an importance on sexual orientation. The only time character's are revealed to be gay are because they're directly confronted about it, or to move along the episode plot. Sometimes they kick in jokes, yeah, but they do the same with straight characters. You could also argue the show is homophobic because of a few gay characters dying, however, the number of (probably) heterosexual characters dying strongly out numbers those who are homosexual. There's a few other points I could bring up, however I really wouldn't like to spoil much more of the show for you.

I don't feel as if the show is homophobic, however, that is really up to your judgement. Happy hunting :grin:

3. Saint Otaku

From what fangirls say, I hear it's the "gayest" show out there. Of course, that's possibly through the "fangirl gaze" I suppose.

4. Cerith23

Cheers for the replies. I love the show and if others haven't seen anything homophobic about it then for me that's the green light to continue watching. I just didn't want to be disappointed by anything like that coming up (which would ruin the series for me).

:grin: Happy hunting to you to :wink:

5. man dolen

I watched all aired episodes, and it's not homophobic actually show has really strong homoerotic vibe.
    Sometimes Dean and Sam act more like lovers then brother.

6. Thunderlane

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
  7. Cerith23

I picked up on the vibe (which I actually liked, although it is incest), and it was this:

that made me wonder how seriously the creators/actors/wotsit took the homosexual elements of the show - if that makes any sense at all.

8. thekillingmoon

I haven't noticed anything homophobic in it. They don't show romantic relationships much actually, it's mostly focused on supernatural and fighting the bad guys. There was a lesbian character in a few episodes too. Overall a good show I would say.

I don't know about the actors' personal attitudes towards lgbt and to be honest I don't particularly care because I'm not a fangirl. I just enjoy the show.