1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is windows vista really bad?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by total mo, Jul 5, 2008.

1. total mo

total mo Guest

I read many articles online that it is very crappy, is it true?

2. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    They make it out to be worse then it really is in my opinion but XP still is better then vista. Thats why when getting my new PC I decided to stick with XP, and I'm very glad I did ^_^

3. Beebo

I use it, it's pretty, and it makes fun sounds. It's really easy to use, just different from the old style.

4. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It isn't really that bad. It's better than XP in my opinion... that is, if you have a powerful enough computer. Vista's main drawback is that it's very resource-hungry.

5. Beebo

I agree with fred, he is really good with computers.

6. Hoppip

I like Vista, but my old Sims games don't work for some reason. I think it's because it has a different method of saving.

To be honest, I'm a sucker for pretty styles. And Vista is prettier than XP... (Does this make me computer-shallow?)

I always think it's hilarious how Mac-users and Vista-users violently defend the honor of their OS's. : D

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think now that Service Pack 1 is out for it, it's okay. I have it on my new laptop and I've only run into one Vista-specific problem that I couldn't fix. But yeah, it is an incredible resource hog, so if you don't have a pretty powerful computer (and you MUST have at least 2GB RAM to run it well), then go with XP. Or if you have a lot of older peripherals (like scanners, printers, etc.), stick with XP because it's quite possible the manufacturers of those items haven't necessarily written software to get Vista to "talk" with those devices (that software is what we call "drivers" in case you'd ever heard the term).

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I use Vista on my laptop and XP on my desktop, and generally don't notice much difference. They both run the software I use OK, which is of course the point of an operating system. The only exception is that PhotoShop Elements 5 causes Vista to completely freeze sometimes (it's fine on XP).

As Joey said, Vista needs 2GB of RAM to run acceptably. A dual core processor helps too, as does a reasonable graphics chipset. If you don't have these, you don't want Vista.

Service Pack 1 has certainly cleared up many of the annoyances with Vista such as excessive security warning messages, odd crashes and slow file copying. File copying across a network is still slower than XP though, which seems stupid as file copying is a core function of an operating system...

If your PC is running XP and there are no problems with the software you are using, then there is no point in upgrading to Vista. It will look a bit different and will run your programs a bit more slowly. I see no real advantage to upgrading if you don't need to.

9. Alex

I use XP with SP3 on my desktop which runs fine but boots kinda slow.
    And i got Vista HP on my new laptop, C2D 2ghz, 8600GT 256mb, and 4gb of ram. And it runs just fine, and the boot time is like twice as fast than on my desktop even though the laptop runs many more processes.
    I like vista, though i turned UAC off because its annoying, else it works great. And i love the new Themes, and with an unlocked themeux.dll i can use all the custom aero themes i want.

10. SkyTears

Vista's draw backs:
    Uses up lots of computer resources (need a nicer machine to run)
    Bugs
    Vista Growth:
    Nothing comes out perfect (even XP had bugs) but that is why they release SPs to fix them so it should get better as time goes on just like any other OS
    It uses more computer resources because it holds more capability than XP

There are also people who say it is hard to figure out unlike XP but I find that to be false just because it only takes about 2 weeks to really learn then new system (less if you mess around with your computer more)

I use Vista and never had a problem with it but in the end it is really up to the user because it is almost like the fight of MAC and Microsoft only a fight of new and old Microsoft.

11. SamAlex728

We've had Vista before and it definitely had SAS. Slow as shit, that is. XP is better.

12. Poring

I used to have vista on a Pentium 4 and 1GB (DDR1) machine, and it was terribly slow! God how I hated vista back then.

Though after getting a new pc with new stuff (4 cores of fun!), it can now finally appreciate the OS. I love the search feature on it. Especially if you're looking for something important, just type it in, and it instantly pops up.

Yes, you need a good machine to run Vista, but if you do, I assure you, its worth it. Its a resource hog, but I was told that its because it uses all the available resources you have when it needs it, unlike XP where it just leaves it there unused.

13. sexyalex

maybe ur doing something wrong sean. I have Sims1 Sims2 and Sims nightlife and they allll work on vista :astonished: and i got Vista Ultimate Edition.

Vista? Love it, faster, prettier, SEXIER and waaay more features than XP. out with the old and in with the new *snaps fingers with attitude* :grin:

14. nonamechems

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm using VISTA right now... Mwahahahahahaha! lol jk w/e but its not that bad if you know how to get past the game blockers lol it doesnt make sense.... =/ w/e lol =]

15. sexyalex

lol tell me about it. When i just got my laptop i had a hard time downloading games from Nexon.net and ijji.com.
    My Battlefeild 2 wouldn't work (somthing about compatability) and i couldn't download the Live version to COD4 ... i could play Halo campaine but not internet multiplayer(kept saying i have to be admin even WHEN i was admin :dry:slight_smile:
    D:<
    I am nothing without PC games :tears: but i took it back to the dealer and he fixed the problem at an escalated cost.:grin:

#15 sexyalex, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  16. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As I gamer, all I can say is that I will never go over to Vista.

When run on identical hardware, a game's performance will be almost halved in Vista.

17. RENThead

i have vista, and i dont like it...
    im only using the simple version, so its similar to xp. but if i had the choice, i would go back to xp anyday.

18. Poring

I think all you had to do was rightclick -> run as administrator and the problem would be fixed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Arrk

My personal laptop runs on home XP and I love it.

The family computer which we bought like 2 months ago runs on Vista and I really don't see any problems with it. Of course some things are different but I haven't bothered on learning them since I only use that computer to print. (Surprisingly, my old printer which we bought like 4 years ago actually works on Vista.) I haven't bothered to check the specs of the computer but from what you guys say it should be good since it doesn't go slow ever.

Anyways, if you are trying to buy a new desktop / laptop, try to stick with XP since it's easier to diagnose a problem and try to fix it. If not, then Vista is great but like the other people say, you need a good processor and a lot of memory to actually enjoy it.

20. Sam

Sam

I have windows vista on my laptop and windows xp on my desktop. I absolutely HATE vista! There are so many things wrong with it plus I hate having to learn how to use something new. I never really use my laptop because of vista. I would much rather use my desktop.

Oh and I did type a couple of papers for class using word on my laptop and I was using the mla citation thing to cite my sources instead of doing it the longer way by typing it out myself and it got it completely wrong by not putting the info in the right order so the professor counted off for it and said that the next time I might not be so lucky and my paper might end up in the trash! I hate vista I really really do lol.

I think everybody gets the point hahaha.