1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobile phone with a good camera

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Paul_UK, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

For my birthday I have told Markie that I want a new mobile phone which has a good camera that works well in low light. I am not interested in other features (radio, MP3 playback, videos, internet etc) because I'll never use them. Phone, text messaging and camera is all I need. I also want a one-piece phone, nothing that flips, folds or slides etc.

I currently have a Sony Ericsson K750i. It's about 3 years old, is showing its age, and is becoming temperamental. The main problem with that is the camera which gives very grainy pictures in low light. It is 2 megapixels which is adequate but more would allow for better editing and resizing etc.

Looking on the Sony Ericsson website the K850i looks like it will suit me nicely. See http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/overview/k850i?cc=us&lc=en The quality of the camera (5 megapixels, flash, auto-focus) seems to be its main selling feature.

Does anyone have one of those and have any comments on it? Any other suggestions, bearing in mind the criteria above?

2. Ty

Ty Guest

My friend has that phone. Any questions I could ask him for you about it?

3. neverover

from what i gather round, k850i has a lot of faulty, unresponsive touch buttons, and unstable software (SE A2000). i wont go for that.
    if i were u, ill go for nokia n82, totally blown SE cameras away, its a 5.0mp Carl Zeiss with vga 30 fps video recording. one very cool feature it has in the new firmware, it can add location to ur taken shots. i.e , if take a picture in london, there will be a pop up baloon in london map when u open google maps.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I'll have a look at the Nokia, thanks!

5. neverover

6. SlickyPants

I don't think you'll find any cell phone that will shoot very well in low light conditions unless you're planning to mount it on a tripod and you're shooting a static subject. I don't know much about cell phone cameras per se so I'm not sure if there are any manual controls built into them. Increasing the aperture size will let more light in (if you don't care about depth of field). Decreasing the shutter speed will allow you to use a lower ISO setting which will minimize noise/grain but as a trade-off your camera and subject need to be very still or else the image will be blurry. The increased ISO setting will allow you to limit exposure time (less chance of blur) but it will cause your photo to have more noise/graininess. A flash will likely overexpose the foreground and cause the background to appear dark.

I've seen some good looking photos from a cell phone camera but I haven't seen many decent ones in low-light or nighttime.

7. Jonamo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I have upgraded to the Nokia n82 today, though I actually collect it tomorrow because they didn't have one in the store.

I did it through Carphone Warehouse, and it'll cost me £30 per month on contract for 18 months, and I get something like 400 minutes and 3000 texts each month. My current contract is £24 per month so it's not much of a price increase for a nice new phone. Plus I remain with Orange who have good network coverage in our area, and I keep my existing number (which is important as a lot of people I do work for have it).

Also the phone should be an unlocked one, not one locked to a particular network. So it won't have the horrible Orange logo on it! :slight_smile:

Once I have had a play with it I will post my comments here.