1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Should I Do If My Career Takes Off?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ZenMusic, Feb 14, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

I'm not vocally endowed, so, I think I've said before I just want to make Music, Music Videos and be a Choreagrapher. Concerning the making music bit, should I be in a band or just make music for people?

2. duende84

Ohhh that is a tough one. What other music skills do you have?

I play piano and guitar and sing but I am no-where near good enough to do something on my own. But I have discovered the world of music production where you work together with a musician or band to "develop" their work into pieces that are good enough to do down to a CD.

Making music videos is also great fun and very doable with modern technology.

The music industry is so diverse and there are so many things to do. Not just perform.

---------- Post added 14th Feb 2014 at 01:15 PM ----------

Maybe you could also be good at music editing and sound engineering. The UK has a rich culture of top-class recording studios and recording engineer teaching establishments.

3. ZenMusic

I like R&B and Electronica Music, and I'd really like a MIDI Keyboard and some sort of Music Making Software. Other than that, I'd love to learn to play the Guitar. My Stage name is Zen, I'm not sure if you can have one in that line of Business. I'd also like to be a philantropist and an actor.

4. duende84

You may have a "stage name" nothing wrong with that.

Look at an M-Audio Axiom USB midi Keyboard and software like Cubase or Logic. If you want to be serious you have to look at Pro-Tools but it is expensive.

When in the music industry you must be able to adapt and fullfill a few rolls. You cannot just focus on one thing. So you are on the right track also wanting to be an actor and philantropist.

Dont hesitate to ask me about music production and/or gear. I'll try my best to give you answers.

5. ZenMusic

I feel like if I have a MIDI Keyboard, my music will be more free.

---------- Post added 14th Feb 2014 at 02:36 AM ----------

Ok, so I could work with people that can actually sing?

6. ZenMusic

I don't really know anyone talented that I could work with, at school or otherwise. Any other ways?

7. duende84

Finding talented people is not that difficult. Look for street-buskers, jam-sessions and the like. You can even post a "wanted" ad where you can invite singers and other musicians to a musical evening and by playing together evaluate they capability. This is sorta a crude "talent scout" session. It is always nicer to compose music with a fellow musician or two as the inspiration will then be doubled - and that is now many famous acts started. No sinlge "solo" artist has ever done anything alone - they have a dedicated team of composers, band members, producers and engineers that is working hard behind the scenes.

8. ZenMusic

The thing is... I need practice. And a LOT of it. I'll ask my Music Teacher if I can get some keyboard practice.

---------- Post added 14th Feb 2014 at 06:05 AM ----------

Two more questions. What if I have no experience, and is it better to work with people my age, or find older people to work with?

9. duende84

Practise makes perfect. You can never practise enough. Keep at it even if its just 1o minutes a day.

For a start mingle with people round your age but also see if you can befriend some older, more experienced artists. Music has no age limit :thumbsup: