1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The X men

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by kageshiro, Jan 21, 2014.

1. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

About a week ago a friend showed me the X Men: Days of Future Past trailer and it was like falling in love all over again. Coincidentially I caught the original X Men movie on tv soon after and picked up X2 for a few bucks at a pawn shop. So then I started watching all the movies since I missed a few and finally just finished The Wolverine tonight. Well needless to say my interest in the series has completely returned. Anyone else here a fan of X Men movies, comics, cartoons, etc? I think they're hands down my favorite superheroes, and for sure the ones I empathize with and admire most.

2. chrispunkins

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I loved the cartoon! Not enough Gambit being thrown around these days. Jubilee can go suck a fuck

---------- Post added 21st Jan 2014 at 01:49 PM ----------

And Rogue. Fuck off, Rogue

3. Bolin

They're my favorite set of comic book heroes. I'm somewhat of an X-pert when it comes to X-Men. :wink: I've read countless of their comics and story arcs. I even own much of the Phoenix saga. I don't like the direction they're going in the current continuity, though.

4. Nikky DoUrden

I loved the TV series and I love the movies :slight_smile:
    Just a pity they nerfed storm in the movies, she can be way more strong than that!

5. DragonQueen

I'm not a super huge obsessed fan (like knowing all the stories or anything) but I love the movies and the cartoons and I enjoy reading about the characters in the comic encyclopedias. :slight_smile: I absolutely adore Rogue (especially the X-Men Evolution version where the Goth-ified her) and her accent always makes my legs go to jelly. Her and Gambit are my favorite X-Men.

6. Just Jess

Rogue and Jubilee are two of my favorites X-men :tears: Plus Rogue isn't even in the movie from what I hear. It's okay though the writers apparently hated Jubilee too the way they treated her character and nerfed her powers.

Mystique is pretty much my favorite.

7. Thedistra

Storm and Mystique are my favorites. I've been meaning to get into the comics, just been lazy. I don't like the fact they keep focusing on Wolverine in the recent movies. Give someone else the spot light for once.

8. MayatheSiren99

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a bit of a Marvelite. DC can go to hell with their unambitious heroes and stories.
    I'm a big follower of the Days Of Future Past story arc and the thought of a movie terrifies me! With how butchered X-men Origins: Wolverine was, I almost didn't watch the newest movie. So many characters stories ruined (especially Deadpool! and Weapon X in general.).
    Especially since the costumes in Days of Future Past (movie) seem to be based off the Ultimate X-Men designs. ugh..... Storm's Mohawk... why can't it just go away...

9. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'm gonna go on the record and say I've never read any X Men or Superhero comics in general. Most of my understanding of them comes from their movies and games but I'm certianly open to different interpretations of the characters. If anyone who reads the comics has any recommendations I'll be sure to check them out +o

Now the movies. My favorite by far I have to say is X2, loved it since I first saw it as a kid. Definitely got alot more out of it rewatching it now that I'm older. I also like X3 though it always felt short to me. I feel like it brought most of the character's arcs to a satisfying conclusion and worked fine as the last installment of the trilogy. X1 was ok but I didn't think it was amazing. It was weird to me that Sabretooth being wolverine's brother was never addressed and I prefer the way Magneto is handled in the later 2 movies.

I know X Men Origins: Wolverine was badly criticized but I actually didn't hate it. It was my least favorite of the movies but I at least appreciate what they were trying to do with it. Same with First Class, though Xavier and Magneto are my favorite characters, I was divided on that one cause it felt sloppy, had continuity issues and didn't really match my idea of how their past was like. I did like The Wolverine more as a movie than I did Wolverine Origins, First Class and possibly even the first X men. Only things I would really say about it is I agree Wolverine has had the spotlight to himself for long enough, and that it's sad when 1 minute long Post Credits scene is so amazing it overshadows the entire movie xD

10. Gallatin

I've always liked the X-Men. Probably my favorite group of superheroes. Cyclops is my favorite, don't even get me started on how the movies ruined him. He was so marginalized.

11. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm really happy to see this franchise continue and not shoot itself in the foot. I can't wait for this movie :slight_smile:

12. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I was disappointed by how small a role he played in the movies since I've heard in the comics he's actually capable of leading the team. I always liked him anyways, and how in the movies wolverine and him were always taking shots at each other lol

Besides the Professor and Magneto my favorites if I had to choose are probably Storm, Cyclops, Iceman, Nightcrawler and Beast. Pretty much everyone has either an interesting ability, personality or both.

On a random note, if anyone remembers the scene from X3 where the boy with angel wings escapes his dad from forcing the Mutant Cure on him and flies out the window, was that a beautiful visual metaphor for coming out or what? ^^

13. Just Jess

The original X-men comics were actually an allegory for the '60s civil rights movement.

And the movies? "Word of God" says it's an allegory for the gay rights movement.

So yeah, I think Angel coming out was both beautiful and intentional :slight_smile:

14. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Those interviews were interesting to look through, I like the equation of Xavier and Magneto to Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcom X. That makes so much sense I can't believe I never thought of that before. I think the social/political commentary in the X-men trilogy is a big part of what sets them apart from other blockbuster superhero movies for me. Obviously being part of a minority group myself, scenes like when Bobby Drake comes out as mutant to his family, or Angel (should have guessed that was his name lol) tries to shave his wings off, are super effective cause they hit so close to home.

1 of my favorite lines in all of the movies, from X2, is when Bobby's mom tells him she still loves him and then politely asks him to "Try not being a mutant?" It's funny but so sad cause of the basis in reality that ignorance really has. I wanna laugh at it but cry at the same time >_>