1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereotypes In Music

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ZenMusic, Mar 3, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

Right, I've had it up to here with some obnoxious metalheads constantly stereotyping "mainstream" music. It seems as if one person says they like Rap or R&B and they are immediately ganged up on by people who like metal and called mindless, uncultured, etc etc.Even I'll admit that some of the stuff played on the radio doesn't sound like the people who made the song put their all into it, but that's not a good enough reason to insult someone. Obviously not all people who like metal are like this, but it seems like the ones I've met are. So what exactly is the point in doing it?

2. Higs

Hmmm maybe because metalheads are stereotyped more than anyone else? I mean the extremes, being even called satanist when you are actually just enjoying the music...
    I´ve been called all sorts of weird stuff for liking metal by people who don´t really know what that is really...
    But yeah, I agree, some of my friends are very ..defensive.. when it comes to that. Takes only so many times of being ridiculed until you fight back?
    I guess, I don´t really know, for me it´s more like - for everyone it´s own.

3. Harve

Yeah in all fairness, it's those that listen to music on the fringes, like metal, that can be stereotyped the most.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The point, if you can call it that, I suppose would be that FOR THE MOST PART metal is perceived to take some seriously hard work. I mean you take the work of most of the best actual metal bands and it's going to take years of work to be able to replicate it, where as it is often seen (not necessarily accurately) that anyone can dick around on ProTools for half an hour and create the majority of modern music.

This view isn't helped by the fact that if you go to a music college you are basically taught from day one that music created electronically, which counts for a vast amount of modern popular music, takes unimaginably less time to work with than trying to individually record every part of a single metal track.

But as it's been said above, metal fans get more shit than any other musical following for SO many terrible and completely bullshit reasons so I guess it's a learned response, if you have one thing that DOES set you apart from the rest, you go for it.

Consider the other side, the amount of people who will happily say that any random pop star is 'better' than your average metal band because their music sells more. Or hipsters who swear blind that this guy you've never heard of who INSISTS on playing nothing but 80's power ballads with a Jews Harp and spoons is SO much better than everyone else because it's more 'original'.

People just pick something that sets their thing apart and SOME people use it to call everyone else crap.

#4 BookDragon, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  5. Simple Thoughts

I think any musician who captures an audience is doing a good job myself.

I don't think the amount of sales matters, I don't think the originality matters ( well to an extent, or the vibe of the music even.

I think what matters is whether or not as an artist they can capture an audience and connect with people on that level. Everything else is irrelevant.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm just sick of the mentality that "they just don't make music like they used to".

Music preference is one thing but saying old school rock or rap (the Beatles are Soooo much better than say... i dunno Coldplay or A tribe called quest is better than Drake) is better is something that irritates me. "Mainstream" haters for the sake of it irritate me.

I don't go around calling other music sucky and I hate the elitism found in the music choices of certain groups.

7. Harve

Indeed! (tangent alert) The internet has allowed so much more music to be heard - it's far less dominated by just the US and the UK, and being able to release music to Soundcloud/Bandcamp/iTunes and getting by big using the Blogosphere relies far less on getting the outside financial support of record labels than releasing a CD/touring endlessly/getting radio play, as was necessary 10+ years ago. The major-label record contract often comes after being heard, not necessarily before.

I can't speak for the quality, but it's far more democratic this way.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with your point on a basic level that one shouldn't be elitist about music. I included the parentheses because I believe with all my heart that the Beatles are better than Coldplay :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but while I am not at all a fan, I wouldn't say they suck. That's just a case of different styles and opinions.

That said though, I feel completely safe saying that mainstream pop is garbage. It's carefully created to touch basic brain functions (hence why some is so catchy), while ultimately delivering no message or meaning.

[youtube]nz43n0dIXuA[/youtube]

Minimal offense meant to the example because it's one of the better ones, but its repetition of "Tonight" and very simple party lyrics don't speak to me or really even ring true. The subject of trying to fake being happy while dealing with a breakup may work with young teenagers, but it just seems shallow to me.

That's not to say I don't like any radio songs like this ("What Makes You Beautiful" by 1D, "22" by Taylor Swift, and "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen are my guilty pleasures XD) I find infinitely more satisfaction in music with more feeling and personality to it. Some of what I describe here may be an acquired taste. It takes a few comparatively uneventful listens for the song to finally click, and really blow you away. I've found Billy Joel in particular to be absolutely prolific with these kinds of songs. He's a remarkable songwriter, and has the technical chops to express anything and everything through instruments and subtle vocal gymnastics that leave me speechless. Call me a fanboy, but he has his thumb on the pulse of humanity and can make the most unassuming subjects into a masterpiece. The song below, written decades ago about the year 2017, is imaginative of what might have happened had NYC not been able to pull out of a financial crisis.

[youtube]o3vM0KxQ2Io[/youtube]

What I'm trying to say is that scores of musicians could learn from his precedent and I hope they do, because he's not going to be around forever. :/

#8 Argentwing, Mar 4, 2014
  9. LiquidSwords

Tbf, The Beatles and ATCQ are the better artists here :grin: I'm kidding, this is only my opinion, for others who enjoy Coldplay more than The Beatles and it's not really my place to say they're wrong. I agree very much with the sentiment of your post.

I don't think it's actually possible to objectively analyse whether one piece of music is better than another, and it annoys me when people try to. Personally I find most metal pretty intolerable to listen to but I'd never knock it because I know that for some people they love it as much as I love the music I listen to, and I understand that people often get the same reaction from hip hop, that I do from metal.

There's Bieber and 1D singles I'd rather listen to than Beethoven; the idea that some music can be said to be objectively better bothers me, and people who are elitist about the music they happen to like are the biggest bores. Each to their own, there is no right and wrong answer with the music you listen to.

10. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See... Here's the thing. I think that contemporary artists are better at musical stylings and listenability.

That whole "touch brain functions" is absolutely true. Music is a mathematical pattern that appeals to people. And I personally find a catchy tune that makes me feel happy more important than some "artistic message". So that "garbage" mainstream pop reference IS that elitist attitude again.

11. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm one of those people who listens to stuff that isn't as mainstream. I know a lot of people who insult my music that only listen to rap and pop. I value creativity and intelligence in music, and I'm sorry, but 99 percent of what I hear today has neither.

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not making fun of anyone's choice. I just hate the "if it's mainstream it's stupid mass produced garbage". If it wasn't popular then people wouldn't think it's good and listen to it.

13. FrozenFae

Could be that actual work and talent go into rock and metal. They don't steal everyone else's beats and pass it off as their own work like dubstep and rap constantly do.

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes because clearly rock doesn't use similar riffs or drum patterns that other artists already did... :dry:

15. BelleFromHell

I'm a metalhead and I grew up listening to classic rock/metal and nu metal; Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Beetles, Metallica, KoRn, Linkin Park, Incubus, Three Days Grace, Evanescence, The Cure, etc...
    I'm also an "ATLien" (slang term for someone from Atlanta, Georgia), and grew up listening to stuff like OutKast and Gnarls Barkley as well, so I'm certainly not biased against rap or R&B. I WILL say, however, that modern day mainsteam has beaten and tortured rap music to the point where it's hard to find original and decent rap music. I still love the genre itself, I just don't love much modern rap, that's all. I guess I'm a little hipster...

#15 BelleFromHell, Mar 4, 2014
  16. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was 14 and 15 I insulted emo music. I said mean stuff like "who wants to listen to some effeminate guy strumming on a guitar in fairy voice crying about a breakup." I made jokes to impress people. They insulted emo music and I copied them. It stopped through a combination of dating a girl that liked emo music and me going to my first metal concerts. It shocked me how open minded most of the guys I met were. I felt really bad. I had some messed up ideas about masculinity. Also I had some sexuality issues going on. Turns out I fancy feminine guys and fooled myself into thinking otherwise. Loads of denial. I was insanely insecure. I hope that provides some insight for you. Not an excuse, rather an explanation. They're insulting pop music because they think it makes them look smart and/or cool.

I'm a fan of Rhapsody of Fire. They're HEAVILY inspired by classical music. Some people are all "they're stealing classical music" and yeah after I listened to some classical music I see the resemblance. Still a talented band though. I'll listen to what I enjoy. I've heard this and that pattern so many times throughout music. I'm happy as long as it's not an exact copy of a song and it sounds good to me. Right now I'm just tired of some people saying "How can you not enjoy Metallica. They're the best band ever."

The battles within metal... extremely tedious on the internet! There's a certain famous symphonic power metal band and people got upset when they obtained a new singer. They kept saying nonsense like oh this singer A is less talented than the fired T. Good grief. If they have time to argue over that...wow. Both singers were quite talented actually. People maybe become accustomed to one and get attached. If they don't like it they can go listen to her solo project. I know there was more to it than that. But I digress.

I listen to both music I consider 'intelligent' and 'simple' music. What is good... that is subjective. I love Death Metal and I know most people can't stand it. It's not all about murder and gore. Even when it is, so what, it's not meant to be taken seriously. Anyone who would replicate it... they've lost touch with reality.

#16 Lawrence, Mar 4, 2014
  17. Higs

Could you actually be talking about Nightwish? There's probably not a single symphonic fan that didn't see the singer A vs singer B somewhere...

18. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. It might have been the first symphonic power metal band I heard. I've been out of the loop since Dark Passion Play. It was the first time I saw people argue over a new singer.

19. Higs

Oh don't worry, they still do, actually singer B already left and there is going to be a singer C, so youtube comments are better than ever before ! :grin:

20. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just googled. Yes, I have some catching up to do. Wow. Singer C is what I've heard before on After Forever's self-titled release from 2007. Pathfinder will get a singer B soon and no doubt this pattern reoccurs. If I look on YouTube... I bet I see comments about stereotypical Satanism or sub-sub-sub genre naming wars. Is it blackened industrial death metal or symphonic death metal with industrial influences? We shall never know.

First there was Black Metal vs Death Metal. Then Nu-Metal vs True Metal. Now it is Deathcore vs Death Metal. Earache even sells a t-shirt that says "f**kdeathcore". Some people spend more time complaining about a genre than the time the genre's fans spend listening to it! I don't enjoy most Deathcore. Whatever. A few people are disappointed when they discover I don't mock Deathcore. Sucks to be them.

I actually like that label. They've never let me down. Something that hasn't escaped my notice is low-scoring bands on reviews sites... suddenly receiving glowing reviews and the praise is so empty. I think some labels are paying for this promotion. I know this is done with video games.

I don't think I've received hate for my music choice. One of the worst was a girl in college said "metal, that's the heavy rubbish, isn't it?" And various laughs when I bring up 'Funeral Doom Metal' or 'Brutal Death Metal'. There was one lame Death Metal band... all the members claimed to be killers and I simply thought to myself...'you're trying too hard.' Now to stop myself rambling.