1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Difference Between Copying A Style And Adapting It

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ZenMusic, Mar 23, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

So Zen is my stage name, and it's a musical persona of sorts. He's quite futuristic, very poetic, and has a devil may care attitude, only slightly different from me. So I was thinking of Music Video Outfits, and all that comes to mind is a variety of facepaint and a bodysuit. I feel like I am stealing something someone worked hard on and I wouldn't want to do that. So can anyone tell the difference?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Copying - any instance where something is deliberately taken AS IS and used again.

Adapting - any instance where something is deliberately taken, altered in some fashion and used again.

So let's take your 'facepaint and bodysuit' idea.

Let's say you look around for facepaints and you decide you really like what KISS do with facepaint and you take it upon yourself to paint your face up like Gene Simmons. Dude, you just copied the HELL out of Gene Simmons.

Now let's say instead of that you look at Gene Simmons and think to yourself "I like how it covers the eyes, and I like the spikes. I like the colour contrast (white on black).

Then your thought process goes like this: Spikes? Triangles have spikes. Covers some of my eyes? Check! Contrasting colours? Sure, black and red! You black your face out and paint a red triangle in the middle, covering half your eyes with the point in the middle of your forehead. ADAPTATION.

I mean technically that might be considered as 'something new' but I think you'd struggle to find anything involving facepaint that wasn't done either during the 80's or by black metal groups.

3. Yosia

Have you ever thought of something more visual kei like? As you have no care attitude then i think something like that would work, plus visual kei music will make people like me melt and fall in love XD

4. ZenMusic

I'll try it, but I mainly would work in R&B and Electronica.

5. Cool!Electronica!Tell me more!

6. ZenMusic

The most Electronica I really listen to is Owl City, I hope I can find another singer/band I have the same connection with as I do Owl City.