1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only one who realizes that "Let it Go" is actually kind of a depressing song

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Simple Thoughts, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Simple Thoughts

I was just randomly thinking about this today *randomly has thoughts about things for no reason sometimes*

Seriously...

I hear it called 'empowering' and 'motivational' but it's a song about denial. Her emotional state in the song ( especially if you put it into the context of the narrative ) is a state of denial. She's lying to herself in that song, and almost everything about that song gets ripped apart in the future sequences of the movie. =/

I don't think people know how to interpret music anymore, they just take everything at 'face value' and really the subtle undertones of "Let it Go" are sort of depressing. I'm not super great at explaining myself so I went and looked it up. ^^

NaClhv: An analysis of "Let It Go" in Disney's "Frozen"

I should mention that this is my favorite song in the movie, but I don't see it as 'motivational' or 'uplifting'

#1 Simple Thoughts, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Am I the only one who realizes that "Let it Go" is actually kind of a depressing

You read into art what you want to. I found it particularly uplifting in a time where I was questioning myself... A lot.

And even if you ignore the obvious lgbt message I still like the "fuck it life goes on" message.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Am I the only one who realizes that "Let it Go" is actually kind of a depressing

Denial? Of what? I apologize for not reading the article, but what is she denying? If it's her danger to others, negatory. That's why she ran away to her "kingdom of isolation" to begin with.

I prefer to see it as "I will be who I am if it means sacrificing everything else." It's not an end-all life lesson, but it is an important message.

4. Simple Thoughts

I just put it into it's narrative context and analyzed the subtext...=/

That's it. I didn't slave away trying to find it's hidden meaning. Almost every 'empowering' line in that song has to be exposed as 'crap' later on in the movie before Elsa comes into a true sense of herself.

I swear that song ( as I look at it from a writer's perspective ) is a song about denial. She's lying to herself and trying to convince herself that she can do it on her own and that she doesn't need anyone else. Later on in the movie it's quickly exposed that she does in fact need others...specifically her sister.

"No right, no wrong, no rules for me" <--- that line just had me thinking...umm what? =/

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Alright, I take back what I said before about there being no denial. She initially felt free, but her ice palace was actually a prison for her. I guess she knew deep in her heart that it was not the ideal place for her to live her life.

6. Simple Thoughts

Here I'll post up a particular snippet that kind of addresses this question in particular

"Another line in the song that's a self deception is when she says "You'll never see me cry". Both this line and "the cold never bothered me anyway" are the kind of things said by people who are trying to convince themselves; they are not usually said by people for whom this is simply true. Of course, we do see Elsa cry over Anna at the end, as a testament to the love that Elsa has for her. Again, by negating this very line in the song and shedding tears, she is finally becoming the person she wants to be. Elsa finds her identity and finally comes into her own character, not in embracing the message of these lines in "Let It Go", but in rejecting them in the climax."

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

^I can go with that. Although it could still be the character development of Elsa rather than straight-up denial. She could have considered herself strong once out of the controls of her village, and realized later that her love was more important than letting her powers run amok.

8. jargon

I see it a lot more optimistically. "Let It Go" is Elsa embracing a part of herself that she has had to suppress (or at least thinks she had to suppress) in order to retain the other important things in her life. Does she reject that part of herself again at the end of the movie in order to regain those things? No; she discovers that it is indeed possible for her to have her cake and eat it too when she realizes that she can control and her powers and still be loved and respected by the people around her. Sure, she's a little over the top with her I-don't-need-anyone-else attitude, but I don't think that's the key theme of the song. The real theme is embracing a part of one's identity that was previously a source of shame, and that by itself is a beautiful thing.

9. Simple Thoughts

The thing I have to ask is "Did she really embrace it?"

I don't think she did. She started off locked up in her room all alone, and after "Let it go" she locked herself up all alone in a castle...I mean she got a more spacious living space, but that's about it. She was still heavily in denial about everything and trying to bottle everything up.

---------- Post added 16th Apr 2014 at 08:19 PM ----------

Well to her 'on the surface' it was an empowering moment, and for the sake of character development she also took it this way. What I was pointing out was the clear subtle implications of the song. She was simply 'putting up a front' not truly accepting herself and her sense of identity.

10. Daydream Harp

That is my main issue with that film really, major major soundtrack dissonance going on without it being purposely done as far as I could tell (with the quality of the songs being completely subjective of course, Let It Go is pretty good musically IMO). When I hear the lyric "the cold never bothered me anyways" I don't think "Yay ice castle and smiles" I think "yep everything has gone to shit..." =P

11. BornAnew

I kind of agree in some ways.

"The cold never bothered me anyway" -- the line sounds like a spoilt 12 year old who's had a tantrum LOL ..I thought that when I first listened to the song too

There are parts of the song which are inspiring and uplifting though. It is about letting go of inner perceived demons & so on. At face value it can definitely be seen as far more inspiring than it truly may be... which is why I've taken the songs meaning more at face value...simply as a convenience.

Overall the lyrics definitely make it a mixed bag in terms of the true meaning behind the song. It's a good representation of the initial freedom one feels after escaping oppression!

12. Simple Thoughts

Haha I know right? =p

It just occurred to me randomly. I was thinking about the song itself and then about what was going on in the story at the same time and my brain was like "Hey, you know what? That song is kinda not what it appears to be"

---------- Post added 17th Apr 2014 at 01:31 AM ----------

I really like the song, but I just happened to notice that it wasn't about what it seemed to be about.

13. Daydream Harp

If that was directed at me, then that was not what I was saying at all. I would say it sounds like something a genuinely depressed and beaten down person who feels rejected by the entire world would say after being left out in the cold if anything, which is one of the reasons I feel the over-happy showtune instrumentation of the song doesn't quite fit.

14. BelleFromHell

It can be depressing or uplifting, depending on how you look at it.

15. Simple Thoughts

I think it works for its purpose in the narrative as it is.

=3

16. Foxface

It really comes down to your perspective on the matter

Nobody can say 100% that the song was objectively uplifting or objecively depressing

My view is still that the song was uplifting. To me the prison is her life before she releases her inhibitions. The ice palace to me wasn't a prison. The ice palace is her personal fortress, her creation and her being. The fact that the palace is far away from town to me indicates that her release while healthy and wholesome for Elsa is a frightening experience to those who can't understand her life and meaning

So while some may view this far off palace as a prison, I see it as representing her psyche and the now and newly strengthened fiber of her true being. The fact that it is so-called 'isolated' to me represents a strong and powerful inward journey of introspection.

Really the realization is going to be different for all who view the scene and the song. There is no absolute truth to the meaning. As beings we will attach what we attach to it

17. BornAnew

Oh nope that wasn't directed at you...I was gonna mention that even before I read your post! I've had that opinion on the line since I first heard it in the song & just wanted to express that opinion on here.

It very well may be. But the tone of voice it was said with in the song just reminded me of a spoilt 12 year old saying it to pacify themselves. I really think the line should've been said with a different vocal expression.

18. JohnB

1st of all I read the article, as much as my mind will allow and realized it is nothing but analyzing what happens afterwards and how the song s held towards everything else that comes after. The song is apart of the story not to be compared to every bad thing afterwards.

and BIMO, this song was never meant to be analyzed negatively. Just the song itself is very uplifting, if the incident of her powers coming out and the song wasn't sung, then the story couldn't move along, which would mean there would be nothing to compare it to. The story does not contradict the song, the song is apart of the story.

Basically what it is saying that someone who fears showing their true selves because of what they think will happen afterward, lets it out and realizes the fears were irrational from the beginning.

"Funny how some distance makes everything seem small, and the fears that once controlled me, can't get to me at all."
    Everything isn't as bad it she made it out in the beginning.

"Let the storm rage on. The cold never bothered me anyway"
    This didn't necessarily mean the "cold weather and ice" literally, metaphorically it meant whatever happens afterward, rather it be what others say or do doesn't and won't bother her.

And don't read the whole movie into it, I too had that thought of, "This song is of her wanting to be isolated and alone, that's not good" but I later thought, it was a song about her powers coming out was a good thing, because it got her to accept who she is a little more, it was a HUGE part of discovering what she can do and who she was.

Like how someone coming out of the closet, by accident or not, will always be a good thing because it kinda puts it out there and moves a person along further in life and in finding their true self.

"Let It Go" isn't about Elsa, it is a song generally for anyone who hides who they are. That's the way I see it and many others do too.

This is an article about how Frozen was re-written for "Let It Go":
    Songwriter: 'Frozen' was rewritten for song 'Let It Go'

19. Lorn

I had a different interpretation that was more in line with concepts like toxic shame. As a child Elsa was taught to fear others seeing the true her, the daughter whose powers had almost killed her sister and who needed to be locked up and normalized for her and everyone else's good, and the "I don't need anyone!" aspect is just the heat of the moment. It is a Disney song, after all.

#19 Lorn, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  20. Simple Thoughts

Whoot! Post serving its purpose ^^

I love everything about what you said.

I didn't post this to put a 'bummer' cloud over anyone's head. I really just wanted to get a group discussion going to overanalyze a bit of music for no other reason, but to see what kind of ideas could be pulled from it ^^