1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are the Oscars keeping gay actors closeted?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by doctoryanstone, Mar 4, 2014.

1. "First, I would like to thank the Academy for showing that it can be about the performance and not the politics." - Mo'Nique after winning her Best Supporting Actress award for "Precious" in 2010.

Last sunday was the 86th Oscars. An award that a million people would kill to have.

The big problem with the Oscars is its politics. In its early years, the Academy would think twice before handing over an award to a black actor/actress, no matter how great their performance were.

It seems that nowdays they gave up this prejudice. We've seen Whoopi Goldberg, Denzel Washington, Halle Berry, Morgan Freeman, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Hudson, Forest Whitaker, Mo'Nique, Octavia Spencer and this year, Lupita Nyong'o, each of them going up the Oscar's stage receive their statuette for what ultimately matters: their talent.

Will this ever happen with a gay actor?

The living proof of the Academy's prejudice with the LGBT related it was when Crash won Best Picture over Brokeback Mountain. Meanwhile, the BAFTAs and the Golden Globes gave Brokeback their Best Picture awards. They didn't see any problem with that.

So what's the big deal, Academy?

They're completely okay with giving straight actors an award for playing gay characters, but are bizarrely reactionary when it comes to give a gay actor an award for doing a straight character.

Some straight actors who were awarded for a gay character:

- Tom Hanks for Philadelphia (1994)
    - Charlize Theron for Monster (2004)
    - Hilary Swank for Boys Don't Cry (2000)
    - Sean Penn for Milk (2009)

Dustin Lance Black won Best Original Screenplay in 2009, but I'm talking about the acting awards, because those are the awards that the audience care the most.

I have no doubt some of the Academy voters are conservatives. But the Oscars are supposed to award you for your acting not for your sexuality. If you refuse to award somebody for their sexuality, there is no better word for that rather than discrimination. Because homosexuality does not interfere on somebody's competence to do a good work. It's the same thing than fire an employee for being gay.

But what would be the Academy's reason for doing so? My theory is, assuming that half of America is conservative, these people are part of their audience. So obviously stupid people would not watch the Oscars anymore if they see a homosexual winning an award. So this is it? They don't wanna lose the audience?

Even so, they shouldn't want these people as audience. They're discriminative, for wanting to decide what a person should have or not on their life based on sexuality. So why do they want to have this people watching them?

This doesn't happen just in the Oscars. Lots of directors and studios still don't want gay actors in their movies, playing a leading role. They simply think "eww this guy must take it up the a--, that's disgusting, I don't want somebody that does that on my movie". Well let me ask: does that affect your life? Does that interfere on the actors talent? His private life does not concern anybody rather than he himself.

Michael Douglas even said he knows a lot of closeted actors, who want to protect their careers. They do not want lose good roles and probably don't want lose Oscars.

I have no doubt there are closeted actors out there who wish to win an Academy one day. And their politics is what keeps those actors hiding themselves.

But I always wondered, will the Academy ever stop with this? This is so ridiculous, so discriminative, so disrespectful. Homosexuality doesn't interfere in somebody's talent, of course not. There is actually no harm on giving a gay actor an award, just like 50 years ago there was no harm on giving a black person an award too.

I hope one day a gay actor will be able to make Mo'Nique's words his words.

Do you agree with me? Do you also think that the Oscars have politics with gays?

(PS: is much easier a lesbian actress get an Oscar rather than a gay actor getting one, because like I said, people think lesbian sex is hot but gay sex is disgusting :dry:slight_smile:

#1 doctoryanstone, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014
  2. willycubed28

You had me in your corner right up until this argument. I agree with most of what you are saying, but do not start making assumptions about what people are thinking unless you know for a fact it is what they are thinking. You do not know if they really think that. So making assumptions about people when you don't know is true makes you lose credibility in some way with what you are saying. I mean no offense. Like I said I agree with most of everything until you start making assumptions to what people are thinking.

3. You don't need to talk like if what I said is directly affecting people's life, for crying out loud.

4. willycubed28

I didn't. I was just stating my opinion. Like I said I meant no offense but making assumptions about what people may or may not be thinking does not help what you were trying to say in your original post. That is all I was trying to say.

5. Yes but your problem is that you focused entirely on this part of the thread and ignored all the rest. I asked opinions about the Oscars' politics, not an advice about "making assumptions". What you said has absolutely NOTHING to do with what I asked. You could've said that, might as well say something about the thread, but no, you said ONLY your making assumptions stuff. Where's your opinion about the politics? This is what I wanted.

Compared to everything I wrote, the part that you focused the most is trivial. I said that based on a derogatory comment about gays made by Mel Gibson in 1991.

#5 doctoryanstone, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014
  6. willycubed28

Actually to me it isn't trivial. To me I think when someone makes those kind of assumptions then the whole point to me isn't valid. I said that I agreed with everything that you wrote up until that part of the post. Secondly, I wasn't being mean like you are doing to me. I even said several times I meant no offense and I meant that. I wasn't being argumentative or anything. I was just stating my opinion on that part of the post. You wrote it so therefore I can pick out what stands out the most and talk about it. That part stood out to me.

7. It may not be trivial for you, but compared to every single thing I wrote it is trivial. Being owner of the thread, I expected opinions about what I asked. Yes, you can pick out what stands out the most, but could you not be narrowed only to what standed out? This is what I said, you focused only, entirely on that part. So far you were the only one who answered the thread but you didn't talk about the politics, so I got nothing.

And I didn't mean to offend either.

8. willycubed28

Okay you want the politics?? After reading and re-reading your thread and the more I think about it I don't think they purposefully try to leave gay people out of it or from winning. I just do not think there is any conspiracy coming from the Academy and I don't think they are thinking what you said they were thinking. Yes, you presented examples but even though Brokeback Mountain didn't win it still got nominated. To me if there was any conspiracy going on to keep gay people out then they wouldn't have even nominated the film.

I don't think they just decided one day to nominate African americans and then let them win. The people you mentioned won based on best performance not because of color. People win based on best performance! I do not think they sit around and say "Well, he's gay or she's a lesbian..lets make sure he or she doesn't win" I just think its a bit overboard

#8 willycubed28, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  9. No, no, they still nominate the films to keep up the appearances, to avoid criticism as Brokeback was lauded the greatest film of the year. Is not about conspiracy, is about prejudice. I'm not the only one who thinks so, look it up, there are so many other articles talking about the Oscars prejudice on giving awards to gays.

But it's okay I guess you're not into the Oscar stuff as I am. I know things for example, the influence of Harvey Weinstein on the award.

10. willycubed28

11. Let me ask you something, do you doubt that there are people who think twice before doing something for a gay person, like giving a job?

Here's an article: Why can't gay actors win Oscars? - National International LGBT Issues | Examiner.com

Okay you are into Oscar stuff. Talk about Harvey Weistein's influence on the Oscar season. Without googling it.

12. AAASAS

I'd say America is keeping gay actors closeted, or at least the bible belt.

Hollywood is a business, that caters to it's customers, the majority of which are American, now since there is a significant enough amount of Americans against homosexuality, Hollywood is weary with having actors be openly gay.

I'm sure it's full of gay people, and don't really think Hollywood is homophobic, but more just pandering to the masses, and if that means coming off as homophobic to make a buck, then so be it.

People need to understand it really is up to the majority of a population to change for there to be political and social changes.

Unfortunately the same went for black people, they hadn't starred in movies in the past few decades, prior to the 1980's, white people dominated. Because people weren't interested in a movie starring a black person for the most part. It's sad but true.

I remember reading a thing about how black people slowly were introduced onto the big screen by playing mainly negative roles, and that goes the same for gay people. The majority of gay roles in main stream movies are negative roles, it doesn't mean they're bad, but they never play anything other than a villian, comic relief, over the top stereotype...etc.

It just takes time.

13. willycubed28

14. The Disney is a LGBT supporter but they are not gays themselves. This is what I was talking about, gay actors themselves winning major categories. Anne Hathaway also supports gays but she won regardless.

---------- Post added 4th Mar 2014 at 05:57 PM ----------

That was actually a good point. Hollywood only started actually accepting gays this time.

Ian McKellen had an incredible performance in 1999, he was nominated for the Best Actor award but lost it.

15. willycubed28

16. I meant deep, deep stuff. That was what I meant. You started with your whole making assumptions stuff like I was saying that you know nothing about the Oscars, I meant the deep stuff.

I never said that hollywood is "trying to cater to most of the Americans who are against homosexuality" I talked about the Oscar's prejudice on giving best actor and best actress awards to gays. Just like their prejudice with latin-american people, they didn't give brazilian actress Fernanda Montenegro an Oscar.

17. willycubed28

You are still making an assumption that I don't know deep, deep stuff about the Oscars. I do not have to prove to you if I am deeply into the Oscars or not.

#17 willycubed28, Mar 4, 2014
  18. I'm making assumptions. So what? It's not directly affecting your social life.

19. Poe

Poe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jodie Foster has won two. While she didn't officially come out publicly until 2007 She never denied before, she just refused to discuss her sexuality, but you'd be dumber than dirt if you didn't know she was a big ole lesbo back then.

---------- Post added 4th Mar 2014 at 08:36 PM ----------

There are over 600 members who vote on the winners, they can't all be involved in a conspiracy against homosexuals, why not take homosexuality out of it and see it for what it is? The winners are people who were awarded for their talent. Besides Brokeback Mountain sucked (solely my opinion) and didn't deserve an Oscar nomination let alone a win.

#19 Poe, Mar 4, 2014
  20. Did people make speculations at the times of her wins? The years she won were 1989 and 1992.