1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any goths?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by HermioneGaynger, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Are there any goths/alt/metalheads on here? I feel like I'm the only one. :icon_sad:

2. CharlieChalk

I wouldn't necessarily class myself as any of those (I wouldn't class myself as anything...) but I listen to a few bands that could fall in to those categories :slight_smile:

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Once upon a time I was a goth. I still listen to metal but I'm more of a country/bluegrass girl!

4. I do not really like labels all that much but most people seem to think I am a ''goth''.

---------- Post added 22nd Mar 2014 at 04:37 AM ----------

Will be kind though and make you feel more at home: What music do you listen to?Bauhaus?The Sisters of Mercy?Joy Division?What fiction?Mary Shelley,Bram Stoker?Obviously everyone is different and the definition of goth is flexible,it has after all evolved.

---------- Post added 22nd Mar 2014 at 04:37 AM ----------

Although there is not really a clear cut definition for goth in my opinion...

---------- Post added 22nd Mar 2014 at 04:38 AM ----------

Have you read any Edgar Allan Poe?

---------- Post added 22nd Mar 2014 at 04:45 AM ----------

Oh yes...deathrock...alien sex fiend...I tend to listen to most of the music and I do enjoy Victorian literature,however I do not seem to make much of an effort in fashion or dressing up...

5. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I'm a metalkead but I don't dress as one:slight_smile: Ok, I have one Bandshirt:grin:
    And I read some stories of Poe:slight_smile:

6. Cool.I listen to metal as well but you would probably have more extensive knowledge of bands.I quite like Opeth and Children of Bodom.There are obviously so many bands to name and the genres are extremely diverse.Which bands do you like?

7. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Too many to count but some examples would be:
    Disturbed, Nightwish, Static X, Delain, Metallica, FFDP, Airbourne, Fear Factory, Manowar:slight_smile:
    And as said much others:grin:

8. Of course.Metallica-like. Fear Factory-have listened but need to listen more intensively Nightwish-not really for me.Manowar-have not listened yet.Static X-still want to listen Disturbed-not really into it.Some other bands I have listened to(do not necessarily like all of them): Apocalyptica,Hypocrisy,Orphaned Land,Scar Symmetry,Dethklok.There are obviously others though and it all depends on taste and definition of what constitutes as metal.

9. wolfxinxchains

I consider myself gothic emo. or goth-emo (but my parents REFUSE to let me dress it) I like some goth(Evanescance and Suicide Commando for example) and some screamo/emo/metal bands like The Used, Disturbed, Three Days Grace, Black Veil Brides, Papa Roach, Panic! At The Disco, My Chemical Romance, bands like that

---------- Post added 22nd Mar 2014 at 09:42 AM ----------

Also. Goth has many different subtypes!

10. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

MCR is cool:grin:

11. BelleFromHell

I used to dye my hair black and people have called me goth before, so I guess I kinda am.
    I don't wear very gothic clothes, but that's mainly because my mom still picks out most of my clothes for me. :tears:
    I look kinda hipster-ish too, so I guess you could say I'm a hipster-goth.

I LOVE metal music, and as for Poe...
    I was named after one of his poems, so I have read his stuff quite a few times. :icon_bigg

---------- Post added 22nd Mar 2014 at 07:10 AM ----------

Linkin Park, Incubus, Evanescence, Three Days Grace, KoRn, Nirvana, Metallica, etc..

#11 BelleFromHell, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  12. Why all these categories of goth?I do know about them:geeky goth,hippy goth,emo goth,romantic goth,deathrocker,trad goth,etc etc and I probably do ''fit'' into a few.I find it easier to just call yourself ''goth'' in the end though if a person feels the need.I feel the categories are more there as a kind of private joke,creating a detached sense of ''belonging'' so to speak.In my opinion ''goths'' are individuals who appreciate darkness more than most and can see the beauty in darkness as well as being in touch with their dark side.Its something that comes from inside.Who cares how much black the person wears(I love black and only wear it because I want to not as some fashion statement or too fit into the ''goth'' category),There are all these arguments online ''Manson is not goth'' but I find it avoids the ultimately futile subjective experience of the question ''what is goth''.This is all my subjective opinion and does not have to be taken seriously and is not meant as an attack by the way.

---------- Post added 22nd Mar 2014 at 07:19 AM ----------

Apologies futile question.I find that it is ultimately up to the person though,so if they feel they fit into a category that is also fine.

13. I'm into heavier music, but like bauhaus. I'm more into bands like Cradle Of Filth, Children Of Bodom, Amon Amarth, Nightwish, Motionless In White, Whitechapel, Deathstars, Rammstein, Oomph! etc.

So I'm kind of a metalhead, but my personality is not very sterotypically metalhead, nor is my fashion sense. I lean closer to the label of goth, but don't personally label myself as anything.

14. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

I once labeled myself "goth".. But, I was very lost at that time............... I don't like labels that much to be honest but have to use them online to make things easier to explain.

15. Thats fine!Whether you label yourself/ do not label yourself its all cool.Some people even consider metalhead as a subcategory of goth...there are no rules.I listen to metal as well,although maybe not as much as the metalheads on here(if that label is necessary).Besides there is no rule that says ''goths may not listen to metal'' hehe.I listen to Chidren of Bodom as well btw.You should try out Opeth.They have an album ''Deliverance'' pretty cool,if you do not already know about it.There's some awesome tracks on there.If you want listen to these two tracks: ''Master's Apprentices'' and ''By the pain I see in others''.Pretty cool.Other albums are not too bad either.Those two songs are great though.

---------- Post added 22nd Mar 2014 at 09:04 AM ----------

Paper Cat-agreed.Labels are good for explaining.I think we tend to get caught up in them too easily.And yeah,often when we are lost.I suppose we are ''online goths'' hehehe

---------- Post added 22nd Mar 2014 at 09:12 AM ----------

Correction we - in the general sense

16. setnyx

i don't dress as stereotypical goth but i have alot of the characteristics of goth. i like movies ~ books ~ music ~ clothing associated with goth. i guess i'm goth but i'm not out of the coffin, so to speak. way too old. lol

17. PaulPumpkin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I always wanted to meet a goth. I`m not a goth but i like the colour black a lot.