1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by girlsnotgrey, Apr 16, 2014.

1. girlsnotgrey

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, fellow bookworms!

I thought it might be fun to start a list of what books people are currently reading. I'm always looking for new ideas, and I love book chats. Feel free to post the title, author, and maybe an opinion if you'd like!

Currently Reading: Daughter of Fortune, by Isabel Allende
    Status: A little over halfway through. It's taken me awhile because I like it enough to keep reading, but I find the pace to be very slow, so I have to keep putting it down and coming back to it.

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

'salem's Lot- Stephen King
    Just started, only a couple chapters in.

V for Vendetta- Alan Moore
    Started today. Reading loads of comics lately, figured since it was a classic might as well. Liking what I'm seeing but only a chapter in.

Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero- Larry Tye
    Nearly done, started couple days ago. Interesting read. Not huge DC guy though. Book was actually a Christmas gift for my dad that never got to him. So reading in his place, you might say.

3. me123

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom.

4. PunkgoesPop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Syrup by Max Barry
    Very satirical, dark comedy, that is totally worth a read, if you're into marketing and product placement :slight_smile:

Wolf of Wall Street by Jordan Belfort
    WILD WILD WILD is all I have to say, so much coke, sex and money in this book, I can't even contain, wooh!

5. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Seriously... I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres.

6. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    About to start reading The Righteous Might: Why Good People Are Divided By Politics And Religion by Jonathan Hadt for my political psychology class.

Should be good.

7. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This may be a long shot, but anyone into murder mystery ones.
    Or can anyone recommend any books about lesbian relationships?

Right now though I am reading criminal based research books for my classes which I have to write a 25 page paper about :slight_smile: 12 down 13 to go :slight_smile:

Weird that I have these two on the same post, but I am interested in both soo....

8. nonbinarym

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In school, Monster by Walter Dean Myers. For myself, Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher and Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan.

9. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Inherent Vice, Thomas Pynchon. First time reading Pynchon, and while obscure, and at times exhausting to read (though described as 'succinct' compared to his earlier novels), I've grown fond of the quirks and mind-bending intricacies, same for the psychedelic sixties Californian setting. If it weren't for the actual IV Wiki, I'd be missing multiple references, although the story itself is meant to be witty and full of esoteric allusions.

As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner. Only seventy or so pages in; I don't know what to say. Am trying not to analyze it too much, but rather take the book for what it is, and hopefully it'll resonate the further I dive into it, or at least by the time I revisit it, if ever. I can appreciate Faulkner's style, and the stream of consciousness in which the novel is written, but at times feels like navigating through a labyrinth of narratives, and question its occasional ambiguity. But it's certainly philosophical.

10. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm currently working through Les Miserables (which is hands down the most beautiful thing I've ever read at times) and Taiko which is an awesome Samurai book.

11. PinkCammelia90

Yay a bookworm thread!

I'm reading The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion right now as a light fluffy break from Sci-Fi. I don't know if I want to read Accelerando by Charles Stross, Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente, or join the band wagon of A Game of Thrones afterwards.

Please tell me if that's a good novel. It's been on my 'umm, errr maybe to-read?' pile for a while now.

12. Kate Lee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've just finished reading the Kate Martinelli series by Laurie King. (Actually I based my username here on that :slight_smile:) It's about Kate, who's a homicide detective and a lesbian. I really liked them. The first one is called A Grave Talent.

I'm about to begin on The Clan of the Cave Bear, looks promising...

13. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Linguistics, for the uni. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm currently reading 3 books.

God is not great: a good atheist book on the problem of religion - by Christopher Hitchens

On the origin of Species: Darwin's ground breaking proposals of evolution - by Charles Darwin

Think: a book on philosophy - by Simon Blackburn

Happy days :slight_smile:

15. Caillin

Im reading this thread :lol: no but seriously im trying to find a good book to read but I can not go to the library due to book fines I never paid.. :tears:

16. An0n

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol. How overdue are those books?

All right Mer De Noms, let's do this.

Twelve Days of Terror - it's about the 1916 New Jersey shark attacks that inspired Jaws. Slow start but the chapters on the attacks are riveting, and the chapters discussing the wounds, shark biology, behaviours etc. make for interesting reading.
    Almost done with this book though. For the most part not the most compelling book but still interesting.

17. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm about to read "Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo since this week is Lenten season..Then next on my list would be The Fault in Our Stars by John Green :slight_smile:

18. Caillin

I honestly have no idea I turned them in but never paid the fine is was pretty expensive though..

19. Azumarion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

20. EyesNeverLie

I'm reading a book called Good Girls Don't by Victoria Dahl. It's good so far!