1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Border Security: Australia's Frontline/Nothing to Declare

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by anthonythegamer, Apr 7, 2014.

1. To Australians, British, rest of the Europeans, and a handful of Americans, how do you guys feel about the show?

I've heard that this show is controversial because it shows how immigration officers deal with undocumented immigrants. Personally, I find it very interesting to watch. This show actually prepared me for what will happen if I made false declaration on the declaration card so now, I tick yes on almost all the boxes, no matter what I bring and what country I go to.

I know that there is a Canadian version and a British version of the show so what do you guys think about watching it? I've heard that the U.S aired our version of the show, but it got extremely negative ratings.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the border control ones, just because it amuses me to watch all the people coming in saying 'no we've got nothing' only to have all their luggage thrown out because all they bought were plants and vegetables...

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It annoys me a lot, not only because of the implications given Australia's immigration policies, but because it ignores that it's so easy to smuggle stuff in. I've (accidentally) brought illegal goods from Sweden as well as lying about my contact with fresh water to avoid quarantine, and my mother's friend somehow managed to smuggle* eight kilos of Polish meats and vegetables into the country without a hitch.

*In a suitcase specifically for it, which went along as all suitcases do, and was undeclared, so illegal but hardly hidden

They're nothing as strict as they're supposed to be, or at least they aren't to certain people.

#3 Aussie792, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have noticed on those shows that if you look even remotely Asian, Australian border force WILL stop you...

5. I've also noticed that those passengers are the most short-tempered people in the world. When they're from the U.S and they f*ck up like getting arrested, I'll be like, "Nice job representing our country while the world hates us enough..."

6. Butterfly72

I love that programme. Like watching the smugglers getting caught.

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have watched it and the UK and New Zealand versions too and kind of enjoy it, but I'm sure Aussie is right about the reality being much different. Like all tv programming, there is plenty you don't see that ends up on the cutting room floor.

The security controls for the last return flight I made into the UK were lax in the extreme. Everyone was nodded through without so much as a glance at passports.

8. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

It's a nice program :slight_smile: