1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion on sexy music videos/growing up with MTV

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by kaypulu, Feb 2, 2014.

1. kaypulu

I'm curious on your reactions to sexy music videos, especially when it comes to puberty and sexuality. Have you always 'noticed' (especially the 2000s britney, xtina, and so on) that music videos are sexy? Can you draw any connections to your sexuality and the music industry?

Personally I've grown up with videos like "I'm a slave 4 you" "dirrty" and "lady marmalade". Now, when I was around the age of 7 I didn't see anything questionable or wrong with them. I just thought that pop stars really like to hang around in their underwear, weird huh? A few years later I start to go into puberty and then one day the videos just hit me in the face. Suddenly it's very apparent to me why my mom always feels kind of uneasy when I'm watching MTV - or when my big brother advices me to not sing out loud songs from Red Hot Chili Peppers Blood Sugar Sex Magic.

Were you ever this null to 'this part' of music and music videos?

I also remember three specific songs/videos that led me to this revelation of sexiness:
    - Kylie Minogue's slow, pretty self explanatory
    - Eric Prydz call on me, it has a very similar moment of slowly dragging a towel from your crotch to your stomach
    - destination calabria - now this is an interesting one: I perfectly remember watching it a week before and just busting out to it, and then it was just simply arousing the other week.

I also can't think of a single video that I've found sexy because of men, it's true that it's mostly boobs and butts but there are some oily six packs featured often enough. I find this to be very interesting.

Any thoughts? Any...?

---------- Post added 3rd Feb 2014 at 01:05 AM ----------

oh and yes, I was very much inspired by the discussion "Are Lesbians here turned on by Riri and Shakira's new video?" by KyleD

2. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Well, thanks for being inspired by me kaypulu! :grin:

I grew up in a Christian environment and my mom did not allow me to watch MTV. Actually, we didn't even have such a channel.

However I remember watching a video by Britney - "I'm A Slave for U" with my brother and we had to switch the channel because of how provocative the video was. In retrospect videos nowadays are way more provocative than what Britney ever did back then. I just thought that is interesting to point out, lol.

I remember watching a movie once with my brother when two guys kiss though. I couldn't concentrate after that scene - my mind was in a tailspin. I walked out of the movie, my brother must have been wondering what happened to me. That was when it kind of hit me that - WOW, I am gay, I have much stronger feelings for guys than I do for women.

#2 KyleD, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  3. kaypulu

Hehee funny you happened to notice this discussion :-D

MTV is free for everyone who lives in the capital of my country. I've noticed that my friends who haven't grown up in the city tend to find music videos more provocative than I do, just like you when you first saw good old britbrit's video. I think it's very interesting.

I don't remember any LGBT movies or scenes from a TV show from when I was little. I guess I must have seen some, but not really understood what was happening. I do remember having negative feelings about the iconic Madonna/Britney kiss. It's weird though, I can't remember if the negativeness was just me mimicking my friends actions.. but I remember me mostly being sad by the fact that they were kissing on national TV like how kids usually react to kissing. Not because it was a girl kissing another girl. Someone was quick to fix me "why it was wrong" though. My friend used to have a poster of the kiss on her wall and I just remember staring at it :-D