1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Angels in America

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by beckyg, Jul 2, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My straight, almost 16 year old, nephew brought me Angels in America and said I HAD to watch it! I told him I had wanted to for years but had never taken the time (its quite long!) to do it. So I did and he was right, its amazing! His Dad (my brother) is quite homophobic. I'm sure he didn't know that it had so much gay sex in it (straight sex is okay for his kid to watch) or he would have thrown a fit about my nephew watching it! Anybody else seen it? What did you think?

2. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not only have I seen the miniseries (which is both brilliant and brilliantly cast) but I actually saw the play performed live when it was new(ish) in the mid-90s. One of my most long-term gay friends knew all about it and insisted we go. I was highly skeptical because as a play, it's basically 3 hours one night and then 3 hours another night (two parts) and even though I am very willing to sit through long things, I thought that sounded excessive.

I couldn't have been more WRONG! If you ever get a chance to see it live by a professional theatre company (which is rare because it's such a monumental undertaking to put together so really it's awesome they did the miniseries of it because now way more people will get exposed to it), DO IT! You will not be disappointed.

So yeah, back to the original question, I have seen it and it blew me away. I have the scripts for both parts. I subscribed to an extra expensive cable channel when the miniseries was released just so me and my friend who took me to the play originally and another friend could see it (we don't get HBO in Canada so it was shown on a premium cable channel here that I didn't have at the time). And then I bought my friend the DVD of the HBO production when it came out.

So me = big fan!