1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Silver Sparrow, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Silver Sparrow

My GSA is doing a movie night, and are having some trouble finding a movie.
    Criteria:

• Queer related (character, plot line, etc)
      PG13 or below
      not a documentary
      something lighter in tone, probably

I have a very short list: Camp, Rent, Mean Girls, DEBS, and Victor Victoria. I haven't seen Camp, DEBS, or Victor Victoria, so if anyone has seen any of those movies and can give me a general opinion on whether they are appropriate for a group (ages 14-18, probably, that would be great. Thanks!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

2. Kreiger

In and Out is hilarious, its about this teacher who gets outed by a former student's oscar acceptance speech, even though he's marrying a woman in 3 days.

Its PG-13, from 1997, has Tom Selleck, and is available on netflix instant.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In and Out could be an amazing choice. I'd highly recommend that.

I think Priscilla, Queen of the Desert is probably PG13. Hardly anything I'd consider remotely racy... and that's also a hilarious film, one of my favorites.

4. Silver Sparrow

Priscilla is R, but In & Out might be a great idea! Thanks, and keep em coming!

5. FrozenFae

I'll vouch for In and Out also...its so funny :slight_smile:

hmm......I would also recommend The Birdcage also. Robin Williams and Nathan Lane are a gay couple whose adopted son comes home from college with his girlfriend and he wants them to meet her arch-conservative parents. Sounds heavy but its really lighthearted and funny

John Waters' original Hairspray is pretty good also. Ricky Lake is the daughter and famous drag queen Divine plays her mother. I like this one better than the newer one with Travolta...but that one is decent also.

addendum: just noticed you wanted to make sure they were appropriate for younger audiences. Hairspray is tame. The Birdcage if I recall correctly drops the "f bomb" once but other than that its pretty tame as well

#5 FrozenFae, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014