1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"God is not dead" movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by dano218, Mar 23, 2014.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Was wondering if anyone saw this movie and what they thought of it.

I thought it was a decent movie with a good christian message for believers and non believers.

2. Simple Thoughts

God Is not Dead? Is that the one about the college professor who's atheist and the christian student?

3. Beware Of You

Its insane.

No College professor would act like that in any real college, pretty sure they are expected to respect other's beliefs.

It makes atheists look bad, it would be like having one of the WBC as the only Christian in the movie.

4. Simple Thoughts

So it is the one I thought it was.

5. tallygirl1128

I just got back home after watching it. I thought it had an amazing message and it reaffirmed my belief in God. :slight_smile:

6. Simple Thoughts

I saw the trailer and went BLEH

Just from the trailer alone you can tell it puts Atheism under a negative lense.

7. BelleFromHell

I agree. I could hardly get through the whole tralier.
    If it was a movie that didn't make secular people look like bigots, I'd consider watching it, but it looks pretty bad to me.

8. Simple Thoughts

Haha oh well, that's the way some Christian movies go.

At least it isn't the one that stole the story of what happened to an 'atheist club' and made it about a 'christian club' instead.

9. Beware Of You

It makes Christians look bad, this was a movie made my Christians and the way they made that professor just makes them look like a bigot

10. Simple Thoughts

Yeah it happens.

11. tallygirl1128

I don't think it was their intention to make atheists look bad. The point of the movie was show the story of a number of people that didn't have faith and how one boy's argument helped them see differently. It was about accepting God, not making those that don't believe look bad. Don't knock it before you try it. I actually saw the movie and it didn't make me hate atheists. Just my two cents.

12. Beware Of You

Yes but they executed it horribly. That professor character there is NO way he would be allowed to act like that in a college. If a professor stormed into a lecture and told every student they won't tolerate their beliefs then they will be kicked out in no time.

13. tallygirl1128

Sure, they could have done it a little differently but that is hardly the point of the movie. The professor was a known atheist and was expressing his opinion. Yes it was exaggerated but kicking him out would say that he couldn't express his religious opinion. I just think you guys are looking at one aspect of the movie not the whole picture. I for one am glad to see Christians in the right light. We have gotten so much crap because of the WBC who have given Christians a bad name.

14. Simple Thoughts

If you want to see christians in the right light watch

"Letters to God" that movie is amazing.

15. tallygirl1128

I have see it. I'll be the first to admit that I cried at that movie. It was a really good movie.

16. Simple Thoughts

I'm not Christian and I admire the heck out of that movie. Brilliantly done.

17. Allecto

Everything I've heard about this movie makes it sound like an offensively, poorly thought-out trainwreck. I kind of want to see it just to see how awful it is.

Not only does it offend me as an atheist, it offends me as someone who finds religion interesting. It's everything terrible about American evangelical Christianity in one ninety minute package.

18. TheSeeker

You cannot kill what never lived... What gets me about some of (well, most of) these absurd Christian vs. Atheist films is how much some of the christians who watch it fail to see why anyone could dislike it! After all, the movie ends on a happy note: people seeing things from a CHRISTIAN perspective. They're saved! Best case scenario! Everybody wins!

Utter crap. How about those of us who have no desire whatsoever to be "saved", because we don't need saving?! It's exhausting, offensive, and bothersome, and I am thrilled that this did not get a wide release.

I am from a liberal state out west, but I am currently living in the deep South. Which is infuriating on so many levels... If anyone asks me whether I have a personal relationship with Jesus, I have the following story for them:

"Yeah, me and JC used to hang out a lot when I was a kid, we were real close and I thought he was pretty cute. But after awhile Jesus told me that his Dad had said we couldn't play-together anymore because his Daddy said I was a nasty-queer and that I creeped him out. He scared me pretty bad because apparently his Dad had killed a bunch of people because of that when he was younger. I hugged him and we parted on good terms. Sometimes I get a Christmas card from him every once an awhile, but I haven't seen him since.

So no, I do not have a personal relationship with Jesus, because his Dad is a homophobic bigot."

-The Seeker

19. Simple Thoughts

lol

Well played. ^.^

20. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

I hated it