1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Best "Let It Go" Version? (Idina vs Demi)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BornAnew, Mar 19, 2014.

?

Which version is better?

1. Idina Menzel (feat. Adele Dazeem)

38 vote(s)
    90.5%
  2. Demi Lovato

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. BornAnew

So one of the best songs of the year got two versions (as iconic Disney songs usually get)

[YOUTUBE]Disney's Frozen "Let It Go" Sequence Performed by Idina Menzel - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Demi Lovato - Let It Go [Frozen Soundtrack] (Official Video) - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

On one hand we have Idina's, or should I say Adele Dazeems version which was used in the movie. On the other hand Demi Lovato's pop-ified version! (Surprisingly Idinia's is selling much better than Demi's version...usually the pop versions of these songs do better!)

I personally like Idina's version more as it's much more epic & heartfelt!

Which one did you prefer?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Umm, Idina? I don't hesitate for a microsecond to say she's the best female singer I've ever heard. Her songs overall are good (Let It Go will be timeless only because it's Disney and the message is important) but her voice. Holy balls. She's like a gender-swapped Steve Perry with a little better refinement on the soft notes.

3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. ZombieEater

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I found Demi Lovato's version to be cringe-worthy.

5. BornAnew

She has a very distinct voice that's for sure. I didn't know much about her until recently, such a talented lady! Wish I could've seen her in Wicked.

Her oscar performance was pretty disappointing though :frowning2:

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok I must confess I'm probably biased, because I got to see Wicked at the Gershwin. :eek: It wasn't her though; her understudy was performing when I went! But I saw YT videos of her afterwards and was blown away all over again.

7. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's hilarious. Because I was also way into Journey when my Wicked obsession was to the max.

Anyway, I suppose I'll say the true reasons why I prefer Idina over Demi.

For starters, Elsa is pretty much the closest Disney is going to ever get to having Elphaba. To many people, "Let it go" holds many parallels to "Defying Gravity". When I first saw the movie, however, and as a result, the first time I'd heard Menzel's version of this (right after I had suspicions it was Idina singing), it sounded very much like Disney's mix between "Defying Gravity" and "The Wizard and I"

Idina is Elphaba.
    Idina is also Elsa.

Not just in the character she gets so into, I mean she IS them. She's got that small story of not wanting to show off her talents to her friends in fear that they'll say she's showing off, but there's another reason why I say this.

In theater, you're supposed to use your diaphragm to sing so that you get the support you need behind the notes you sing. That's not Idina's way of singing. In fact, she does what you're technically not supposed to do: Use the chest voice. All of her power comes from her chest, which doesn't always work out in her favor, singing-wise, and it's very evident in her performances both on the Tonys when she was Elphie and on the Oscars, singing as Elsa. It's been almost like this since day one:

From the Grimmerie book, Menzel also mentions that she kicked herself for that, and that was also instrumental in her getting the Broadway role of Elphaba (as opposed to someone like Eden Espinoza).

Now let's go back to "Let it go":
    Elsa has been hiding her powers in fear because her father had told her to (While the Troll king had told her to simply try and control them, suggesting that it was possible).
    In Wicked, Elphie also mentions her magical powers, as "this weird quirk I've tried to suppress or hide"

Sounds like Menzel's story, doesn't it?
    On top of this, she's not doing what she technically is supposed to and her voice cracks frequently, especially right after she's had an asthma attack (which happened just prior to the Tony performance and her final performance before reprising the Elphie role last year in London). I've taken that crack in her voice as a symbol of being imperfect, while still being very powerful. Much like both Elphie and Elsa.

So, no matter what, when she's doing fantastic and when she slips up, she fully embodies the characters she's best known for.

8. TheShyGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I actually like both versions, but I'm going to have to give the nod to Idina's version. Demi's is very nice though!

9. Abbra

Idina's version can't be topped. The song was written for a Broadway singer. I love Demi Lovato, but her voice just wasn't built for it.

10. Etak

11. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Idina's is powerful and emotional. The highlight of the film.

Demi's is the generic tween crap you see on the Disney Channel. It pales in comparison to the great 90s pop covers of Beauty and the Beast, Can You Feel the Love Tonight, and Colors of the Wind.

Though if I'm to be honest, the best version of Let it Go is from the African themed child choir.

12. Candace

I actually like the Latin American Spanish and European French versions the best. However, in the English speaking world, I like Idina Menzel's version the best.

13. Tongue Flicker

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I like Demi Lovato's version coz no one seems to cover her version. Besides her range is untouchable lol

14. Kenny207

[YOUTUBE]hjbPszSt5Pc[/YOUTUBE] < this version is the best. ( besides, the singer is so cute )

15. BornAnew

Yeah I used to looove the 90's Disney pop covers!

Beauty & the Beast had one of the best one. And When You Believe was great!

16. Audeamus

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Definitely Idina Mendel's version!! I came across Demi Lovato's version not really knowing what it was (I don't listen to her) so I listened to it think it might be based off of Idina Mendels or it was just titled the same. Then I hear it and it was Let it go! Demi Lovato's version is just so ANGRY! Let it Go is a song about redemption, what has got Demi's panties in a twist?

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. I finally got around to watching Demi's version, and sorry to whomever voted for her, but it's terrible >.< She doesn't believe what she's saying for a second. She's just being a good little monkey and singing the lines that were written.

I don't mean to say she doesn't have a good voice, because she does. But Idina performs on a level so far above her it's almost insulting to compare them.

18. kem

kem

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of either recording (too clean), but Ms. Menzel's version is superior.

19. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, much of a fanzel (as we're now called, apparently) as I am, I'm going to dispute this claim. Demi Lovato was contacted to sing it largely because she's also had a fairly dark backstory, and is going to rehab for it.

20. thesharkamander

Idina Menzel's version.
    I like Demi Lovato's voice and all; I just wish the song wasn't altered so much.