1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who watches the simpsons?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by hawkeye, May 10, 2005.

1. hawkeye

I just watched a simpson's episode (the new one from last sunday) where homer predicts the apocolyps (no idea how to spell it, but its the end of the world for those of you who speak english second hand). in the show, the watch a movie that shows the end of the world, and these people are all saying stuff like " i wish i had gone to church" and "i thought all religions were evil"(that one coming from a buddist monk), " I wish i hadn't trusted solely in science and technology", and finaly "I wish i hadn't decided to be gay". Notice the word choice. decided. I'm stuck between whether the writers ment that to mock the church and society, or if they ment it to be in context for the movie they were watching in the show.(homer watching the movie, for those i've only been able to confuse).

I would believe its a mocking of the church and society for the purpose of the movie, rather than the writers just not understanding, but it's always fun to figure what others (as in the writers) may think.

2. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's the Simpsons, they're totally poking fun at the church. They're very good that way.

I really like the Simpsons but I've never watched it regularly. One of my favourite episodes is the gay antique dealer guy one where Bart and Homer end up in an ironworks-turned-gay club. But then I appreciate that because of my obscure gay literati background.

3. goratrix

I watch every time I can. Still, I like Futurama better (sorry, that's the nerd coming out!!)

4. Jas

Jas

I havent seen that ep yet cos over here in Aus we r a lil behind but like goatrix sed im sure they r poking fun at the church.

The simpsons is awesome. One of my favourite shows. My friends and I being the immature people that we are love to quote it and reference it all the time and mock those who have no idea what we r talking about lol.

5. hawkeye

i dont really get to watch the simpsons too much, but it does make sence that they are poking fun; comedy writers are usualy smart and open.

6. d00d

I more appropriate question may be, Who doesn't? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

That damn show has been a part of my childhood and upbringing, and a good portion of my daily colloquial language even comes from it! Good times! Although I must say this season has been less than stellar.

7. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

I watch every time I can. too

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Me! We don't watch any TV, and don't have a TV license. We don't miss it at all, as we always have plenty of other things to do.

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't watch it. I've seen episodes and think it's quite funny at times but I don't watch it regularly.

You need a "license" for TV in the UK? That's whack!

10. lost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, and under the new proposed charter you would have to get a TV license if you had a PC: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/03/pc_tax/ because the BBC are moving on with the times and realise that generally more people have PCs than TVs (certainly the case in our house - 5 PCs and 2 TVs).

Back on topic... I do watch the simpsons, but as I am stuck with terrestrial tv and Channel 4 have just started repeating season 6 *again*, I am not at the moment.

11. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is so weird... so it's to finance the BBC? We just have generic taxes here to fund the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp.)--nothing specific that we pay directly on TVs or PCs or that goes directly to the CBC. Although now that I think of it, making sure a particular chunk of change went directly to the CBC doesn't sound like that bad an idea, although having to "license" one's TV or PC seems wrong. I'd be okay with a one-off fee... ongoing stuff bothers moi. Actually, what they could do is make the cable provider and/or ISPs collect fees from your monthly fees. Hmmn...

12. Nick8875

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love the simpsons..started collecting them and family guy on tv. Alot of highschool even use the simpson episodes in sociology class. Mine did. Used seinfeld too.

13. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

I have an opinion but you won't like it.

The Simpson, Futurama, Family Guy and all the shows like them, are an insult to all that is right with humanity. Their allure by popular culture distracts you from the appauling ploys that are so obvious when you look for them.

Personally they disgust me to the point where i would literally unplug my tv and put the TV in a dumpster if i sat down and watched a full episode because they make me think that there really is no hope for the changes we need to make, displayed on all our televisions.

14. GuitarGirl1350

I like Family Guy. I don't always agree with what they do and say but it's still funny to me. Some things cross lines- a few episodes of South Park crossed lines of humor into offense for me. Only one Family Guy has made me shut it off. Futurama bores me sometimes...and kind of makes me want to blow my brains out before things become that way. A show I can not stand is a new one on ABC...it has David Spade in it...I can not, at present, remember it's title, but the first three minutes of the premiere episode were gay jokes.
    It went like this:
    Character A: I'm in love
    Character B: That's gay
    Character A: No it's not
    Character B: It is when you say that to a guy, I don't care.
    ...more talking...
    Character A: people are going to think you're gay..
    ..more gay jokes...I remember there was about five of them in the first three minutes.

Needless to say, I turned it off right there, ticked that they put this on TV when if it was black jokes they were making, it would be deemed offensive.

15. step49x

I liked the Simpsons and Family Guy. I haven't really watched TV since I started college this past fall, but I think they're fine.

16. brunomo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i watch it every time i can, but i like Family Guy more.

17. RH5893

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My favorite episode is when Homer marries gay couples and marg's sister comes out of the closet it also stirred up a little contraversy

18. Edwin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love love love the Simpsons! Too bad they don''t show it here in Singapore now :frowning2:

19. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love The Simpsons. The greatest invention in history!