1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I Met Your Mother Series Finale Discussion *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BornAnew, Mar 31, 2014.

1. BornAnew

So the last ever episode of How I Met Your Mother aired and WTF!!!!

Like seriously...we sat through 9 seasons for the mother to DIE & Ted to end up with Robin

*sigh*

Words can't even express my disappointment right now...

2. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I actually thought it was the greatest season finale I've ever seen

3. pancake111

I agree with Some Dude. It was sentimental and surprising and genuine all at the same time. I was not disappointed at all. The ending with Ted and Robin kinda surprised me. Especially when the kids said the whole story has been him saying "he has the hots for aunt Robin"

4. Thunderlane

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It was a huge disapoitment.

I'm fine with Barney and Robin's divorce but why the hell throwing out Barney's character development through nine seasoins like yesterday's trash and making him a womanizer again! :bang: Then he knocked a girl offscreen for no fucking reason.
    Then the children ship Ted with Robin for no fucking reason and we are supposed to believe that they are still in love making the mother irelevant. :bang: :bang:

5. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Barney did change eventually after he had his daughter. He walks up to two hit women at the bar and tells them to put on more clothes then go home and call their parents.

No reason? The entire story for nine seasons has been about how Ted is in love with Robin. The Mother was only a small part of the show, only appearing in the weekend of Barney's wedding. She was very important in Ted's life, but the story is still about Ted and Robin not Ted and her.

We are supposed to believe that they still love eachother? It's been extremely evident that they have loved eachother throughout the entire series

6. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The costume party in the episode?

7. Daydream Harp

From the description of it, I can't help but feel this might be some sort of major April Fool's joke and that the real show finale will air later on.

8. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Funny... I'd say the series was about Ted finally outgrowing his obsession with Robin and becoming open to letting love happen, instead of trying to desperately hunt for it. And then, when he finally is in that place of being truly open for it, he runs into the woman he was destined to be with.

Similarly, Barney really was presented as finally outgrowing his immature ways and learning how commitment was not a bad thing!

Also, I was skeptical for the longest time about the mother just rushing on stage at the last moment, but somehow they really made it work. I really was thinking "you know, this is exactly the right one for Ted!"

So... I'm not too happy about the finale essentially telling me "You were wrong! Ted totally should have kept focusing on Robin, and all that awesome acting NPH did to show you Barney could change was all just a red herring. Oh, he did change, but let's deal with that offscreen! And that awesome Mother you only saw a bit of but fell totally in love with? Died offscreen too!"
    So my initial reaction was: "Oh, date Robin all you want, Ted! Have a happy divorce later!"

And that is probably a kneejerk reaction. I'm fairly sure that in retrospect, I'll look back on it as a great show, with an acceptable ending (even if Id have done it differently).
    But it really does feel like they filmed the ideal ending for a show that was going to run 3 or 4 seasons, then extended it for 9 with lots more character development than originally planned... and then just slapped on the original ending because the kids had become to old to reshoot the original ending.

9. Higs

I personally liked the ending, I don't get with people who want characters to have perfectly easy decisions, this is black and that is white, this is good and this is evil. Life isn't perfect and they portrayed it quite good in my opinion..

I do wonder how they did the ending with kids though, did they really film that all these years ago?

10. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup! At the ending of S1, with ratings being good, they decided that it could go on for a couple of seasons with mainly stock shots of the kids in their sofa in between scenes, but that the kids would have aged too much before they could shoot an ending.

So it was shot behind closed doors at the start of S2, and the tape went into a safe, to be used at the series end. Which is, as it turns out, nearly a decade after filming!

Even if I disagree with the ending, I can't help but be awed by such foresight!

11. Illus1

I didn't even read all the post just the title, don't want any spoilers but ehm the series finale is like the end of an era it's like our generation's Friends, whyyy lol I stopped watching because of time constraints but I remember when it started watched it all through high school, just another reminder of how time passes I mean 2005 seems so close yet it's almost a decade ago :O #getting old. Who remembers other shows of that time like the OC etc, oh can u imagine what would happen if Grey's Anatomy ends?!

12. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Again, I loved the finale. I thought it wrapped everything up perfectly. I think the reason that so many people hated it wa because it wasnt another sitcom happy ending where everything goes perfectly and they all live happily ever after. Everyone goes through tough times during the finale. Marshall is again stuck being a lawyer, a job that he hates, Barney and Robin can't handle their marriage because she travels so much so they get divorced, Barney returns to his old ways, Robin leaves the group, and the Mother died. While all this happened, they all still ended in a good note, Marshall got a job as a judge then ran for state Supreme Court, Barney has a daughter and finally changes his ways for good, and Ter finally goes after Robin, the woman who he has loved since the day he met her 25 years ago.

My only complaint is that I wish more would've happened with Lily

13. timo

I just watched the finale and now I'm nearly crying. Ted at Robin's door made me go all "awwwwh". Even though it's kinda obvious I did not see this ending coming.

I need to digest it but I can't say I'm disappointed.

14. BornAnew

No that will be the most sad day :frowning2: It can never end!

Ted ending up with Robin is definitely not a good portrayal of "life" though. It is quite possibly the most unrealistic thing after the 9 years of character development which kinda showed Robin was never into him & Ted had to let go of Robin to find love. RobinxBarney divorced...fine realistic....Mum dies...fine. But then the last 3 minutes ruined any sense of realism they were going for.

If we wanted realistic we could've seen Robin finding happiness with someone else.

Robin's character was completely destroyed & in my opinion a bad social message was sent out to viewers. She was shown as a career orientated woman...but then all we saw was her unhappy & pining after Ted in that episode. In fact every scene we saw Robin in within the future made it seem like she was regretting being career driven. This hit home to me when she said "The guy I should've ended up with is with the mother of his child".

To me it felt like the show was saying a woman going after her career can only be happy when she finds this family orientated man for herself. It just felt off.

I think people hated it the most due to Ted & Robin getting together. Especially as a few seasons had been dedicated to them being over each other to get ready for love with others. It just feels like a complete waste of time.

Honestly I'd be okay with the Mother being dead...I've now come to accept that wouldn't have been as abhorrent as it felt when I first saw the episode.

The huge issue TedxRobin...which has retconned so much that has happened in the show.

The only thing I could agree with is how it makes sense now why Robin was mostly the focal point of the story!

My other huge issue is the lack of emotional punch the mothers death was given in the episode. It should've been a bigger deal.

I would've loved a scene where the mother is near her last breaths and said something like this to Ted, "I found another great love after my first one died, so you shouldn't live in the past forever and find someon else on day!" ...something like that could've made tedxrobin easier to digest at the end.

#14 BornAnew, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  15. Higs

I prefer slightly more realistic endings than the fairytale ones... and so many people saying the show wasted their time, I don't get it, you had years of entertainment and because it didn't end in a cheesy romantic way you imagined it wasted your time now?

Also the only thing we see is Ted trying something again, we don't know if they actually end up together. It's still kind of an open ending - seeing how much they changed in last episode you can but wonder, how much could change if they did 1 more.

#15 Higs, Apr 1, 2014
  16. BornAnew

Ted showing Robin the blue french horn & it ending on a similar scene to the first episode was actually the most cheesiest way they could've ended it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ... that felt more out of a fairytale to be frank.

For me personally the show stopped being great around season 5...but I've kept holding on to see this Mother & for a satisfactory payoff...so this is why it's felt like a waste of time to me. Evidently other fans didn't either which is why there is outrage all over the internet. The other reason why it ruins the show for me is because watching reruns won't be fun when you know all the development being done for TedxRobin's relationship is retconned in the finale.

Fair enough it is left open to the imagination in terms of if they work out or not.

17. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    While they were trying get over each other, it was pretty evident that they still loved each other the entire time. By the end of nine seasons, Ted went all over the place to find robins locket and robin says that she wished she was marrying him on his wedding day. As much as they tried to get over each other, they couldn't

Also her being a career oriented woman, how does that mean she doesn't deserve happiness? She has been where she wanted to be in her career for a while now and she doesn't want to spend the rest of her life alone. Just because she's career oriented doesn't mean she has to be alone

18. Higs

Well last 2 seasons were fan service. There's way too many references to the past seasons, Victoria (?) or the blue horn... that's what I see the blue horn as, a service for the fans. It was abit cheesy but it was the right thing to do.

When he dropped the phone at the kids scene and said something like I can do better than call, was there any single fan who didn't immediately knew he is going to her place with the blue horn? It was just so satisfactory.

#18 Higs, Apr 1, 2014
  19. BornAnew

It definitely wasn't evident to me I'm afraid. The only hint was yeah Robin saying to Ted on the day of her marriage to Barney, "I want to marry the guy who'd steal the French Horn for me". But that was resolved when the whole "love isn't about who's perfect for you, it's about who you love"...and she loved Barney...so she went ahead with it. This was all after Ted had finally let go (quite literally with her flying away) of Robin a few episodes before that. That episode was a "finally Ted has let go of her" moment. Ted x Robin seemed done for good...

I'm not saying she deserves to be alone or doesn't deserve happiness. It was just sad & insulting to see her character pining after Ted who's gotten married and having a family life. As Robin's character had never really wanted those things. To me it's seemed like Robin has always wanted Ted whenever he seemed "taken" (when he was with Victoria before, after he'd clearly let go of her near the wedding etc.)...so it was just a repeat of that.

What I wanted to see was a happy & satisfied Robin with the path she had chosen...and very little of that was shown. And no that doesn't mean she had to be single too...she could've found someone else too who would accept her for wanting a job traveling around the world. I really feel like her character has been done a huge disservice (not just here but throughout the last few seasons). Let's not even get started about Barney... seeing him writing "The Playbook II" after the incredible episode in which they put to rest the old playbook was painful!

Yeah it was satisfying in itself as an isolated event. I knew he was gonna get that Blue Horn & go to her. I was just saying that what the show did was essentially a fairytale ending...possibly moreso than one in which the mother had survived.

#19 BornAnew, Apr 1, 2014
  20. microwave meals

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Tbh, I didn't watch the whole series. I did know enough though going into the last season, so it was interesting to see it unfold. I didn't agree with making the whole season lead up to the wedding to have it unravel the very next episode. And I feel like they introduced a lot of unnecessary things (like Lily being pregnant again, Marshall running for Supreme Court), but that's probably me just being nitpicky.

Overall though, I felt there were a sufficient amount of twists to make it a good finale. I can't say I predicted any of it to happen, so it was a nice surprise in comparison to the other finales I've seen in my life.