1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian and/or Feminist Hip-Hop Music?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by couragetobeme, Feb 16, 2014.

1. couragetobeme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love hip-hop, and try to ignore the misogyny and all the talk about sucking dick, etc. Since I have only recently realized I am a lesbian, I've noticed that that stuff doesn't turn me on anymore... and that's what I like to listen to when I'm getting it on... with myself (sadly). Does anyone have any suggestions for lesbian and/or feminist hip-hop artists? Preferably the dirtier the better, but you know, anything with a good beat that is not pre-2000's would be awesome.

2. Hiems

Angel Haze is someone who comes to find. She is a rapper who identifies as pansexual. I like her song Battle Cry. She also did a cover of Macklemore's Same Love. Coming Out of the Closet is a really explicit song where she pretty much bares her soul.

Angel Haze and Macklemore are the only rappers that I can listen to because, as you mentioned, other people in the genre tend to be homophobic/misogynistic.

3. Daydream Harp

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but the rapper Lupe Fiasco have a song called "Bitch Bad" where he raps about how the constant use of the word "bitch" being used to casually refer to women raise kids into getting bad ideas about women's rights, it's pretty good

4. couragetobeme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Cool, thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out.

5. Beantown

Beantown Guest

Omg Nicki Minaj is like my favourite rapper. I don't think she's a lesbian but like I'm pretty sure she's bi. Her songs are pretty empowering and their fun to dance to, I remember in art class, when my art teacher would like ditch our class for his coordinator duties, me and two other cheerleaders would plug that speaker thing meant for the presentations into our laptops and just play nicki minaj and then we'd just start dancing closely together, (they're straight and well I was in the closet) it really annoyed the other kids since they were forced to listen to Nicki Minaj. There weren't that many kids in art since most of them dropped out senior year but like the other 5 kids like hated Nicki since they were into like metal or something but yeah I'd definately listen to Nicki Minaj especially Masquerade and I'm the Best.

6. couragetobeme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like Nikki Minaj as a person, but I don't care for her voice or style.
    I did listen to Angel Haze- holy wow! I love it. I'm downloading 2 albums right now from my cheap-o borderline legal music source, megaboon.com. :slight_smile: