1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do You Promote Your Music?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ZenMusic, Feb 25, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

Has anyone released a mixtape or an EP to promote their music? If so, did you have any help and how did you do it?

2. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Firstly get it up on YouTube and connect with other artists. Offer your opinion on their songs. Join several music websites and offer your tracks for free download. Do the same on lastfm. Do digital splits with other artists. Get on digital compilations. I don't know anything beyond that because I was never serious.

3. man dolen

Try Bandcamp.

4. ZenMusic

I'm basically just make the music, I'm better off working with someone that can actually sing.

---------- Post added 25th Feb 2014 at 03:14 AM ----------

I'm on Bandcamp right now, and I don't really want people paying for my music at the moment, do they have to?

5. man dolen

No, you can add a option to name a price for your album/EP and they can name 0€(so it's free).

6. ZenMusic

I can't sing or rap, so again, I'd have to work with someone.

7. Harve

Once you've uploaded something to Soundcloud or Bandcamp or whatever, contact blogs that post music similar to yours, and if they like it they'll post it.

8. AAASAS

Youtube and Myspace; yes myspace is still relevant.

Anything that allows you to showcase your work and drives decent traffic. Uploading your stuff on as many sites as possible is the best.

I get the majority of my music online, and only ever discover new artists with very little views on Youtube. So people are out there looking for no-name artists, I got hundreds of no-name artists.

The coolest thing is being able to talk to and compliment artists that I like. I love youtube for that because I actually get responses.

Do not charge for music unless you have thousands of hits. People do not enjoy artists that are trying to cash in when they aren't even popular; or have proven themselves yet. I only ever pay for music if I listen to an artist consistently and they are putting out music enough. No point in giving money to someone that released one mixtape. They have to have a portfolio of talent before they deserve money.

It's like a drug dealer; I know bad analogy, but you give your stuff out for free, and if it's "good" enough, people will come back to pay for it.

As well, you should just be happy by getting hits.

I haven't uploaded any of my work mainly because I hate my drum sets(need higher quality) and I've lost the majority of it due to computer problems. But I would be stoked if I had any views.

#8 AAASAS, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014