1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite Rapper

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ZenMusic, Mar 2, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

Mine is Angel Haze.

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me, when I do karaoke to this song:
    [YOUTUBE]sUmIiWLoEuo[/YOUTUBE]

3. FrozenFae

Macklemore. He's like Emimen....without all the hillbilly-ness and vile homophobia

4. robotman

Azealia Banks... She is so damn good, too bad she hasn't released anything in ages and also to bad she runs her mouth alot as she has alienated alot of people who could have helped her progress in the music industry but I still love her :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

5. ZenMusic

I like Azealia too, even after her spat with Angel.

6. Simple Thoughts

As sad as this is to say Eminem is actually my favorite rapper xD

With probably Hopsin as a close second.

7. ZenMusic

Wiz Khalifa is horrid.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Finally a music thread I can get into.

First my current favorite rapper is probably tied between Problem or Tyga. The new west coast movement is being lead by those two with DJ mustard and league of starz on the production end. Those two bring new wordplay and flow to the game.

My all time favorite time is Jay Z. He's timeless.

As far as wiz khalifa being a bad rapper, he's not, it's his content is literally all about smoking weed or ... Smoking more weed. He makes mellow party jams and such, and some deep bass beats on his tracks like "get on my level".

And Mackelmore is awesome too. Clearly we know same love is a necessary track in today's day and age.

9. the112

the112 Guest

10. kaypulu

Kanye West.

I know he's egoistic and douchey, but all I care for is the music. Not how many award speeches he has interrupted. He is ridiculously clever when it comes to sampling. He has an exquisite taste for that, and that's what I enjoy. He has created a new Jeezy for every album he has made, and while I enjoy My Dark Twisted Fantasy from the beginning to the end, I'm also in love with tracks with more of an early 2000's sound like "All Falls Down" and "Heard Em Say". Laid back, simple, smooth. And then I can go on and listen to "Monster" and still get so down with it. Speaking about Monster, even Nicki Minaj sounds dope on that one.

And just.. Adam Levine, Chris Martin, Daft Punk, Bon Iver, how well he has made them to mesh with his genre? Damn well. Not to mention his other featured artists and just you never know what he'll do next.

But.. I have to mention just two other names; Andre 3000 & Big Boi.
    And if you will, can I throw in Lauryn Hill too? Great.

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeeezus is garbage. Kanye is great.

12. AAASAS

Haha, that guy performed at my elementary school when I was like 9.

I can't have a favourite rapper because it consistently changes.

For actual flow I'd either pick Slug, Murs or Thes One.

For Vocal Sound Sunspot Jonz, Q -Tip, Plug One or Plug Two

For personal favourite I'd pick Aesop Rock, Thes One or Raashan Ahmad... actually no it's Decompoz from Binary Star. I've yet to hear a rap song with better flow than this one. I can't find their song Rivers Run Wild on Youtube which is really weird but that's actually their best song, it's ridiculously dirty.
    [youtube]FnD_CXnXEB8[/youtube]

For actual overall talent it'd have to be Slug or Cise Star

For more active current rappers, It's most likely Aesop Rock, Swamburger, and Dark Time Sunshine.

Even looking over my list I want to make changes, but it'd be hard to get rid of who I've listed as well.

I'm pretty sure though that Slug and Aesop are two rappers I couldn't live without. And Thes one, ha and Raashan,

For main stream rappers, I don't really like any new ones. Lil Wayne I actually liked because he actually seemed more "real" in a sense that he isn't pandering to the masses than others. Jay-Z is up there, I don't really like any of his new stuff though, and I absolutely fucking love Biggie Smalls, even though he's no longer new. Other than that I don't really consider the likes of Eminem and Kanye West worthy of mention for anything. They're both moronic losers. I know hundreds of rappers with more talent that are much more deserving of fame and being role models than them.

Eminem is an angry, homophobic, woman abusing, white trash, pop artist.

Kanye is an angry, white person hating, politically motivated though uneducated on politics, stupid pop artist.

I honestly have more respect for Gucci Mane, and Whaka Flaka

#12 AAASAS, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  13. kaypulu

Haven't listened to it that much tbh, I tend to get on the last train possible. But I feel like Yeezus 2013 is the same as it was with 808s & Heartbreak in 2008. A very different sound, not anyone got into it the time it was released, but in the end was it really that bad though?

All I can say that Bound 2 has grown on me. Was it because of James Franco and Seth Rogen? Possibly. But the more I've listened to a few tracks from Yeezus, the more I've liked it. Definitely not the best Kanye we've heard, but I wouldn't call it gargabe. Or couldn't.

Also to add on my original post, Chance the Rapper's Mixtape? Now that's something.
    //the new Mixtape Acid Rap

14. Nicholas1991

Biggie, his story is fucking inspiring.

15. the112

the112 Guest

@kaypulu

I've been a huge Chance the Rapper fan since a friend played some of his stuff for me last fall. I tried to shout him out in an earlier response to this, but I linked a couple of youtube videos in the post and realize that since I'm new to the forum it'll probably take time to be vetted/approved.

On a semi-related note, is vocal texture a big selling point for your rap music experience? I've asked lots of people if they like rapper X (usually someone like kanye, chance, lil wayne, eminem), and if they don't, their first reason is, "I don't like his voice." I personally don't really care what you sound like if you're doing things that are conceptually/linguistically/stylistically innovative/interesting/fun, but I also feel like I'm sometimes in the extreme minority.

16. LiquidSwords

Obvious choices but Biggie or Method Man, shall return with a tribute to both tomorrow.

17. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That A$AP Rocky Album is so underrated. The beats are raw like uncooked chicken. His rhymes are so ethereal and trippy. I normally hate that but I'm feeling his stuff.

And don't hate that I also love Chief Keef and Trap amigos lately...

18. kaypulu

@the112

In my opinion vocal texture is important. I can see it affecting my music taste more in sung music rather than rap, but it's kind of a neutral factor; sometimes vocal texture fills in where someone's singing abilities are lacking, sometimes it can push me away from certain artists. But what's most important to me in rap is the flow and the beat/sampling. Although, I have to say I prefer rappers who have a nice baritone or something nasal to their voice. What drives me away from a rap-artist is bad sampling, and then "annoying" voice to top it of.

19. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me sometimes a lyrics are just another part of the music and the content isn't important.

20. kaypulu

Anyone up for some grime? Dizzee Rascal's first three albums are enjoayble imo. And while I'm bringing up rappers with an accent I'd throw in M.I.A. too, though her thing is definitely the electro beats. Used to be a big fan of M.I.A. but I think I may have overplayed Kala.