1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Elsa be a lesbian?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Necromancer, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

There is speculation as to her sexuality, but no evidence. Given that a sequel is guaranteed almost, should Disney do it, or will it backfire?

2. Csp1993

Csp1993 Guest

I think they should do it. They had disputes when "Princess and the Frog" came out because Tiana was black. I thought that was a miraculous change from the old Disney days. We need to keep moving forward with these things so that children will be more open-minded. Of course they probably won't understand when they watch it the first time, but it's a really big deal.

3. BelleFromHell

I think they should. It could show children that women who like women can be beautiful too. :slight_smile:
    Of course, organizations like One Million Moms would have shit fits, but who cares what they think?

4. Thunderlane

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    And should Hans be straight?

5. JohnB

I think the message is already there. Kids can watch this and get the message without the parents throwing hissy fit about it. It if was mainly about a princess lesbian right out on the poster and everything, then parent will protest it, of course it would be interesting to see what Disney would do with a pretty decent movie.

I believe it should remain, because Princess and the Frog weren't about shoving it in white people's faces, like there wasn't an over sense of racism in the movie that was over come, if she was a strictly a slave who was set free and stuff, then I imagine it would've probably gotten a bad wrap about being 'preachy'. Crash was seen as 'preachy' and it was mainly about how bad racism is, instead of simply making it seem like difference of skin color wasn't an issue. Though it was a good movie and I like it, of course the only story I cared about was the Hispanic locksmith(dem feels).

I like how Frozen has the message with "Let It Go", the whole lead up to the song gave you what she was going through. There should be a subtle message, not thrown in anyone's faces. It teaches love, and love is much more powerful than hate. Though there is no shame in being out in the open and standing tall in this world, but just like religion, it shouldn't be shoved in anyone's faces.

I like Frozen for the subtle message that kids will get to appreciate of not being afraid of who they are, which also doesn't necessarily just appeal to being gay, without the parents banning it from their homes. It is good the way it is.

IMO Messages are 10 times more powerful when a person figures it out for themselves.

Disney's Frozen "Let It Go" Sequence Performed by Idina Menzel - YouTube

6. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there is a definite LGBT metaphor with the way Elsa felt the need to hide her ice powers out of fear in the same way LGBT hide in the closet. Let it Go can be seen as a powerful coming out song.

But whether or not Elsa should literally be a lesbian...Idk. It's true her character never showed much of a romantic interest in any guy, but I felt that had more to do with her never considering being in a relationship with someone because she feared she would kill them with her powers. While they could make Elsa a lesbian, I don't see the need to. I would be totally fine with it, but from a business perspective I don't think it would be smart to alienate the conservative audiences by making the most popular character of Disney's most popular current franchise a straight up lesbian.

I do hope though that one day Disney will do a lesbian princess and a gay prince. Probably not within the next 10 years, but maybe within the next 20. I think at some point it will happen.

7. Sorceress of Az

The snowman and reindeer should be gay with each other.

Disney should do a gay or transgender story.
    To me Mulan doesn't count as a transgender story because she only pretended to be a man to save her father.

Not many know this but the huge mean snowman picked up Elsa's crown after the credits and he put it on and got happy.

8. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4eLHWPMVeQ

I guess that makes the snow monster Disney's first transgender character?

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    May I take this opportunity to say Idina Menzel has one of the most marvelous voices ever heard by humans?

10. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^Yes.

However, I say nay. Not because I hate lesbians.

"A Kingdom of Isolation, and it looks like I'm the Queen"

Elsa is the first character in Disney history to embrace being alone. A large part of "Let it Go" was Elsa being alone and free. And she was free because she was alone, and she knew that. Which was partially why she even wouldn't let Anna in and only had Marshmallow as a bodyguard.

Not only this, but Elsa really "defies gravity" in nearly every sense of a Disney female character:

1. She full-out rejects her sister marrying a man she just met
    2. She's the first protagonist to become an antagonist, in a sense.
    3. She's the only Disney Royal to ever reject, let alone give up the crown.
    4. She's the only exile to accept being exiled alone. She only created Marshmallow on a whim because she wouldn't be left alone.

Above all these other things, she's the first animated Disney princess to not have a significant other. Excluding the Princess Diaries series , she's the only female royal to be single. If Frozen 2 were ever to come out (which, much as I love Frozen, I'm quite against a sequel), giving her anybody to be with might as well be an insult to how unconventional she really is (and accepts herself for). I really think she should stay single to show that you can be happy and single (because we all have friends who are happy and single).

#10 Jinkies, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  11. Calix

I adored this movie and the song 'Let It Go'. When the movie came out I was still keeping everything to myself, hearing it the first time made me emotional. Shortly after that I realised I had to stop fighting myself :slight_smile:

12. Abbra

If they can write a good story around it, why not? If they can keep the development interesting and not make the whole story her trying to woo some chick, yes. We already have enough Disney movies where the main goal is to be in a relationship.

But if the whole story is going to be "oooo she likes GIRLS", then I would prefer it if they used a different princess. The Frozen universe is interesting enough on it's own merits. It doesn't need to be a coming out story, especially since Frozen was already about coming to terms with something. I want a continuation of Frozen and an expansion of the characters, not just the same story with slightly different subject matter.

Generally, I think that they should make the first gay princess her own character in her own universe. But if they can fit in homosexuality gracefully, then I'm all for it. I just don't want this to be a "gay film" in place of a good film with gay in it.

13. Stripe101

I don't think it's a good idea. This community has gotten way more attention than it should have in recent months. Every company feels the need to prove they're gay friendly. It's really quite annoying. I think it would backfire.

14. sharkpool

i agree with abbra: it shouldn't be "THAT gay disney movie"

15. Sorceress of Az

I believe so, any way. LOL

16. ohnobro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's not an issue of whether they should, it's an issue of whether they can. There's no way Disney would approve something like that, and if it went through there'd likely be a mass boycott.

Take a look though, at Paranorman, in which one of the characters mentioned his boyfriend. Link: ParaNorman Gay Joke - YouTube

In short: Yes they should, no chance it's actually happening. If it does, I bet it will be small like in Paranorman, something children won't really get.

17. Ebro1122

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Why not? Any decent liberal Ally should be for Elsa being the first Lgbt character in a Disney animation. It would really test just how "open minded" they are.

18. Abbra

To be fair, Disney already had the lesbian couple appear in Good Luck Charlie. In Frozen alone it was already kind of implied that Oaken was part of a gay couple, as when it shows his family, only his children and a full grown man are seen. So it wouldn't necessarily cause pandemonium if it were done, because Disney has already kind of went there. It might not happen in Frozen, but with the rate at which they are progressing, Disney is going to be, without a doubt, the first kid's corporation with an openly advertised gay character. And I don't think that it's too far off at this point.

19. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I disagree. LGTB people are far from the only people who experience that sort of thing.

Personally, I actually think Elsa's experience is closer to that of a person with a mental illness.

20. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That would imply that Elsa's ice powers were something bad, and that is not true at all. There was beauty and the potential to do great things with her powers. She only had issues with it because her parents and the trolls gave her terrible advice on how to control her power.