1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The pros and cons of a macbook?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MusicIsLife, Jul 10, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

Im prolly getting one within the next few months, and i wanna know what the pros and cons are of them, cause i know nothing about computers.

2. LOVEjames

There are no cons. :slight_smile:

>_> I really don't know, either. I have a MacBook Pro, but I don't fully utilize everything that it can do, and I never really have for any computer since I just use it for the basic stuff. But everything that I do with it (Run a few basic programs, downloading, listen to music, schoolwork) is extremely easy.

3. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As much as some would peg me as being an Apple hater, I actually like the Macbook.

Pros:
    -The 13.3" size is very portable, yet still has a big (enough) screen. I know people that drag macbooks around all day no complaints, and use it as their "main machine" no complaints.

-Overall the unit has a solid feel,

-good battery life.

-It's much cheaper, and better equipped than the slightly more portable MacBook Air.

-It comes with magsafe which I think is an incredibly useful invention, though I'm convinced Mac users purposely place their power cords in very precarious arrangements so they can shout "Mag safe" when someone trips on the cord and it flies out of the computer. I've actually had this happen.

-Accessing the RAM and Hard drive is possible without ripping the machine appart, unlike other Apple products.

Cons:

-More expensive than a comparably equipped PC Laptop. Though if you want MacOS / Apple it's the way to go.

-Base model does not come with DVD burner and only has 1GB RAM. Laughable for the price. Really one has to go "one model up" in my opinion.

-Limited connectivity: No modem, no memory card slot, only 2 USB ports, connecting an external monitor requires the purchase of a $20 adapter.

-Has an asinine design of the fan exhaust blowing up through the screen hinge, precluding running the machine with the lid shut. Apparently I'm only one of five people in the world that want my computer to keep running when the lid is shut.

4. Malchik89

You also forgot to mention how way faster they are than pcs, how graphic wize they excel , and how its almost completely more likely that youll pick up a virus on a pc with virus protection than a mac without one. So yeah i have a mac now, and i loves loves loves it! its way worth it

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely true. Except the MacBook Air is infinitely more portable, because the MacBooks are incredibly heavy for their size. Like much more heavy than they should be. Helps with them feeling solid but it's a pain to lug around.

Still, if you want to do anything more than email/wordprocessing/watching movies, skip the MacBook Air.

The counter-pro to this is that you can boot into Windows if you want (with Bootcamp and if you have a Windows install key) or run Windows stuff virtually while MacOS is running via Parallels.

That's a good point. Of course, I barely ever burn anything anymore--I use external drives and USB keys.

I wasn't aware most laptops had more than 2 USB ports. As for no modem, what's a modem? :lol: Seriously, unless you're travelling or going outside major cities, you'll do just fine with the wireless adapter and ethernet jack. And to offset the "only 2" USB ports, has a FireWire port (albeit only 400 but still). Ooooh... FireWire... so delicious.

Sorry... I just love FireWire 800... it is like having an internal drive.

6. Jace

Well I have an old iBook G4, but my mom has a MacBook, they pretty much the same thing cept the macbook has a better processer

And well in the case of my iBook it's great!! I've had it for nearly three years and I haven't had any problems, not one virus or anything

WAaaay better than Windows imo

7. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The processor is faster, but RAM and Disk I/O are where performance bottlenecks actually occur. As far as graphics, Macbooks come with the Intel X3100 which is a piece of shit, though not as bad as the GMA950 they used to ship Macbooks with. The NVidia 7200 in my HP notebook is better.

Although lighter than the Macboook, the Air still has a large footprint, compared to other ultra portables like the Eee. And if are buying it for those basic tasks, skip the Macbook Air and get an Eee

Or boot your PC into MacOS / use it in a VM. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I had a friend that had a workterm in a rural area and couldn't connect to the internet because it was dialup only.

Even the Eee has 3 USBs.

8. Leigh

Leigh Guest

i just got one. i love it :grin:
    and its really pretty LOL
    a disadvantage is that its different to other PCs so im kinda having to learn to use a computer again...but if i can use it anyone can :slight_smile:

9. Malchik89

Well pardon me but i guess my card in my hp desktop was a piece of shit then cuz my black macbook already excels it.

Plus may i say that multitasking is so much easier on macs because like im just basing it off my desktop, but like on there everytime i started another task, it would just run slower and slower and start lagging and bla. Macs i dont have that problem