1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Max Blum from Happy Endings?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Zeevie, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Zeevie

Hi :icon_bigg

So, I'm doing my Thesis on the representation of LGBT+ characters on television, and one character I focus on in particular is Max Blum from Happy Endings (a sadly now-cancelled ABC comedy.)

After some research, I've found that people have been quite split on what they thought of him. Some said he was refreshing and love that he broke a lot of gay stereotypes, yet some others said that he was "not realistic" or "not gay enough."

I was wondering if I could get your opinions on him as a character? Did you like/dislike him? Why? Did you like/dislike the depiction of his sexuality? Did you like/dislike how the writers/actor handled the character? Why/not?

It's just for me to gauge some differing opinions and reactions from someone other than myself (I know nobody personally who watched the show), nothing will be published.

Personally, I really loved his character (and all the other characters too) and miss the show dearly.

Thanks! :icon_wink

2. 741852963

To be honest hes the only gay guy on TV I feel I can relate to.

I'd say I have a very similar sense of humour to him (I'm always told I'm very sarcastic and dry - although I never like to mock people). I'm also quite slovenly, and my wardrobe consists entirely of "comfy" well-worn clothes; he majority of which don't fit properly/match. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: However I would say Max has a far better dress sense than I do (his clothes aren't faded for a start!). I'd also note that I'm a bit more educated, financially stable and not as bitchy as he is.

I dunno, I just appreciate a bit of a wider representation of gay people on TV. People have very narrow views (likely the result of the media) of what gay men can like and do.

Personally I have a few traits that people might not find "stereotypical" in a gay male:
    -I hate clothes shopping/fashion
    -I love punk rock
    -I love extreme/outdoor sports
    -I love good food and beer
    -I love action films and kung-fu films
    -I like cars and gadgets
    -I'm neither good looking or super-fit (this is a weird presumption many straight women seem to hold)
    -I get along better with men or mixed-sex groups (I feel a bit of an odd one out when left in female only company, spare-wheel and all that!)
    -I love DIY

I also have a few more-stereotypical traits:
    -I'd say I'm somewhat more feminine than your typical straight guy - although most people presume I'm straight when they first meet me
    -I don't really like team sports (although I'll happily sit and watch a big game if there is beer and food provided!)
    -I'm sometimes partial to some chart-pop music
    -I'm a liberal, tree-hugging hippy!

Stereotypes are stereoytpes - nobody fits into a perfect mould (thank god). I've met straight guys who love Lady Gaga, gay guys who love Slayer. *shrugs* Appreciate the diversity I guess!

3. Zeevie

Wow, thank you for your thoughts! This is really cool to read. I loved him as a character too and liked that he broke the mould. I actually identified a lot with Max in some ways (even though I'm a gay lady lol :lol:slight_smile: and really thought that his character was a breath of fresh air. It's nice to hear someone else appreciated him (and the show) too. Such a shame it was cancelled :frowning2: I'm really enjoying writing about him though, so at least I can honour the character in that way :icon_bigg Thanks again!

4. 741852963

Not a problem. Noticed your profile picture, Cosima from Orphan Black? I suppose she is a good example from the "other side", being a very fresh portrayal of a lesbian character. I thought she was written well, with her sexuality not being made into a big issue at all (not used for titillation or embellishment).

5. Kreiger

Max was hilarious, I thought he was a decent representation of a gay man, in that he slept with other men. Saying he "wasn't gay enough" is ridiculous. Honestly I wish there were more gay characters on tv who didn't have being gay as 90%+ of their personality. Honestly, his laziness and dry wit was what I related to more than his sexuality, because the writers did such a good job giving him such a funny personality.

6. MikeNM

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I thought Max was a great character to show that not all of us are flamboyant. Sure I'm bi, not gay, but Max was my favorite character because I related so much to him, sarcasm and all hahah. Really wish that show wasn't cancelled :/

7. 741852963

I think that was what made it great. He was more than just a character to fill a gay slot, he was actually treated like a person and given the depth any straight roles would be given. Normally in TV and film a straight character can have a huge variance in their roles, actions and personality - they can be heroes, villains, optimistic, grouchy, a spy, a family-man you name it. Gay characters on the other-hand are usually only placed there to act out gay stereotypes - usually as a sassy, comic relief companion to a straight female lead character. Need your dowdy female heroine to have a makeover? Bring in the token gay guy!

Happy Endings was a breath of fresh air. I particularly liked the epidode where the different gay subcultures are parodied. I think the notion of pigeon-holing yourself based on something as irrelevant as your body-type (i.e. "I'm big and hairy so I'm a bear", "I'm hairless and skinny so I'm a twink") is unnecessary, self-limiting and just a bit bizarre. The episode really poked fun at the notion that after coming out you have to further squeeze yourself into a label by taking it to extremes to show us the ridiculousness of it.