1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's the deal with microsoft silverlight?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by total mo, Jul 9, 2008.

1. total mo

total mo Guest

I encountered this website that prompt me to install a microsoft silverlight plugin. I clicked on install missing plugins, and then went back to the same page, but there was really nothing that appeared on that same page. The page's on facebook btw.

2. Corny

Corny Guest

install it from the MS website (hint: google) for it. hope what you got wasn't some kind of malware. silverlight is microsofts pendant to adobe flash. they can't stand that someone has more marketshare then them :wink:

3. total mo

total mo Guest

i did, i waited if theres a something that will load from the page but it was just blank. :confused:

4. Corny

Corny Guest

nope, that's not the same thing as installing it from the ms website. many websites fake those "install this plugin" or "install this codec" dialog boxes to trick you into installing some kind of malware.

5. total mo

total mo Guest

hey corny, i went to the microsoft site and told me to download the installer. i did, and i have to restart my browser, when i returned to the microsoft site, it's still saying download msl now.

6. Corny

Corny Guest

ok sorry then - the way you phrased it in the first post made it seem like you got some popup and installed it from there.
    i just went to http://www.microsoft.com/SILVERLIGHT/ and installed silverlight - works perfectly on both IE and FF 2.x - what browser are you using?
    did you download the .exe file (silverlight.exe) or did you do some kind of online installation? did you restart your browser after installing it?

7. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Silverlight is supposed to deliver rich content similar to Flash, though suck less. I've also heard others mention that developing on it is actually pretty decent, especially if you're used to developing in other Microsoft languages.

8. Poring

silverlight also comes as an windows update (for vista anyway :/), just install the latest updates or look for it manually in windows update screen and it should be there.

Didn't bother to install it though. :l

9. total mo

total mo Guest

I'm using firefox 3.0 and I just downloaded the silverlight2.0 and installed it.