1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay themed comic books

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by XTREMEZish, Apr 9, 2014.

1. XTREMEZish

So I was really disappointed when I walked into my local comic book shop and they didn't have any comic books with a gay protagonist. So does anyone know a comic book with the main character being gay?

2. ThePhoenix

I only know of Green Lantern that was out 2 years ago I don't read many comics it was DC comics earth 2 Green Lantern.

3. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A few spring to mind, Wiccan & Hulkling from Young Avengers, Midnighter & Apollo from Stormwatch, Karolina Dean from Runaways, and Batwoman from, well, Batwoman.

4. An0n

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Strangers in Paradise

5. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bunker from the New 52 Teen Titans is gay. A little stereotypical though.

6. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Northstar from marvel

7. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was actually surprised that the comic scene is actually very hetero normative, I thought it would have a ton of variety, nonetheless I have 2 recommendations:

1) Young Avengers- critically acclaimed series starring an openly gay couple- Wiccan and Hulkling, they are amazing characters and their portrayal is quite great. Near the end of the series it is hinted that almost the whole team is actually either gay or bi. It's a great book, I'd give it a try.

2) Batwoman- I haven't actually read this series but I've heard great things of it. The art is fantastic too.

8. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I say sterotypical I mean Bunker is camp but not very much. It doesn't seem like they're making fun of gay people but more like they're just making a feminine gay teen, which do exist obviously.

9. musicgirl18

I know of two lesbian comics that just started coming out recently, one called LumberJanes, and the other I can't remember what the title is but the main character's name is Riley and she is a wild Indian(India) Princess. From the looks of the Autostraddle reviews the seem pretty cool! I'm gunna have to check out Batwoman, I've heard people talking about it but I've never seen the comic myself. I've always thought that Batwoman is badass though, so I'll probably love it. :grin:

10. KrnlKrazy

KrnlKrazy Guest

I met a guy who made a "gay" comic about high school. Called Scotch and Hairdye. If you can find it, its worth a read. Though it feels as it should be a movie the way the panels go and I could see it being a slower paced, silent kind of movie.