1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Song I Arranged as Midi

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Arrk, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Arrk

I made this in the anonymous section so you can give me truthful feedback without me knowing who said it.

So, anyway a couple of weeks ago, I decided to Wiki Britney Spears just to get a summary of her life in a few short paragraphs, haha. You know Wiki- one links leads to the other and I eventually stumbled upon the page of her album, In the Zone and they have samples there you can listen and of course they had "Toxic" which I played- the high pitched hook left me wanting more so I downloaded it and played it over 120 times in the course of about...2 weeks. I went to download a midi of the song and I found it to be terrible so I decided to make my own but with a twist- arrange it as a score so it would be physically possible for a band to actually play the song. I finished the midi in just two days, taking about 2 hours on the third day to just clean it up. If you haven't heard "Toxic" you can listen to it here.

I'm just an amateur at this stuff, and this is the first midi I have ever made.
    Of course, I couldn't get every single special effect of the song into the arrangement. ;-]

I would really appreciate truthful comments. Thanks.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBc8iBBvxkc[/YOUTUBE]

2. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Did you have the actual MIDI file? What did you use to convert it to a format for Youtube?

Also I can appreciate the work that goes into making it, especially if you don't have any sheet music for it.

The last thing I did that was anywhere close to this was getting a microcontroller to play music using a square wave generator. Though what I did was get the song as a MIDI then decompile it into sheet music, which I then converted into frequencies.

#2 Kenko, Jul 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  3. Arrk

Firstly thanks for your comment, I really appreciate it. :]

I made and arranged the file in Notation Composer and saved it as a midi. Then what I did was I opened the midi file in Finale Notepad, recorded the stream using Audacity and then saved it as an mp3 file.

I used Finale because the instrument's sounds are much closer to the actual timbre than Notation Composer's.

I then simply opened Windows Movie Maker, dragged the single's cover image as the video and uploaded the mp3 as the background music; saved it as a .wmv and uploaded it.

Technically it is still a midi- I just saved it as an mp3 so it would be compatible with Movie Maker.

4. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've moved this over to Entertainment.

The anonymous forum is only for support and advice topics. If peeps want to comment on music then they need to be brave enough to do so openly. :grin:

5. Arrk

Okay, sorry for the mix-up. :]