1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Animation Appreciation

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by twospiritlycan, Mar 28, 2014.

1. What do you think is your most favorite animated shows, movies, youtube videos, etc.? What is it that you appreciate about the art of animation? Would you prefer to watch 2D or 3D or both?

2. Paisley

I love the fact that you can convey so much more via animation than you can through live action. Like ya, Smaug is cool and all, but you cant get the same feel like say, Toothless in "live action" cgi.

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Did someone say, animation?

I admit it. Huge fucking animation geek. Man, like if I knew how to draw I'd totally be in there at a draft table, sketching in my key poses and filling in my charts. Childhood dream to be just like the nine old men, or Richard Williams.

*le sigh* You can't be a good animation director without knowing how to animate and to animate, you've gotta know how to draw. Never got a handle on it.

But yeah. Huge fan of everything. The old '30s/'40s theatrical (like the Fleischer brothers, Tex Avery, early Disney), feature films. Bigger on traditional but if the film's good, not opposed to computer animation.

I think the key to good animation's that while you're watching, you're able to forget it's animated. And it's not so much that the film is seamless or 'realistic' but that you're able to relate to the characters/story in such a way that you're able to 'participate' within. And it's the same trait any good film should have. An animator isn't merely an artist but an actor as well and a skilled animator can make their characters come to life. When you go into work as an animator, you don't ask how to draw Bambi but how to get Bambi to 'act'.

...so, yeah.

4. Beetle

I love animation...but then again I'm an animator haha. It's my whole life.
    I love both 2D and 3D. It makes me sad when people will complain about how everything is 3D now and that it "sucks" compared to traditional. It's not about the medium, it's the story being told. Tons of work still goes into 3D and you need to know how to animate traditionally to be a good 3D animator.
    I'm super excited for How to Train Your Dragon 2!

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly don't get the 2D vs 3D crap. It's yet another comparison of apples and oranges. Totally different methods of totally different art styles.

Do I wish there were more 2D nowadays? Yes.
    Do I wish 3D went down? No.

They both, as has been said, cover so much more than you can do in a live studio or even on location. You can get creative with it, and you can make what has never existed before. That's one of the great things I love about animation. You can make a dog a table. Or you can make a huge ice castle within the span of 10 seconds. If you know how to do it, it's very inexpensive and can get you quite a good rep.

Honestly, I think the industry itself is way underrated. Here are people still working day after day, long hours with nearly no break alone in a room doing the most tedious things ever, and they get treated like shit. I'm sure everyone's at least heard of the Life of Pi situation.

But, yeah. Been into animation for awhile and I would be in it if I wasn't pursuing post-production.

6. Yosia

In all honesty, i prefer animated films and anime more than anything else~ i just think there is more possibility with them and they are more fun! ^.^

7. ThePhoenix

My favorite animation I can't fathom choosing out of all of them. I love animation and how far its come I am defiantly a big fan.

8. Abbra

I actually spent a large part of my life wanting to be an animator. I never really figured out the tricks to make it not a headache, so I kind of gave up. I never gave up my love for drawing though, and if I get the opportunity to learn I'll totally jump on it.

I do generally prefer 2D animation. Most notably, I love early anime style. It was the era before anime as we know it. Everything was just more polished classic Disney, which is another drawing style I absolutely adore. Jhonen Vasquez also has some very interesting work due to his ability to mix cute and scary so flawlessly.

That being said, there is a place for 3D. I don't hate it, it's just a shame that not very many movies are being made with 2D due to 3D being cheaper. There is some beautiful work that came come from 3D, but I just wish that we had a little more variety. Though 2D still has TV, so I can't complain too much.

9. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just recently got into the 2D Disney films, all that princess stuff. I didn't care much for it as a child and now I'm in love. It does break my heart that they only make 3D now. I want more Disney classics like that! Don't worry, I don't hate on 3D, I like them too. But it's that they act as if it's the ultimate animation and 2D is worthless now.
    Not everyone, but you see what I mean.
    It just makes me so sad, I adore the 2D ones. <333333333333

That's all, I don't have any deep knowledge of animating. :slight_smile:

10. Beetle

Animation is super tedious. I'm working on a film that's only 1 minute long and it's taken me 8 months to finish. From storyboards to layouts to painting to animation to clean up to coloring the animation...sdfghmfds
    I worked in TV animation and wasn't treated badly, but I guess it depends on the studio. Yes, a lot of the time you have to get stuff done due to deadlines and work overtime with no extra pay. It's sad.

11. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I once saw this really cool short film... I think it was called Day and Night. It was about these two creature-things, one representing day and one representing night. The creatures had corresponding scenes of night and day inside them (vague description but you'll know what I mean if you see it) but the cool part was that the scenes were done in 3D and the creatures themselves were done in 2D. It's a really cool effect.

I like 3D when it adds to the movie instead of just being a distraction. It really depends on the story and how it's used in relation to it.