1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For U.K. people....this looks interesting!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by beckyg, Jul 15, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You guys will have to watch and let me know what this guy finds out! :slight_smile:

John Barrowman – The Making Of Me Ep 1/3
    Thursday 24 July
    9.00-10.00pm BBC ONE
    www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone

Three celebrities go on a mission to discover the source of their defining trait, talent or characteristic. With the help of scientific testing, the latest psychology techniques, brain science and genetics, they attempt to answer a question that affects everyone – how do nature and nurture shape us?

In the first programme, John Barrowman embarks on a journey of self-discovery to find out the truth about his sexuality. John is a successful actor, musical performer, dancer, singer and TV presenter. For as long as he has been aware of his sexuality, John has been convinced that he was born gay and firmly believes that homosexuality is not a choice. But did nature really mould him or did nurture have a part to play?

John undertakes a series of tests including a DNA examination that is compared with his straight brother's, and he takes to the streets of LA to try out a theory that the origin of homosexuality is linked to events in the womb that may affect the foetus.

Throughout the programme, as well as picking up clues from psychologists and scientists, John also meets some celebrities and extraordinary people who help shed light on the origins of their traits.

2. Sam

Sam

I wish I could see it, it sounds interesting.

3. Ty

Ty Guest

will do!

4. Leigh

Leigh Guest

BIG LOVE for John Barrowman!!!!!
    Thanks for bringing this up ill defo watch! im a huge fan lol, if you couldnt tell.
    Very interested to see what they conclude.....

5. -Michael-

thanks for that....ill record it to my pc :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. pirateninja

Definitely going to tune in, thanks Becky! :thumbsup:

7. i LOVE john barrowman! I've had his cover of Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic as my ringtone for about 6 months now lol.

I'll be tuning in :grin:

8. hey I watched the programme and he found that any link to bieng gay seems to have come from the womb, that it was biological differences that make a person gay, its not the surroundings you're brought up in and you can't change it!

Apparently, if you are male and have older brothers you are more likely to be gay. Strange sounding but it has massive corellations, scientists asked straight and gay men if they had older brothers, and as the number of older brothers went up the number of gay men having them went up too.

9. pirateninja

10. Leigh

Leigh Guest

i watched it this morning.. i was laughing all the way through hes just adorable!!
    i loved the bit where they were like
    youre straight!
    im straight!!!?!?!? :eek:
    no just kidding
    :roflmao:

and they found the right result at the end... nice programme :icon_bigg

11. pirateninja

Watched it with my mom. :grin:

I'm sure I saw a certain amount of relief in her as she was watching it.

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Cool! I'm going to watch it as soon as I get my hoodlems' down for a nap! :grin:

13. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Thanks for this...I'm going to watch it on BBC iPlayer later (I love iPlayer! And John Barrowman!). It's available until 31st July for anyone in the UK wanting to catch it on iPlayer.

14. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It won't let me watch. :frowning2:

15. EM68

Same here. I got a message that the player is only available to people in the UK.

16. Leigh

Leigh Guest

^^ thats crap!!!!!!!! wish i was good at computers and could help you guys out!! have you tried youtube? i wouldnt be surprised if it turned up on there soonish...

17. pirateninja

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBFMTcqz1RQ[/YOUTUBE]

It's only an extract though, I haven't found the whole thing yet.

18. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Well I watched it yesterday on bbc iplayer and although ut was a very good program it was a little sad really.

I think it is kind of sad and very ridiculous that John Barrowman had to find a "ticket" in order to confirm/explain his sexuality. He kept saying how nervous he was that the tests were going to say he was straight, but it seems so absurd to trust or believe a test over the knowledge of your own feelings.

In a way it showed what a strange view on homosexuality so many people have. For example I can't see a straight person ever taking a test to confirm and explain why they are straight - people just accept it so why can't they just accept that some people are gay, it doesn't matter as long as they are happy and it really doesn't need any explanation other than it makes sense to those individuals!!

19. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I've just watched this and I really enjoyed it. I kind of sympathise with him for wanting science to prove that he was born gay rather than made gay or that it was a choice, so I wasn't too upset about that, just kind of sad.

I found it interesting that he interviewed an ex-gay too (is it me, or was this ex-gay person saying NOT that he had overcome the desires, but that he resisted them? As in, he compared it to resisting chocolate, or how even now that he's given up smoking when he smells smoke he's tempted - this suggests to me that this guy hasn't actually overcome the desires as ex-gays claim but is resisting them. But that's just my thought on that interview)

But I thought that it was really good, and it seemed to highlight that there isn't necessarily just one explanation for being gay, but several different ways that biology might make a person gay - but that, in the end, it all comes down to being born gay (which we knew!)

But I like John Barrowman - he brings out my straight side :grin:

20. Ty

Ty Guest

Thank you Holly :slight_smile: And thank you British Broadcasting Company!