1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Broadway Play - Mothers and Sons

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RainbowMan, Mar 22, 2014.

1. RainbowMan

I just saw a new play on Broadway last night called Mothers and Sons, which is highly relevant. Interestingly, it played in the same theater (the Golden) as the recent revival of "The Normal Heart", and both have to do with AIDS in some way.

It's a very interesting and poignant look at the generational differences with regards to attitudes towards homosexuality. It's at times humorous, and at times will make you cry.

In this play, Cal is paid an unexpected visit by the mother (Katherine, played by Tyne Daly) of his late partner, Andre, who died of complications of HIV almost 20 years ago. Cal has since married and started a family with his husband, Will, and their son, Bud (6 years old).

Katherine is stuck about 20 years in the past with regards to homosexuality, and in the opening scene of the play, when Cal says he has a husband, the interaction goes something like this:

"How easily that word rolls off your tongue - husband"
    "It wasn't always like that - the first few times it was sort of hard. Will said it was internalized homophobia"
    "I'll pretend I know what that means"
    "Well, it's when we've been socialized to believe that we're not worthy of having our commitment to each other acknowledged, and start to believe it"
    "I'll still pretend to know what that means"

One of the favorite moments that was hilarious was when Katherine was talking about when Andre moved to NYC, and Cal matter-of-factly said that it wasn't easy for an 18 year old gay man in the family that he came from to be himself, so he had to leave. Katherine then said "well, he wasn't gay before he moved to New York City!" which had the audience erupting in laughter.

Later in the play, there's discussion about Andre's live, what might have been, and how resentful Katherine is that Cal has found someone else which is very heartbreaking.

All in all, a highly recommended play if you're in NYC or traveling through - I haven't done it justice here! Opening night is Monday 3/24, so look for more professional reviews then :grin: