1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hunger Games

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by XTREMEZish, Feb 26, 2014.

1. XTREMEZish

Does anyone like/love the hunger games. It is so cool. Even though people may criticize it for being a copy of battle royal it is not anything like battle royal. They take very different approaches to it. Like Battle Royal (BR) takes the approach of it saying violence is bad, the hunger games (HG) takes the approach of how humans watch reality T.V and how far that can go and out basic desire to watch other people's conflict. The first one did that.

Love HG.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first two books were brilliant, they even made me cry in places...third one was kind of 'meh'.

It also broke my golden rule of literature.

Never. EVER. Write a prologue where some of your characters get married. If it wasn't important enough for the actual story, leave it the hell out! Really, REALLY bugs me!

3. CharlieChalk

I really like the books too! :slight_smile:

I also think that the way the films have been made from the books, whilst making it understandable for people who haven't watched the books was very clever and worked well :slight_smile:

4. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Agreed, loved the first 2, 3rd was eh. I thought it was kinda all over the place compared with the first two. Catching Fire especially which had such a perfect structure and buildup. I'm interested to see what mockingjay as movies will be like even so. Since they've been solid book > movie adaptations with everyone in them giving excellent performances so far I could see myself enjoying it more in movie form on that level.

#4 kageshiro, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  5. Sully

I think the movies are great. I haven't read the books though. Most people tend to think the movies are 'better' though, for those that have read them, do you agree?

6. Foxface

nope...couldn't stand it...

7. Yosia

They are both better in their own ways, i thought the first one the book was better but that was because the movie wassnt as good as it could have been but cathcing fire is a really tough choice and i personally would say movie as i have little attention span so if i read for long i can forget what happens >_<

Its a matter of what you prefer, i would read the books anyway though as they are amazing ^^

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've not seen the films yet, and I'm not sure I'll be able to get through them. None of the characters appear remotely like how I imagined them from the books and it would just be weird...

9. Yosia

Oh and also one reason for watching the movies, Peeta and Finnick are HOT :3

10. Foxface

seriously though...yeah I adore Foxface

the movies were good...but of course they lack details. I had a weird setup with this series

I saw the first movie, then read first book, then read the other two books THEN saw Catching Fire...so I was going into this in an awkward fashion

one of my favorite books ever is Catching Fire...even though my beloved Foxface is only in Hunger Games

11. TheShyGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think the movies are decent, but I LOVE the books. I actually just finished reading "The Hunger Games" for the millionth time the other day, and am about to start re-reading "Catching Fire".

12. Ravi-VIXX777

Loved the series. Although it felt there wasn't a perfectly good character besides Katniss, Rue, and Prim. The love story was very interesting though. Favorite characters are Johanna Mason and Beetee and Foxface maybe third? I tend to love the smart ones.

13. Foxface

I fixed that for you lol

14. Ravi-VIXX777

Lol I will admit she was my favorite in the first book :icon_wink

15. Abbra

I was actually introduced to the universe through the movies so I'm probably more fair to the movies than the average fan.

I love the books, especially Catching Fire. But I personally don't see anything exceptional with the actual style of the writing. It's certainly not bad, and the plot and characters are fantastic. But there really isn't anything that stylistically sets it apart. That doesn't make it bad by any means and I still overall enjoy the books over the movies. But the movies do have a certain creative charm to them.

16. XTREMEZish

The first one was good
    Second one was meh (Didn't seem to have a beginning middle and end, mainly a filler)
    Third is my favorite

17. antibinary

Love it (Well, the first book anyway, the rest are awful). I like the Satire on Reality TV, and the fact Katniss and Rue are awesome.

18. Rosalynn

I loved the books, then I loved the movies. The first book is the best one. My favourite character would be Haymitch who was the best portrayed in the movies. Finnick and Annie come a close second.

19. claiire

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Loved all three books and so far the movies have been really good adaptions. Jennifer Lawrence is the perfect Katniss. In fact, all the casting is pretty much perfect in my books. Though I did feel the first book was the best, and Mockingjay was the weakest, I still loved all three and I did cry during the last one :lol: It takes a lot to make me cry and I very very rarely cry at books so that was quite an accomplishment.

20. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Just.....nah man. Bogus . And the third comes out next week i think .