1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new mac - help!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Leigh, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Leigh

Leigh Guest

my mum just bought me a new mac book and its amazing, i love it.

but i am absolutely hopeless when it comes to computers!

like for example - right now, i dont understand how im on the computer because i havent done anything to enable my wi-fi yet and its not plugged into anything.

ive only ever used pcs before and even though i totally prefer macs, im really struggling with the basics...

can anyone give me any basic tips about getting started??

(ive installed everything (i think) apart from setting up the wi-fi. is it possible that im picking up a signal from my neighbours??)

2. Ty

Ty Guest

(Follow the pictures in order)

1.) Find the symbol like that at the top of the computer screen

2.) Click on it and there should be the option to turn on wifi or something like that

3.) when the wifi is turned on, you'll see a selection of networks of which to choose, select your one.

4.) when you click on it you may be required to enter in your passcode for your router. If its a bt home hub, it'll be on the back next to the title of "wireless key"

good-luck!

Ask anything if your stuck or if I haven't explained properly.

also, the photos below were put in the wrong order, so just reverse :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Attached Files:

3. Leigh

Leigh Guest

thanks!!
    the thing is i havent set up my airport (i do have one - its just stil in the box) so i dont understand how im still connected to the internet.

still not complaining - more ec!! :grin:

do you know how you find the :

delete and home buttons???

and also how to maximise the different screens??

4. Ty

Ty Guest

Delete and home buttons ? For what?

5. LOVEjames

There's no delete button on Macbooks, you have to physically drag things to the trash can... and I'm not terribly sure what you mean by the home button... o.o

6. Leigh

Leigh Guest

well on my old keyboard the home key (and end key i think) were next to the delete key, and they jump you to the beginning or the end of the sentence, etc...

thanks for the feedback!