1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

writing a book

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Born this way93, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Born this way93

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    AS SOME OF YOU MAY KNOW IVE BEEN A BIT DEPRESSED RECENTLY, SO I HAVE DECIDED TO WRITE A BOOK AND GET IT PUBLISHED, IT IS NOT MY FIRST TIME DOING THIS. SO, WHAT DO YOU DO TO ESCAPE WHEN YOU FEEL DOwn?

James

2. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I write, like you. I've never written a full book, just short stories and essays. Committing to finish a whole book can be quite difficult and stressful. Why don't you start with short stories? You can always make a collection of them and publish them together. I think there are websites where you can get published online for free.
    I also listen to music, not necessarily upbeat music. Sometimes it helps to start with depressing songs that suit your mood and gradually move to more "happy" songs.
    I talk with optimistic people, people who laugh a lot and are compassionate if I'm moody.
    I take up new hobbies. Recently, I've started to dance. It's great to see how much of excitement can a new hobby add to your life. Suddenly you have a purpose to try harder, a new field of creation to explore. :wink:

3. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

I write as well :slight_smile:
    I've written three complete novels and I've got loads of unfinished novels that one day I'll get round to finishing.
    It's awesome cheap therapy for me.

4. Born this way93

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    cool hobbies guys, ive written a couple of short storys but im writing a longer novel this time. if you guys like i can upload the prologue to this thread and you can be one of the first to read it

5. Stripe101

To escape? I recede to the darkest depths of mind and shut out the world. It's amazing what you find back there.

6. Born this way93

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    heres a prologue

Prologue
    Two guards came to his cell in the early hours of the night; he was dressed in a simple orange jumpsuit and plain white shoes. He knew where they were going to take him, he had been waiting for this for a whole month, but in this place the doctor was always busy. The guards pushed him against the brick wall and patted him down, ‘useless’ he thought ‘what is there that I could possibly have, this is such a secure building, yet everyone in here is so insecure’. He could feel that much just by the way everyone acted around here; he could smell it on people and could see fear in their eyes. Once the guards were satisfied that he was not carrying a weapon they cuffed him and walked him out of the cell, the hallways were dark, no noise came from any of the other cells in his block. They met only another guard on their walk to the small doctor’s office that was on the other side of the complex. The guard pushed him forward trying to get this done quickly so he could go home for the night. He kept his pace taking his time; he had time the doctors didn’t close for another hour. After four more minutes of walking they arrived at the office. The guard pushed him in and then took up the position of waiting outside for him to be finished. A nurse ushered him in to a room and told him the doctor would only be a few minutes, the doctor came in and sat down across from him. “How have you been”? The doctor asked. “The usual” he responded, “my cell mate has been making a lot of noise and I’m getting fucking sick of the food served here”. The doctor leaned back in his chair, confused, he knew that this man had no cellmate; he was in isolation and was alone in his cell. Cautious of how to approach this he merely said “I’ll see what I can do about your cell mate”. The man reacted well to this “my thanks, the bastard has been yelling and keeping me awake all through the night, if it was legal I would request for him to be put down”. He smiled as he envisioned this, the doctor did not respond to the comment of having it put down. “Have you had any hallucinations recently”? He asked. This was the reason this man was sitting here in front of him, he had been moved from some other facility to come here, he was deemed unsafe to be around other people in society. As far as the doctor knew the man hadn’t committed any terrible crimes, he was merely here to keep him and other people safe. The man looked shocked to be asked such a question. “I don’t think so; I have been busy of late”. “Busy with what”? The doctor asked. He had not heard of this man doing anything out of the ordinary, he followed most routines and was generally ok. “I’d rather not say” the man responded. The doctor decided not to push him about his activities “well have you had any questionable symptoms recently”? The man looked down; trying to recall “I have been having some migraines and…” this caught the doctor’s attention. “And these migraines, do you feel anything after or during”? The man stared at him “usually just some chest pain”. The doctor wrote all of this down, this man he was truly unlike many of the other people held here. The man had begun to hum to himself “is that all”? The doctor asked. The man paused “why yes I believe it is”. Tired of the conversation the doctor gave him some medication. The man swallowed the pills, but secretly pocketed a few. He then gave a smile to the doctor headed in the direction of the door, before he could leave he turned to face the doctor “good night doc, I trust that you’ll bring me back if there is any other issues”? The doctor merely gave a slight nod, with that the guards cuffed the man and walked him back in the direction from which he came from. When he returned to his cell he found another man waiting for him, “you really think we’ll let you get away with what you’ve done? If you ever get out of here we’ll kill you” the other man told him. “Yeah yeah shut the fuck up, it’s late and I’d like to get some sleep before tomorrow”. With that the man fell asleep; the second man loomed over him looking as if he was going to strangle him. He reached for his neck, right before his hands grasped the man the second man disappeared leaving only the first man sleeping quietly in his bed, his head began to ache as he slept, waiting for the morning to arrive.
    End of Prologue

7. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I thought that was actually not bad

A few suggestions though:

It seems like you are telling too much. You don't really have to go out and say everything. Like when they were walking to the doctors office, if you didn't mention the destination (doctors office) before they arrived, the reader would be guessing as to were they are going. More importantly with the cell mate, you don't necessarily have to go out and say he doesn't have a cell mate.

Also it seems unrealistic that after getting a death threat, a man would go to sleep with the guy threatening him standing right next to him. Also I don't think prisoners are allowed in other's cells at night

You don't have to listen to these if you don't want to, these are just my thoughts on it

And just a quick grammatical note, punctuation goes inside the quote

8. Born this way93

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    thank you some dude for the advice, you will be pleased to know that i have changed some things to fit with the comment, also the man hallucinates the cellmate, i reveal more about that later on in the story, i have sent it into my publishers and they have givin me a deadline, january 15, 2015. i guess cause im turning 16 this year there letting me have extra time

9. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How did you find publishers at such a young age? I think that's pretty impressive

10. Born this way93

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i beagan writing this and decided to send it to a publishing company,at the time i only sent in the first couple chapters. it took a while to get a response, they asked me to come and meet with them, i told them my plans for the whole series im writing they said that if i wrote more then if it was as good aswhat i had already givin them they would publish. i have been writing non-stop recently. it was so great to hear it may be published.

and if it does get publishd ill thank Ec in the dedication part for being so helpful during this depression im somewhat in

pps the two main characters are gay :slight_smile:

11. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's awesome! I'm a writer myself but a screenwriter instead of novels. Make sure you let me know when your book gets published, I'll definitely want to check it out

12. Born this way93

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    woah man that is so cool, have you written anything thats made it too the screen? and your 15 and for sure ill let you know

13. Gen

Gen

Some Dude made a solid point about showing instead of telling; it can easily weigh down the flow of the story. Since this is probably just a first draft, I'm sure grammar will get worked out later, but there are a few stylistic conflicts that you might want to consider. Third person is divided into three different categories in prose: omniscient, limited, and objective. It is important to stay in only one of these points of view otherwise the narrative becomes extremely confusing.

Third Person Omniscient- The narrator knows the actions and thoughts of all.
    Third Person Limited- The narrator only has complete knowledge of one character and tells what that one character thinks and experiences.
    Third Person Objective- The narrator can tell the actions of all, but the thoughts or emotions of none.

For example, these excerpts cannot coexist in the same narrative:
    The first quote informs the readers of a characters thoughts, which establishes either omniscient or limited point of view. Additionally, we are told the thoughts of other characters very soon after, which would establish omniscient point of view. The narrative becomes conflicted when we are told things such as "he looked shocked to be", "over him looking as if he was", etc. Those are either limited or objective descriptions. It is clear because there is a lack of certainty. An omniscient narrator would know with certainty that a character was "shocked", not "looked shocked"; "wanted to strangle him", not "looked as if he wanted".

Secondly, I would work on incorporating personality and voice into your narrative. All narratives do not need to be written with a heavy personality or voice (An example of a very dominant personality is joyful tone of Harry Potter, and many other children's books); however all narrative must have some personality, tone, and/or voice to be adequately engrossing. First person is meant to be written with the traits and voice of the main character. Third person narratives are meant to be written through the personality and tone that the writer/narrator feels most appropriate for the story.

Imagine describing a painting with artistic description. If I said that "shades of grey obstructed all sunlight" rather than " dark clouds filled the sky" then my description is giving off completely different tones. The former being very ominous, and possibly even symbolic; they latter being still efficiently descriptive, but a bit more objective. Though if someone simply described the picture as "there are a couple clouds", "there's a tree", "here is some grass"; there isn't any personality, voice, or tone. It is completely flat and that is something that can make reading in third person quite tedious and boring.

So, those are some things that I would just try to be mindful of. None of us are born experts. We all could use some practice and improvement. : )

14. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No lol I just started writing a month ago, I was working on a screenplay and had about 20 pages done but then put that aside for now, I am starting to work on a few new things though. It's not like I am an actual writer but aspiring to be one and I'm just hoping that after a lot of studying and attempts then I'll be able to sell a script or something

15. Born this way93

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    thanks, ill be sure to change some things cause it still is early, i have till january 2015 before the publishers need it. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 2nd Feb 2014 at 07:41 PM ----------

man im sure you could, im an actor/singer/writer. u should send me something and we could give feedbck to eachother.

---------- Post added 2nd Feb 2014 at 07:43 PM ----------

send me something

16. Gen

Gen

Unfortunately, both of you are regular members and private messaging is only possible with full membership. As for sharing writing, either of you are welcome to post short excerpts on each others walls or on the forum such as this thread; however, I would try not to post too much.

17. Born this way93

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    of course, i meant on the thread mon ami

18. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Eh, sorry but I don't really want to post it on the public forums, especially because almost all posts on here stay forever and are undeleteable. Maybe in the future, I'll send you something in a pm when we can use that. I don't really have much right now anyways

19. Born this way93

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    its ok, it was but a suggestion

20. Born this way93

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Just out of curiosity does anyone want me to put up the first chapter? That's all that my publishers say I should show right now