1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movies/Shows to ease homophobic parents?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by sfw, Apr 3, 2014.

1. sfw

sfw

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Are there any good movies or shows that can very gently introduce/assist/desensitise homophobic parents to accepting they have a gay child?

In Australia, there is a talk show on TV called "Q&A" which sometimes explores LGBT topics - but these discussions seem a little on the harsh side, especially for sceptical homophobic parents.

And NO - getting them to watch a pride parade is completely out of the question and simply reinforces their belief that homosexuality is evil! :evil: (*ducks flame war!*)

I'm open to suggestions :slight_smile:

2. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know many gay movies. But there is sort of an gay thing in v for vendetta. Because the movie isn't about gay people you could disguise your real purpose.

3. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    depends , if they're religious, Prayers for Bobby is a good one, you could say you want to watch it out of curiosity

4. BelleFromHell

5. sfw

sfw

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for all the suggestions :slight_smile:

v for vendetta sounds like a good one to start with... something that's a little subtle. Prayers for Bobby might be a little too involved judging from what i've read on wikipedia. Having said that, I'll have to watch it myself and find out.

I've bookmarked the homosexuality documentary on youtube and will check it out later.

If there are any more movies/shows, I'm all ears! :wave:

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I still have to watch this based on how many accolades it gets here and everywhere.

On a shallower front, "Mulligans," via the dad played by Dan Payne, breaks any stereotypes of a gay man. Well, maybe that mint green metallic Porsche of his raised some questions. LOL. It wasn't exactly the most masculine of colors for an exotic car.

7. Haddz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If they like comedy, But I'm a Cheerleader is pretty good.

8. Kiss Da Girl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Okay out of the ones named above
    I would go with Prayers for Bobby . - My parents are christen homophobes and they watched it with me . My dad actually kinda lightened up on some of the homophobic things he says after watching this . I think for homophobic parents this can change their perspective a bit.

But I'm a cheerleader is Very Very funny . Its amazing , and even if your parents don't watch it you should.

As for t.v series orange is the new black is very harsh with some of the things in the show , but it gives you an eye opener and its something that can be like hey lesbians are not bad people . They are actually normal people just like us. My dad watches this show with me now.

9. thrnvlpidj

Latter Days might be good for Christian homophobes but a few scenes might be too explicit.

Toast - the main character is gay but it's not the focus of the story

Shelter - Young man comes to terms with being gay while caring for his father and nephew

A Home at the End of the World

Beautiful Thing

Get Real

History Boys

C.R.A.Z.Y.

Milk

50 Ways To Say Fabulous

10. BornAnew

I'll give another vote for "Prayer's for Bobby"

11. anaisninja

Six Feet Under was an American dramedy that dealt with this issue sensitively, I think. Plus Rachel Griffiths is in it! Although she has an American accent. :slight_smile: If your parents enjoy magical realism, they will love SFU.

12. sayaka

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not a show or a movie, but a huge instrumental part in helping my mom accept me, I think, had a lot to do with her gradual love for Ellen D's talk show over the last few years. It really opened her eyes and made it so much easier when I came out, I think.

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Get Real is a pretty good one. I'd still go with Prayers For Bobby because it is a masterpiece. :slight_smile:

14. sfw

sfw

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow! That's a huge list of options - thanks for everyone's input :slight_smile: It'll take me a bit of time to go through it all and select the ones that my parents would be receptive to...

15. 741852963

Second that one.

Or, on a more abstract level try the X-Men films? Key theme: An oppressed minority who the masses are fearful of and looking to cure. The third film in particular with the father refusing to accept Angel, because he "won't have a mutant son".

It would greatly surprise me if the original writers didn't have homosexuality in mind as a key theme.

16. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm almost done watching it, and I remember it being mentioned here a few years ago:

It's a documentary called "For The Bible Tells Me So" and I like it for quite a few reasons. This is the kind of stuff we deal with every day, it's what I deal with every day I go out with my rainbow lapel pin. It's easy to know when I'm getting certain looks, because without fail, when I look down after I get those looks, it's showing. It doesn't happen when the lanyard is backwards, and the silver side of my pins are what people see. It also has the WBC, but unlike other documentaries I've seen, they play a very minor role in this, and only are a player to a certain side. And that's really what I see them as, not the main, worst anti-gay group. Because there are people who do much worse than just stand out there with pretty signs (yes, they are quite pretty from an aesthetic point of view).

Also, though my family looks like it's moving churches, I'm still asked back to attend church. I think it may have to do with a misunderstanding of my being athiest and what that actually means. It's a similar situation, though: I'm athiest, so my dad feels like he needs to "correct" my morality because I don't believe I've been presented with enough evidence to believe in a diety.

17. twizt

18. Anyapitch

I think it might be easy for parents to identify with older characters who feature in the films "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" and "The Beginners" - both great films where the gay characters are loveable and not central to the story, expressing regrets over a life lived in the closet under the yoke of homophobic pressures of decades past

19. Candace

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even though I didn't think "Brokeback Mountain" was exactly brilliant, its two characters were very average guys. There were still jokes you would hear straight people make about this movie when it was in the theaters. However, in the movie, it ends with Jack's parents sort of understanding why Jack had come to their house to visit them and see Jack's room. I think Jack's parents understood, even though we don't know what they felt. So, for parents who have LGBT offspring, this movie could work. For straight couples whose children are all straight, I don't think this movie would drive any points home. They would continue to hold whatever viewpoints they had before seeing it.